It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #31
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User
Re: Celiac Disease?

German on my father's side and Welsh on my mother's. DO you think my whole family has it to some degree? My brother has some of the same symptoms I have at times.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:53 PM   #32
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ok follow me

start off with gluten free bread
gluten free pizzas if you like
cookies gluten free
waffles gluten free
snack bars gluten free
regular lays chips
gluten free beer
gluten free cereals
etc..

fruits and, veggies everyday
chicken
steak
porc chops
fish
deer
rabbit
all fresh meat(plain)

gluten free pasta
gluten free sauce
cheese
milk
raisins
nutts(not dry raosted)
Brown rice
wild rice
100% coffee
fruit cups
vanilla ice cream
rice cakes(plain)

remember: Gluten, Msg's, sulfites are additives and, you are surrounded by them..they are in everywhere you look..i call these guys Demons..hey they make me sick and, give me nightmares. I can tolerate msg's and sulfites, but i still stay away from them, because they are bad for the health.

there are lots more stuff you can eat but, for now start with that.

Last edited by Losec20mg; 04-24-2005 at 04:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #33
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Celiac Disease?

Ya know...I'm getting conflicting advice all day.
This website says I can't have any ice cream and you say it's ok?

{url removed - not allowed to post doctor's websites}

Still, I appreciate your food list. Thank you very much.

I made a lunch for tomorrow. Tuna from the can, a little mayonnaise on gluten-free bread. That bread is so hard I could drop it from a building with severe damage to the street!

I also have an apple and a small container of green beans.

I was gonna use the tuna that comes "made-ready" with a mayonnaise mixture, but I thought I better use regular tuna fish.

Hope I did ok...
We will know tomorrow.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-24-2005 at 06:38 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Old 04-24-2005, 06:06 PM   #34
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

By the way...you suggest Gluten-free beer and pizza. Sounds like that's not exactly something that would be written on a label. Can you give me "real" name brands?

Old 04-30-2005, 07:23 PM   #35
(female)

katiegrace HB User

Hi, I have been dealing with celiac spur now for months, I didn't know it till I had the tests done. I am somewhat overwhelmed by this. I have never had much sucess on any diet, I am finding it so hard to stick to this. Someone please tell me it gets easier and I will become more knowledgeable on what I can and can't eat>

Old 04-30-2005, 10:35 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiegrace
Hi, I have been dealing with celiac spur now for months, I didn't know it till I had the tests done. I am somewhat overwhelmed by this. I have never had much sucess on any diet, I am finding it so hard to stick to this. Someone please tell me it gets easier and I will become more knowledgeable on what I can and can't eat>
katiegrace,

Yes, it gets easier to deal with. One of the things you will have to decide for yourself is whether you're going to make every effort to have a gluten-free diet, or if you want to see how far you can "cheat" before you have obvious symptoms that are too uncomfortable to ignore.

I have chosen to be as gluten-free as possible. I have not lost friends because of this -- they ask what they can serve for dinner when we're (my DH and me) invited to their homes for dinner. I have fewer temptations for junk food in my house, because too many of them are wheat-based.

It really helps to have the cooperation of your family to make the house as gluten-free as possible. If your family objects, then you'll have to work with them to keep wheaty things and flour separate from your foods. My husband cooperates by eating gluten-free at home, because he knows he can order anything he wants when we go to a restaurant. He has become an expert at making corn tortillas and buckwheat noodles.

One of the advantages of eliminating wheat from the diet is the opportunity to try other things that you wouldn't have even considered before. I make my own bread with buckwheat and millet and find it really tasty. Bread made without wheat doesn't need to be kneaded -- this saves time and energy.

About the time that I was really feeling sorry for myself about being limited in my choices, I started to hear from friends and read about people who had REALLY serious food allergies. I don't have to worry about dying from being around traces of peanuts. I don't have to worry about explosive diarrhea and major cramps from eating trace amounts of milk (my gluten symptoms are much milder -- I have acid indigestion, that only gets really painful after a few weeks of indulging). In other words, I started noticing that other people have it much worse than I do, and that helped me out of my "feeling sorry for myself" stage -- well, I still do from time to time, but not as bad!

