It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
(female)

imaworrier HB User
Could my 4 year old have celiac disease?

Okay, I've already posted this under IBS, because that's what the doc. thinks it is, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's celiac disease. Here's the deal:
For two years my daughter has complained of frequent stomach aches. We went to the doctors office and she did a stool sample test and tested her for food allergies, everything came up normal.

I tried switching to lactose free milk for several months at a time, it never seemed to help.
Sometimes her stool is really loose, other times it's very green. Lately it seems short of wide and flat, I guess they call that ribbon like. There is never visible blood in it.
Sometimes she complains her stomach hurts, "At the bottom". If she drinks juice, she gets diarrhea. Her stomach aches are never bad enough to make her stop playing or bend over in pain.
I talked to her doctor about it again recently and she said it's probably IBS. But from what I've been reading lately, IBS should only be diagnosed after everything else is ruled out.

Also, at about 1 1/2 she stopped growing normally and only grew 1 inch in 11 months. She dropped from the 60th percentile to the 12th in height. She is not underweight or tired acting by any means (actually, a little hyper), but she does get quite irritable.

Thanks for any ideas.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran

bullun HB User
Re: Could my 4 year old have celiac disease?

Although your daughter has been tested and turned out negative for food allergies, have youe ver tracked her stomach pains in connection to meals she's eaten?

Another option would be to take two weeks and eliminate gluten from her diet. Try looking into a health food store such as Whole Foods which has a healthy supply of baking ingredients, cookies and snacks that are gluten free (not just wheat free) that she would be able to eat. See then if her symptoms dissapate or disappear altogether.

Secondly, it is thought that IBS is brought on by anxiety. Do you notice if your 4yr old tends to worry or fret a lot? As a child I know that this was an issue for myself, the kind of "worry wart' little kid. Do you notice her stomach aches appearing during what might be an overwhelming situation for her? Such as the first day of pre-school, or daycare, etc.

And last but not least, go back the doctor. There is nothing wrong with wanting other potentially more serious conditions ruled out before concluding that your daughter has IBS.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2004, 07:53 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

my sister had IBS for many years...now she's been gluten free for the past four months..she's feeling great..

Old 10-15-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

imaworrier HB User

She is definately not anxious, that is my older daughters problem. But I think after she sees the doctor I will try to switch to gluten free for a while. The problem is, I don't think she'll like a lot of the things. She eats mac and cheese a lot, and the gluten free kind is gross. I'm not sure how she will feel about it, but I do plan to try.
She does tend to have stomach aches after eating high sugar things, but they can strike at any time, but almost always after eating.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

well if your daughter keeps eating mac and cheese she will have very bad health..resulting on serious problems..so its cooking healthy meals for her..or, see her sick forever..its really up to you..in your shoes id gladly cook for my daughter healthy meals and see her have a happy and, healthy life...

remember..you are what you eat..and, you feel what you eat..so if she eats JUNK she will feel like junk...mac>>is Junk

Last edited by Losec20mg; 10-15-2004 at 07:55 PM.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:34 PM   #6
(female)

imaworrier HB User

So nice of you to judge me when you don't even know me. By eating it a lot I meant once or twice a week. My kids eat healthier by far than most people's I know. I by only whole wheat bread, high fiber cereal (only sugar cereal as a special treat), natural peanut butter w/out sugar, my husband makes low-sugar organic jam that they eat, whole wheat tortillas and pasta, organic pasta sauce, whole wheat-low fat pretzels as a snack, baked chicken breasts w/out skin, rarely beef.
If we eat out, it is at a restaurant where they give you an option to eat instead of fries like broccoli or apples, and they almost always have that instead, rarely fries, and even more rarely soda. Almost always milk or water.
She eats raw veggies almost every day at lunch AND dinner, and usually a cooked one with dinner also instead of a starch like potatoes or rice, and fruit at least twice a day. She LOVES broccoli, it is her favorite veg along with red bell peppers and cucumber. She eats all of those a lot more than mac and cheese.
Tonight for dinner she had a cheese quesadilla made with low-fat cheese, whole wheat tortillas, and real butter with added canola oil. Her side was celery sticks. Her snack this evening was an organic apple. I can go on, but it would be redundant.
I just wanted to make clear that I'm aware of healthy eating habits and enforce them with my kids daily.

Old 10-16-2004, 07:56 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ok thats really good of you..but the mac & cheese she should have that twice a year instead.....that stuff is really bad, damages her digestive system....i wouldn't give her that, sorry..thats just me..

Closed Thread