It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

alamaz HB User
Celiac disease anyone?

I was diagnosed today with celiac disease (allergic to gluten/wheat products). Surprisingly enough, celiac disease can cause miscarriages and infertility problems if not diagnosed and caught. So, I've had the miscarriages and feel like I have something that can explain possibly why. I was just wondering if any one else here has celiac disease and how they cope with the restricitve diet and also TTC.
Thanks,
Amy

Old 02-21-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eurokelly HB User
Re: Celiac disease anyone?

Hi Amy, I don't have any insights for you - just wanted to post to say whilst i am so sorry you have something else to cope with on top on TTC, it would be good if you have a definite answer to your problems and a way to resolve them hey? I think it sounds as though you are being positive, I hope so and I wish you all the very best of luck and dust xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Alamaz I don't know if you remember me but I also have celiac disease. It really stinks to be honest. Eating gluten free is a huge challenge, but it is possible. Most grocery stores have an organic section with lots of gluten free things like pasta, bread, canned goods, and condiments. I will be honest though many of those products don't taste good at all. I have found some pasta and canned goods that are good, but you have to experiment with the different varieties. I eat a lot of mexican with 100% corn shells, lots of rice, fresh fruits and veggies, and lots of protein. I still haven't totally figured out how to eat at restaurants though. I also had a m/c when I wasn't following the diet, so there is truth to that. Good luck and I will check back in if you need support!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Amy 333 HB User

I understand its not easy copy with any other health issues when TTC. However its better when you are aware of the problem that way you can deal with it and hopefully get pregnant quicker. I was facing the same problem last week when above the TTC matter and a previously diagnosed blood problem i have now got to know my thyriod s not functioning normally. In Fact this might also have been the cause of my m/ c last summer. At 1st i was angry but now i realise its better knowing where i stand.

A friend of mine has the same problem though after eliminating problem foods she got pregnant after 2 months. It take some time to get used to the new eating habits though since you ve got such an imp goal as TTC i am sure you ll manage.

Take care of yourself
Another Amy

Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
(female)

alamaz HB User

Thank for your responses. It's a funny thing to be happy to be diagnosed with this disease because for three years I've had non-descript symptoms that most doctors and probably my family blew off as being a hypochondriac. So now that I know I'm not crazy, I feel soooo much better

Amy- I wish you lots of luck in figuring out your thyroid problem. A lot of women who I work with have similar issues. It seems to be so common!

Megss- I do remember you. How are you feeling these days? I was over on the pregnancy board with you and we were both due in September. I had a m/c in January at 7 weeks and never had the heart to go on that board and let every one know. I felt like I'd bring bad vibes or something. I am up for the challange of eating GF even though I know it will be diffucult. I have an appt. with a nutritionist in the coming weeks so hopefully that will help me beging to recognize what I can and can't eat. Any tips would be more than welcome! It's a good thing I like to cook because I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot more of that from now on!

Amy

Old 02-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

I am beginning to feel a bit better...the morning noon and night sickness is starting to fade. I am sorry about your m/c, it is so heartbreaking, but I am glad you are getting ready to try again I'll bet you get pregnant again soon and stay that way now that you will be eating gluten free
I would suggest printing off a food list which you can find on the net. It will give you a list a good and bad ingredients. I keep mine on the refrigerator so it is handy. You will be surprised at the things that contain gluten, such as catsup, mustard, and mayo...who knew! It is definately not just bread. Also regular salt and pepper are no-no's, so you have to use sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Look out for any spices that have bread crumbs or pepper mixed in. Most salad dressings, sauces, and soy sauce contain gluten, and so does store bought shredded cheese. After awhile you will learn what contains gluten and what doesn't, but in the mean time I would educate yourself as much as possible.
My other advice to just be creative in the kitchen otherwise you will drive yourself nuts with eating the same things over and over again! They also sell gluten free cook books at book stores for people like us.
On the plus side...it is a very healthy diet!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #7
(female)

alamaz HB User

salt and pepper???? wow, i have a lot to learn. thanks for the F.Y.I i might call to see if that nutritionist appointment can be moved up a few weeks.

Amy

Old 02-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
(female)

Tigrilla HB User

I know how hard it is to have food restrictions, but I really want to encourage you to not cheat. With this disease, even one piece of bread can cause significant damage the villi in your intestines, which take a long time to grow back. My aunt had celiac and she did not manage it well, and died from complications due to the disease last summer (she was in her early 40s). She was eating the right foods but still cheating and she refused to go to the dr, which is why it became so extreme. I don't want to scare you, just let you know that it is manageable and you will feel a lot better, but this is not the type of thing where it is ok to cheat even when you have been really good.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Hi there! I also have Celiac's and my hubby and I are/ were (we are on a short break while we move) TTC. I was diagnosed in November, and I was TOTALLY bummed out. It is a HUGE adjustment at first. All the risks of cross contamination, not being able to eat out, and the bad tasting food. It has been a lot of trial and error. I dont think we are able to post brand names on here, or otherwise I could recommend a few products I have found. I really wish there was a celiac's forum on this site. That would have helped me a lot. Good luck! I hope that now that you will be getting the right nutrition for your body you will feel better and concieve in no time! I also eat a lot of mexican, omlets, chicken, fruits an veggies. But there are a few REALLY great products out there. Does anyone know if we can post those things on here?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Oh, I forgot to add. I never heard that you couldnt eat salt and pepper. I know that some people are bothered by iodinized salt, and others are fine. I never heard not to eat pepper. And I buy shredded cheddar cheese. You cant eat some cheeses like blue cheese because it is made in a bread bowl, but others are fine. Am I incorrect in thinking its ok to buy shredded cheddar? My dietician said it was ok.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #11
(female)

alamaz HB User

Thanks for all of your responses! I'm finding out how common this disease is it's kinda scary! When I suggested to my dr. to test she brushed it off as "hype" but agreed to test me. Now of course she is eating her words..... I don't understand the whole cross contamination thing. It would be nice if this site offered a celiac board. I've found several other websites that include message boards which has helped. Good luck pugluver with your move and thanks for the advice - and ditto on the eating out thing. My sister will be in town next week for business and asked me if i want to go to dinner and I had to decline- total bummer!
Amy

Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

There are a few places that have gluten free menus. You can always look them up online before you go, and when you get there, explain to the waiter that your salad needs to be mixed in a clean bowl, etc. Its a bit of a hassel. Depending on where you live, there may be a support group near you. I live in Chicago, and there are several here. I was able to get a list of restraunts certified by the celiac society as having "gluten free menus and being educated on cross contamination." Oh yeah, you said you didnt understand the cross contamination thing. Its basically getting "glutened" from something other than what you are directly eating. Such as making gluten free toast in a toaster that had regular bread in it before. Or sharing a peanut butter jar with a regular bread user, and they double dip the knife. It only takes the size equivelent of 1/16th of a grain of rice to cause intestinal damage. An amount that small probably wouldnt even make you physically sick, so you have to be REALLY careful about cross contamination. Get a new toaster, peanut butter, cutting boards. Dont let restraunts mix your salad in a bowl that had a salad with croutons in it before. Its a pain, but you will get the hang of it. Now a lot of companies are labeling food as gluten free. Make sure you dont buy something because it says "wheat free" Wheat free does not mean gluten free. And watch for companies that produce food on machinary shared with wheat products. Flour is very fine and can float through the air and settle on other products before they are packaged. I know that you are probably feeling overwhelmed right now. I literally sank into a deep depression when I found out. I thought my life as I knew it was over. And.. it was. But a better one has started. I feel so much better! And I have found a lot of great foods. Its just trial and error. I really wish this site had a celiac board. I see the disease mentioned in tons of threads. I recommended it at the top in the topic " suggestions for new boards." Maybe it would help if you recommended it too. Take care.

Last edited by pugluver31902; 02-23-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #13
(female)

alamaz HB User

Pugluver- I'm in Arlington Heights (NW Burbs). My sister will be in Chicago next week- do you have a restaurant to recommend? I do feel overwhelmed but hopefully once I see the dietician I will feel more like I can eat in general (today I've had celery with peanut butter and a pear I'm SO hungry!) I will definitely make a recommendation for a celiac board. Thanks for the support!
Amy

Old 02-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

Here are some restraunts that I enjoy.
Joyful's (in Lisle)
Da Luciano's (not sure exactly what town it is in, look it up on its website, lol)
On the border (bring your own chips)
Outback Steakhouse
Maggiono's
and a bunch more. Search gluten free restraunts chicago land

Does anyone know if we can post brand name suggestions on here? Well here are some

Enviro Kids - Animal cookies : vanilla

Enviro Kids - Peanut butter panda puffs cereal

Energy- Wylde Pretzles

Fruit Bu- organic smooshed fruit ( kinda like an all natural fruit roll-up with no added sugar)

Kinnickinick- K-Toos sandwich cookis: vanilla is the BEST!!!!, chocolate is not to bad either

Perky-o's frosted cereal - not to bad, better with cut up bannana

Erewhon - brown rice cereal- I was skeptical, but turned out to be pretty good!

S'Better Farms- Gluten Free chicken fingers (I can not get enough of them!)

Gluten Free Pantry - Choclate chip cookie mix

Gluten Free Brownie mix- a lot of people like to add two cups choclate chips to it, but they get harder a little faster that way

Cause Your Special - Moist Yellow Cake Mix

Gluten Free Pantry - skillet meals (I havent tried them, but Mike likes them)

Quaker oats rice snacks (cheddar, ranch, apple cinnomin, carmel)
Cheetos
Fritos
Most store bought french fry's (not restraunt ones, they are fried in wheat oil)
Mexican food minus tortilla's

Whole Foods Market in Wheaton has a very large gluten free selection. If you go to the service desk, they will give you a print out of everything that is gluten and dairy free. They have a small gluten free isle, but most of the stuff is scattered throughout the store.

Natural Health Foods on Ogden in Naperville is a gluten free store, except for the back rack. They have stuff I cant find anywhere else, but some of the stuff is a little more expensive than whole foods, although they have better products.

Fruitful Yield has some stuff too.

Here is the list of Gluten's, if you want it!

Wheat
Barely
Oats
Rye
Malt
Spelt
Bulgur
Couscous
Kamut
Semolina
Tricticale
Einkorn
Udon
Tabbouleh
Seitan
Dextrin - if manufactured outside of the U.S.
Bran
Modified Wheat starch
Modified Food Starch
Brewer's Yeast
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Matzo
Soy Sauce - some are gluten free, most are not
Teriyaki Sauce - unless made with gluten free soy souce
Blue Cheese - is made in a mold of bread

You can also make Veggi and cheese omlets, peanut butter on rice cakes, chicken salad's, meat and cheese roll-ups, veggie's n dip, banana's in milk, and there are TONS of good gluten free baking recipe's online. A really good book is "Beyond Ricecakes" and a must read book on celiac's is " Celiac Disease : a hidden epidemic" It has a good section about infertility in it.

Hope this helps you out a bit!

Last edited by pugluver31902; 02-23-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Oh pepper and shredded cheese sometimes contain flour so that it doesn't stick together. That is what I was told.

Closed Thread