It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User
Celiac Disease/diet

Hello everybody, I am Kelley and pleased to meet you all. I've been having random problems for a long time now and my doctor now believes that I have Celiac Disese and has put me on the standard gluten free diet. The diet seems to be helping but I've noticed something very weird; if I haven't eaten in around 1-2 hours I get horribly exhausted and can't think at all. This is a lot of what was going wrong with me before-sleeping all the time and brain malfunctions- but now it comes on very strong and at the drop of a hat. Is this normal for being on a gluten free diet? I'll feel great and then all of a sudden I will actually fall asleep from being so exhausted and won't function again until about 20 minutes after i eat something. My dad suggested that it is from not eating carbs now? If anyone can shed light on this it would be fantastic, thanks so much!
-Kelley

Old 02-05-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Celiac Disease/diet

kelley_bsb,

A gluten-free diet does not mean a low- or no-carb diet. It means finding other carbs to eat besides wheat, rye, barley or oats. There are products labeled "gluten-free" in health-food stores and in some well-stocked supermarkets.

I base my meals on rice, buckwheat, corn, potatoes. My balance of proteins, fats and carbs is basically the same as before I went on a gluten-free diet. I have no problems maintaining my energy for 4-5 hours till the next meal.

Some possibilities to consider:

If your intestines have been damaged from the gluten, you may have cut so much carbs out of your diet that your damaged intestines are no longer getting enough nutrients from calories or vitamins/minerals from the smaller amounts of carbs you are now eating. This should change as your intestine heals.

If you are simply not eating ANY complex carbs (because you don't yet know what else to eat in place of the usual bready things), then you may simply be experiencing low blood sugar. Make sure that each meal includes slow-digesting carbs (potatoes, rice, corn, beans, "grains" such as buckwheat, amarant or quinoa). There are some good websites that give advice on learning about eating new foods and learning to read labels.

Another possibility is that you are eating gluten as one of the "hidden" ingredients in some food. You need to learn to look for the "secret code words" in the ingredients list. Soy sauce is half wheat. Most cornflakes include malt, which comes from barley. Tiny amounts of wheat are listed in many seasoning mixes and sauces. Ground spices often have wheat in them to make them pour more easily and not clump up -- this is not listed in the ingredients list, but you will find this out when you research more about celiac. I buy whole spices and grind my own. Rocquefort cheese is made from mold grown on rye and is listed as a no-no for celiacs.

Perhaps someone else on these boards can suggest some other reasons why you might be having drops in energy. Discuss this with your doctor, and see if you can find a group in your area that has info on celiac. I hope you are able to track down the cause, because having a gluten-free diet *should* give you more energy and health, once your body has had a chance to heal.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User
Re: Celiac Disease/diet

Thank you for your reply Rheanna and all the info. I've learned very quickly that lots of foods I would never had guessed contain gluten. I talked to my parents about my energy drops and we are trying to find sources of coplex carbohydrates that I can eat. Every day I am doing a little better! I have discovered the Gluten-Free Pantry products and am so happy that I can still bake cookies and brownies that I can eat and that taste delicious!
I have been sick for a very long time-over a year and a half now- and am wondering if most or all could be tied to gluten problems because I am feeling so much better now. I look healthier too, I'm not as pale and I seem to be getting circulation back into my hands and feet. How old are most people when they are diagnosed with Celiac Disease? I am 17 currently and am wondering why it wouldn't have shown up sooner that I am intolerant to gluten

Closed Thread