I cook at home mostly. Since I have only gluten-free items at home, I've had the chance to learn new cooking techniques and discover new foods. I can cook Indian, Mexican, German, Japanese, and much more. I have learned to base the starch component of the meal around potatoes, rice, corn, gluten-free pasta, beans, lentils, buckwheat. My diet is much more varied now than it was before.

I've learned to be grateful for the one or two items on a restaurant menu that I can eat, and concentrate on the social reasons for the visit to the restaurant -- I'm there to visit friends, and that's really more important. At parties, I'm glad of the excuse not to overeat, because before I discovered that I have gluten intolerance, I used to not have any control over how much cake and cookies and other crap I stuffed in my mouth.

I haven't lost weight because of not having wheat -- there's still lots of ways to get calories

If you decide that you don't want to be "deprived" of your favorite wheaty foods or eat differently in front of your friends, then that's your choice. But even if you notice that you can eat "this much" wheat without terrible symptoms, you'll still be subjecting your body to extra stress, and the damage is being done to your intestines and other systems in your body. I can't stay on a weight-loss diet, either, just like you. But I also don't like pain. So I think of this diet more as an adventure than as a deprivation.

And I try real hard to remove the "moral" element from any diet. I'm a worthwhile person regardless of which diet I follow. At the moment, I'm merely one who is painfree and healthier, and any value judgments about my morality must be made on other grounds, such as whether I torture babies or rob banks or donate to the animal shelter.

Hang in there -- you'll work out ways to deal with this.

--Rheanna

Old 05-01-2005, 11:22 AM   #37
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

What I want to know is this: What are the exact symptoms anyway?

Old 05-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #38
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

I have a few questions. Some people say that there is a difference between Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance. Some people say that there is no difference. Can you have Gluten Intolerance, but not have the more severe form(Celiac Disease)?

Also, do Gluten Intolerances always run in families? I don't know if I have a Gluten Intolerance or not, but I don't know of any family members that have it. By the way, my background is German, with some Irish, Scottish, and English.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #39
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

have you got acid reflux..there are so many symptoms for celiac..some people have no symptoms at all..

Old 05-02-2005, 03:16 AM   #40
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

I tell ya one thing...I felt OK all yesterday until I ate a sandwich with a roll. Then a little while later...I had one cookie...ONE....and look out! I felt so bloated and full. I tried riding my exercise bike, to "release" any gas or bloating. Helped a little.
What is the worst thing that constant GERD can cause? Do doctors ever operate?

Old 05-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #41
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

Hey Concerned male,

You're gluten intolerant...Your heritage says so....Try the diet...You'll be suprised.. Celiac and subclinical gluten intolerance are different in symptoms....Celiac is severe digestive symptoms(pain, cramps, blood in stools) subclinical can manifest in many different ways...(neurological, mental, psychological)....Best of luck

Old 05-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #42
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

Well...If I am gluten intolerant..why the weight loss? Was that just my anxiety and stress from my job transition?
Damn..I just had chocolate cake too....this is so hard to keep away from everything bad!

I' m concerned about the other symptoms because I get severe chills in my hands and feet and my eyes are dry and burning at times.

I just wonder if it is all related.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #43
(female)

sungirlcali HB User

Wolf, the weight loss is from nutrient deficiency most likely--as complicated by the intolerance to gluten. Once you start cutting out the gluten, you'll feel better (if gluten is the culprit).

Old 05-04-2005, 04:41 AM   #44
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

Hey wolfman,

Go get the book "dangerous grains"...They have documented proof that gluten causes lots of problems...autoimmune, cancer, diabetes, MS, anxiety, depression, etc....Our bodies were not meant to consume it....I feel the same about staying away from junk, it's tough...But it's your health, take charge of it!!!

Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #45
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey thomas we can still have junk..lol cookies(gf), chips, 7-up, cakes(gf)..etc..pizzas(gf)..etc..ya know..the hard thing about this diet is, that you feel isolated from the rest..but, i organize meetings 2 times a month at the resto, where the chefs are aware ..yup its a little more planification but, im never sick ..

Closed Thread