It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

lorka150 HB User
Celiac Disease

Hi everyone,

Has anyone self-diagnosed this? I don't know if I have it... Got the tests done, but haven't come back yet (the bloodtests).

Would anyone who has it recommend just testing it out myself, having a completely gluten free diet? Or should I wait for the 'go ahead'?

Old 08-03-2005, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Celiac Disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorka150
Hi everyone,

Has anyone self-diagnosed this? I don't know if I have it... Got the tests done, but haven't come back yet (the bloodtests).

Would anyone who has it recommend just testing it out myself, having a completely gluten free diet? Or should I wait for the 'go ahead'?
lorka,

I went gluten-free after moving to Germany, where the wheat appears to have a higher gluten content than in America. I developed major acid indigestion, with pain so bad that I couldn't sleep. When I started getting a "funny" feeling in my upper intestine, I started researching on the internet, and found information about celiac disease/intolerance. Since my regular doctor didn't believe me when I proposed celiac as a possible diagnosis, it was months before I found someone who would give me the blood tests and intestinal inspection. By that time I had started learning how to eat all the food groups without gluten, so the tests showed nothing (the damage to the intestines heals when no longer assaulted by gluten, and the antibodies in the blood go away after a few months when no wheat/gluten is present in the diet). I may or may not actually have gluten intolerance, but I am convinced that gluten is a problem for me. I call celiac "my cool disease I found on the internet" because it hasn't been officially diagnosed. After I stopped eating gluten, my stomach and intestines started healing.

If your tests come back positive, then welcome to the world of celiac! There are websites which will give you information on adjusting your diet to eliminate wheat/rye/barley. If you feel that you have problems with particular foods but your tests come back negative, you can try elimination diets. There is information on this here in various threads. Feel free to ask questions.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

My husband had the biopsy to confirm celiac disease, but we decided we could have just as easily tried a gluten free diet and judge from the results. He was in pain before the diet and it very quickly went away after a few days. He watches his diet and has not had a problem since.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i waited all my life for doctors to diagnose me with celiac, trust me i was sick for like 'Ever'..if you could try the diet then do it, if you feel better then keep eating gluten free.. if not you might wait forever to get diagnosed, and you know that feeling that way is not normal.. If I would of known 20 years ago I would of gone on the diet along time ago.. But no one ever told me about gluten.. it might just be it, give the diet a try and, see how you feel. My sister is on the same diet as me she, figures "my brother has it then I have it too".. she did have all the symptoms, she also never got tested.. ok

Good luck to you

PS: you'r alright rheanna

Last edited by Losec20mg; 08-03-2005 at 07:27 PM.

Closed Thread