It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
(male)

jurry HB User
Celiac Disease?

Hi. My niece was just diagnosed with Celiac Diease. Is that right? Did I say or spell that right? I was wondering if anyone had any good information on it that I could read.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Celiac Disease?

ok its not that bad of a disease, he's gotta eliminate all gluten products from his diet..that will mean phoneing lots of companies and, checking items with them..as for bread, he will need his own gluten free bread and, pasta aswell..always cook with fresh spices as the powdered spices contain gluten, this means cooking everyday for the rest of his life..no prepared diners for him..thats all over. he can start off with veggies, fruits, fresh chicken, fresh fish, rice, tuna, sardines, home made soups..etc..this means starting over..It's a very healthy diet..also he will need his own taoster, and, all the jars in the frige half to labelled with his name and, no one can take those ..to avoid cross contamination of bread crumbs..This should get you started..He can have alot more stuff but, at the beginning of the diet go as natural as possible..this will heal his gutt and, get back all his strenght

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 09:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

What are the most accurate lab tests to find out if a person has this? Is there any difference between Celiac disease and gluten intolerance?

Old 01-29-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

no there is no difference..if you'r gluten intolerent then you are automatic a Celiac.

Old 02-19-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
(female)

sd1136 HB User

What are the most accurate lab tests to find out if a person has this? Is there any difference between Celiac disease and gluten intolerance?

I am celiac
and i was told gluton intolerance is where there is no damage to the intestines
and celiac there is
BUT there is no difference in treatment
you cannot not eat gluton!
There are blood tests but the drs love the biopsy
but you have to be eating gluton to get a true DX
sandi

Old 04-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Thanks sd1136,
Could you tell me a little more about the biopsy that is used to test for this?

Old 04-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #7

rids HB User

There are 6 of us- we are all GF. Mine all particiapte in more than one sport- so we are always on the move. You learn to pack tupperware containers with GF foods, and we have a mini-fridge/heater that plugs into the van for yogurts or to keep things warm. I also carry plenty of fresh fruit & rice cakes. It just takes more thought- and forces you to eat healthy, as well as being cheaper if you do it correctly, without buying alot of "replacements". There is little nutrition in fast food anyway. When we travel, we always get a room with a fridge & microwave. Instead of going out to eat- I go to the grocery store.
C-GA

A great substitute for breading is mashed potato flakes.

Last edited by rids; 04-13-2005 at 10:17 AM.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

rids you are correct, i just make sandwiches with tomatoes and, salad for my lunches and, slice of cheese and, fruits..supper is always diferent and, more interesting..but, i rarely go out to eat, and, when i do i go to restos with GF menus there are plenty round here..so basically, im living a regular life..just takes a bit of planning .. don't give guys, it will get better(promise)

take care yall xox

Old 04-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #9

PETALS1 HB User

Yes, I do agree. Being organized is key. I just didn't want it to be as cd was no big deal. It is learning factor. You have to educate your self and find support groups to help out.(Well I do!) W/G show up in things you would not think of. Such as licking envelopes, mouthwash, make-up, etc. I have been gf since aug. Of course I've made mistakes, but you learn from them.
I have side effects such as weight gain.(40lbs since july) People usally lose weight. Every one is different. Having a doctor that listens to you is such a plus.
Good luck!!
Debbie

Old 04-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

if you'r gaining, means you are on the right track. I also gained like almost 70lbs in like 14 months. im 100% gluten free, I just know it, cuz I feel good.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:59 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

The symptoms that I suffer with are severe exhaustion/fatigue 24/7, major short-term memory loss, and low concentration. I know that fatigue can be a symptom of celiac disease, but what about short-term memory loss?

Old 04-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

that too. the short term can be related to celiac disease.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

Hey Losec20mg. I would like to talk to you.....Do you have a support group somewhere????

Old 04-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i cannot give out personal information out here, tis against the rules.. but you can ask stuff here maybe i can help

Old 04-15-2005, 08:39 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User
Talking Re: Celiac Disease?

Hey Losec,

I never had any celiac symptoms(gastro) but it started with panic, anxiety, bad sinus headaches, tingling sensations, ear problems. etc...Went to numerous docs and could find nothing wrong with me...The problem is when we have mental symptoms we look to the brain to find causes, when we should be looking at the gut...I was listening to a radio program by Dr. William G. Timmins, and he was saying if you have any irish, dutch, swedish, or english heritage, you have gluten intolerance to some degree...I finally figured it out after 10 months that this was a problem...I stopped eating the gliadin containing foods and my ears are already clearing up...My anxiety is calming and the fog is lifting...This is something that the walking wounded should consider...That is people who feel lousy and don't have a clear diagnosis...I firmly believe that this is an underlying cause to many ailments out there including mental illnesses....Also, I look at a gluten free diet as a way of life, it's not difficult, it's simply the way we're supposed to eat and stay healthy....I can live without junk food, don't need to eat out, and found pasta and pizza alternatives(my favorite foods) Your posts have truly inspired me, and I wish more people would give this a go...Take care...

Last edited by thomas3000; 04-15-2005 at 08:41 AM.

Closed Thread