It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 08:15 AM   #16
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Celiac Disease?

yes i believe everything that you said as i too have friends that had similar symptoms and, now they are doing soooooo much better without this nasty gluten..i simply se gluten as SATAN. its really not healthy itys killing lots of people making them miserable and, sickly looking..this stuff was NOT meant to be eatin'. im very educated about this diet..yup, have you tried the Venezian pasta from Italy(100% corn)

see ya later

imagine all the people that are depressed.?? wow, sick!

Last edited by Losec20mg; 04-15-2005 at 08:17 AM.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #17
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

I have tried one corn pasta and it was delicious..There is a gluten free store near me...I made gluten free pizza with goat cheese, and even my brother(an anti-health guy) loved my pizza....I'm eating apples and pears and vegetables, fish, chicken, buffalo meat,(no antiobiotics and growth hormones) free range eggs...I haven't really gave up anything, just replace it with other pastas and pizza crusts...Haven't really tried the bread yet...I'll tell you, I don't understand why some people can't hack this way of eating...I hiked 5 miles today with 30 pounds on my back and made it all the way, didn't get short of breath once....Check out my response to a post about the yeast free or wheat free diet in the diet and nutrition board...This girl needs some help understanding this...Take care..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 07:40 PM   #18
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yes I checked it out thomas, but, people won't believe us..anyways, there is this Italian restorant not to far from my house with a huge gluten free menu, they also have pizzas, canellonis, tortellinis, etc, deserts, etc..i also help out with restaurant menus, because i know lots about this diet..i also make my own spices..and, home made sausages..i live with my sister and, nephews and, this house is full of health foods, organic foods, etc..not an ounce of junk here..

Old 04-17-2005, 04:46 AM   #19
(female)

sungirlcali HB User

wow, I wish I could find a gluten-free Italian restuarant! They usually don't have alternative pasta and pizza dishes (gluten-free pasta or pizza). Oh well!

Last edited by sungirlcali; 04-17-2005 at 04:47 AM.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:23 AM   #20
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey sunygirl where are you from.??

Old 04-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #21
(female)

sungirlcali HB User

Losec, I'm from the bay area of California. You?

Old 04-17-2005, 06:19 PM   #22
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungirlcali
Losec, I'm from the bay area of California. You?
Montreal, Canada

anyways, ok there should be lots of restos there with GF menus, No.?

Old 04-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #23
(female)

sungirlcali HB User

Not that I've found...It's not like they list out the words gluten free on the menus. But I can pretty much find something that I'm pretty sure sounds safe and go with it.

Old 04-17-2005, 07:36 PM   #24
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

lol..its pretty much a piece of meat with steamed veggies.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:19 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

When I eat at restaurants here in not-so-sunny northern Germany, I look for things that come with potaoes -- fortunately, Germans love potatoes! Un-breaded meats or fish, veggies, simple cream sauces (they haven't yet cottoned on to the American habit of thickening everything with wheat), and my favorite: baked potato with veggies and/or chicken strips. Practically everything comes with "Kaese Łeberbacken" -- that means baked with cheese on top -- fortunately I love cheese. I'm glad I don't have a dairy intolerance on top of gluten intolerance. At any rate, I'm always glad when I can find anything on the menu that I can eat -- I figure I can be fussy at home.

It's been a few years since I lived in bay area sunny (sigh) California, but I seem to remember that there were a lot of salad bars 10 years ago. Are they still on every street corner? If I lived there again, I'd probably try to encourage a lot of meetings with friends at salad bars. Beans can serve as both bread and protein exchanges (am I betraying my Weight Watchers experience here???) and corn is also a starch. Then there are all those veggies.

--Rheanna

Old 04-24-2005, 09:45 AM   #26
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User
Smile Re: Celiac Disease?

Hello.
I am new to this group and I would like to share an experience I had over the last few months.
I received a job offer in Texas from a friend of mine that owns and runs a small computer consulting company. Years earlier, I had helped him by letting him live with me when he was down and out.
I thought it would be foolish of me to turn his offer down, so I went for it and relocated with the help of my parents. Due to lack of money, I left most of my belongings in Pennsylvania to pick up at a later date.
When I arrived in Texas I was nervous from day one. My friend lived in a huge house with his wife, two kids and two dogs. They even had a maid.
I received support and encouragement from my friend every day, but something just didn't feel right.
I was gently eased into the job providing help desk support at a big name client site.
The traffic was intense every morning and the job training was basically limited. I was having concentration problems being so green in the IT field. My anxiety started to worsen. I would eat meals every day, but then I started to feel bloated with each meal. I would also have mini-black-outs and severe chills after I ate. I started to analyze my food intake and became obsessed with it.
My friend thought it was all in my head. That I was depressed.
During the Christmas break, my friend and his family traveled to Florida. Having no money to fly home to visit my family, I house-sitted and took care of the dogs for two weeks.
I kept the house clean, even throwing away the Christmas tree when it was shedding too many needles.
New years eve I spent alone in a brand new city. I tried asking some people at work if there was "anything going on" but I guess becuase I was the "new guy", noone felt comfortable to invite me to anything.
When my friend and his family returned from their cruise, all they did is bring up how depressed I looked. Really? I thought.
Well, I guess I got off track, but as the days went by, I was suppossed to be saving money for my big move into my own apartment. My car needed some repair work done and I was also concerned about my health. I felt worn down and I continued to have digestive problems. The chills persisted and my eyes would flare up red and glaze over.
Worried about my health (like most people do) I paid for a doctor visit which was followed up by a blood test. The small company I worked for did not have any medical benefits.
Well, this caused quite a disagreeement with my friend. Again, getting on his high-horse preaching about how I am not sick and I am just depressed. This began to really eat at me. I was told that I haven't been studying any of the required text for my new job and I was just concentrating on how sick I was.

