It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

gut11 HB User
Unhappy celiac disease and the connection to mental illness.

I suffer from coeliac deseise, this is an intolerence to gluton. I was told by my consultant that a large number of mothers with coeliac then went on to produce children that grew up to suffer from mental illness. My adult son suffers from mental illness and i am sure there is a connection.
I would like to here from other people as I truly feel that pregnant mothers should be screened. I would like to do some research and need your help. I was also told about this connection from a phychiatrist and I think the government should consider screening.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
(male)

moldman HB User
Re: celiac disease and the connection to mental illness.

Mental disease is the garbage can for all doctors whose other favorite saying is, "I don't know."

The irritable bowel, celiac disease-like conditions fall into a pile of disorders that the Merck Manual lumps together (about 13) expecting the doctor to do differential diagnostics to rule the possiblity of each one before putting a label on it.

Two of the group are Sprue and Tropical Sprue. Sprue is a gluten intolerant condition but the Tropical Sprue may be a microbial overgrowth.

Always consider that 'mental diseases' passed on 'through families' may be something as simple as a physical disease that is passed on because the family members live together so it is easy to acquire the same infection.

Systemic Candidiasis (yeast infection in entire body) has been connected with 'mental' disorders and cancer.

I would ask the doctor how they arrived at the name of the disease and if there are no clinical tests (just an opinion) I would find a new doctor.

Last edited by moldman; 10-18-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread