It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User
Celiac Disease + Menstruation Problems?

I was fairly recently diagnosed with celiac disease - a little over a year ago - things have been going MUCH BETTER, but are still new to me.

The only thing is, about two years ago, when I was 18, I stopped getting my period. I am now 20 and I am STILL not getting my period. I have tried going on hormones, getting pelvic ultrasounds, etc, and everything appears normal. I was just wondering, could there be a connection between menstruation and celiac disease?

I know that may sound ridiculous, but my doctors are REALLY stumped and I'm SO frustrated!

Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User
Re: Celiac Disease + Menstruation Problems?

It is not uncommon for undiagnosed Celiac's or Celiac's who do not strictly follow the gluten free diet, to not have a period. This is bc a celiac eating gluten is blocking thier intestines from absorbing nutrients. If your body doesnt have enough nutrients, you wont have a period. So your body may just need time to build the nutrients back up. Are you following the gluten free diet and making sure you arent getting cross contamination?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

innerstrength86 HB User

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am following the diet/lifestyle very closely. I know my body wasn't getting all the vitamins I needed (hair loss, brittle nails for instance) but things seem to be back to "normal". (I am not underweight either...)

Oh well, I am not asking for anyone to solve my mystery, haha, just wondered if anyone heard/knew of a connection between the two.

I'm going to try going back on birth control and hopefully see what happens. CROSSING MY FINGERS! because I'm really getting worried!

Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
(female)

pugluver31902 HB User

It very well could be that your body just hasnt gotten all of its nutrients back and stored up. Good luck!

Closed Thread