I stayed in their house for about six months. Helping out when I could.
One day, I worked out a budget for what I could spend; figuring rent, utilities, tolls, gas, etc.
I also mentioned that I was concerned about having no medical benefits and no taxes taken out of my paycheck. I will eventually have to report that.
My friend exploded. He was not happy. I wasn't asking for a raise and I was quite happy with what I was receiving. Well, this was my breakdown. For four hours he talked and proceeded to rip me apart. I was told that I wasn't happy from day one and it was a strong sign that I was not willing to commit to the job because I left all my belongings back home. I was told that he would not do anything more for me and that he has a family to focus on and a business to run.
Now, mind you...I quit my job in Pennsylvania, missed my best friend's wedding, and drove to Texas about a week after the job offer was made.
I spent about $90 on tolls a month and $140 in gas. There were exspenses. I still had a huge car payment, insurance and cell phone bill like most people.
So I sat there and took what he dished out. Hardly even uttering a word.
I thought about conversations I had with other co-workers. Neither of them had any medical benfits and they were all underpaid. I guess becuase I was the CEO's friend they thought I could pass this along in an easier way. The company had been around since 1997 but yet it still only had about five employees. That didn't seem like a start-up company to me. In fact, my freind informed me that he had many company ideas that were started, only to be dismantled in a year or so.
In the end, I told him I was leaving the company and I would move out.
That was another argument. The sacrifces that were made for me. The family summer vacation that will not happen because of me. The utility bills that increased in the house because of me; when in fact the children left more TV's and lights on then anyone! I was always turning them off.

I cramed everything I had into my car and borrowed a roof-top carrier for the rest.
I drove home to Pennsylvania in two days.
Now, I am back living with my parents again.
I emailed my freind to let him know I arrived safely but haven't heard a word from him.
I still have not recieved a 1099 tax form or my last paycheck even though I was informed that I would get one.
He claimed before I left that we would still be friends...but it makes me wonder. Would a true friend lash out like that if I really was ill?

I still get chills and the fatigue but I haven't had any black-outs though. I am keeping a journal of the foods I eat. I may have a food intolerance occurring. I have had allergies since I was a baby, so I wouldn't be surprised.

So, I am back home, as I stated and looking for a job. I want to forget that this whole experience ever happened. I think I need to attend classes somewhere to help woth that. I need a new beginning and fast.
Am I still experiencing the symptoms I had in Texas? Yes. I have been to the doctor here and was taking something similiar to Prilosec. I took all the samples and then bought Prilosec and took that for 14 days as directed.

Thank you for your time...I really mean it.

Last edited by WOlfman67; 04-24-2005 at 09:49 AM.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #27
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User
To be continued...

Two days ago, I think I had an overdose of Gluten foods. In the late morning I ate a breakfast hot pocket then for dinner I ate a Subway steak sandwich on honey-oat bread with chips and a beer. Well...that was a big mistake. Saturday morning I woke up with severe belching, some diarehea, mental fogginess and depression.
I went to the doctor and gave him a sample of my stool and he informed me that he could pull blood but the tests are about $700 a pop.
Sheesh.
The doctor will first test the stool for parasites which is the cheapest test.
I just wanted to give everyone a full story and get that out of the way.
Looking back, maybe I always had this digestion/depression problem. I have made some real bad decisions in my life.
I have bought cars I couldn't afford. Quit a job after an argument with my manager. Booked plane tickets to Europe on a whim. I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing anymore. Am I living my life...or am I creating my own depression?
If all along it has been caused by my diet, then I would feel a little better.
One thing that always stood out in my mind, is that wherever I traveled with friends...I was always complaining or I felt sick. I went to Aspen and I was tld I had "elevation sickness". When I went to Ireland I stayed with my buddy in his flat. It felt that my allergies were killing me even there. His flat seemed moldy and my friend smoked.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #28
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

sorry to tell you this but, it sounds like you are in SATANS land..yup with the way you'r eating, no wonder you'r so sick. does sound like you have a food intolarence..it could seriously be gluten, because what you had was all gluten, starting from the pocket to the beer. you really need to stop eating like that, now. i could prescribe you a diet for couple weeks, let me know if you'r interested.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:20 AM   #29
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

Sure, I'll try anything. Although I know this sounds real stupid, but if I have a bachelor party this coming weekend I guess I shouldn't drink? I have a list of do's and dont's and it says that wine is OK.
I want to get better. I bought some Gluten free bread (which tasted horrible) and some GF cereal. (also bland)
What teas should I stay away from? Is peppermint bad?
Is there anywhere on the web that has a current list?

Thansk again!

Old 04-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #30
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

You'll aquire a taste for the alternatives..You're not tasting natural ingredients in the food you normally eat, you're tasting the additives...Make sense? Get off gluten FAST!!!Trust losec and myself, were evangelists when it comes to this...Your gut needs to heal and repair, and then things will change....What's your heritage??

Closed Thread