It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User
Question celiac disease...plase help

im being tested for celiac disease, im 20 and female. ive had a long history of prblems i never souht help for until recently. i suffer from depression and anxiety anyway so it was all masked as having sensitive bowels i think, due to my not so varied diet. i also years ago(like 5) had a bit of an eating restriction problem were id only eat cereal bars and like 2 a day and exercised like crazy. i got over that in a few years.

my main problems are chronic constipation and i have an upset tummy a lot. i also get the odd bit of diahhreea. as a child i could not take dairy products for a while and ended up woth bad diahhrea, very malnourished loking and weak. it went away eentually with my mums freinds arty farty cure. however to this day the odd time i play up i dont actually like milk so i dont get as many problems. i do however like hot chocolate as its the only calcium i get really, afterward though i get bloated and a sore tummy, crampy and can either be constipate or have a bit of looseness in stools or diahrrea.

i try and work with it, i know wheat is supposed to spead up movements, i try and eat a lot of it but instead im very constipated a lot. for th last while its been very hard to pass stool and ofen its very mucsy, dont know if it means anything but i also have a lot of vaginal mucus and often my underwear is wet with mucus and what i think may actually be urine.

im being tested now because my depression and anxiety has improved and im still getting these problems. it interfears in the mornings if i have to go anywhere, i am very uncomfortable and can have a bad tummy in the mornings especially from last nights food, sometimes it is mostly pure water, it does not smell great either and can often be messy. if its not liquidy it can be loose and i find it hard to completley clean as it sticks and is very soft, it looks a bit greasy. (sorry for the gory details). i had barley last week and ended up with diahrrea, then i ate a lot of cheese and the same thing happened. i cant go out and enjoy myself because i need to know were there is a toilet, and after eating out i often end up with a very bad tummy and toilet issues and a feeling of being gasy and i end up bloated. ive recently found myself rather weak and can be shaky at times.

i am not underweight but i am extremly fatauged a lot, i sleep a lot of the time, tasks are hard to do sometimes because i end up wrecked. ive also had bouts of what feels like flu, i get it often and when im tired. m muscles ache and my joints become stiff and sore, it feels like ive pulled all my muscles and i feel heavy and tired. i am not anemic i was tested a few months ago, but it did show my white blood cell count was lowering and lowering, apparently it can be a sign of celiac when a certain white blood cell count is low. another thing that worries me is that although i try and get all my calcium and i think i do with cheese, but my teeth are not the strongest, i brush and try everything but every time im at the dentist i end up with more fillings. she says the enamel on my teeth is wearing away, my teeth are covered in white patches and are very sensitive, she said its the beginning of deay. apparently tooth enamels problems can be a sign also.

i never know what to eat as somtimes i can manage it, im used to dscomfort so it just becomes on a scale and i decide were im at with it and if i should eat whatevere it is. one thing though that is motifying is when ive eaten something i shouldnt have, even if it was the night before or just half an hour ago, my tummy begins to gurgling and churns very loudly. its embarressing and feels like my stomach is having problems. last night i was sat with my boyfreind and i started gurgling, he put his ear against my tummy and said it sounded like a band was playing in there, there was lots of gurgling and churning. i listened to his but he was silent. its hard when im sat in a quiet classroom.

no one really seems to know much about it. does anyone know about how to stop stomach gurgling here? and i know celiac is mainly diahhrea but i heard constipation can be a sign too-please help, any ideas, advice, does this sound like celiac, its hard because my blood tests arent back for 2 weeks but im desperate for an answer.

thanks, xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: celiac disease...plase help

pucca_chick,

You may or may not have celiac, but it sounds like you definitely have a milk digestion problem. I suggest that you drop milk products and cheese from your diet completely. It doesn't matter how much calcium you eat if your body isn't digesting it.

There are other ways to get calcium in your diet. Sesame seeds and dark green leafy veggies like spinach and collard greens are high in calcium. And there are supplements that will give you the calcium that you need.

It really sounds like your body doesn't like milk products. There are lots of people in the world who lack the enzymes necessary for digesting milk and cheese. And they get along just fine without it.

Start with that and see if that clears up some of your problems. Then you can experiment with a gluten-free diet later.

--Rheanna

Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
(female)

VA_girl HB User

Try taking some suppliments also, I take mag and calcium vitamins every day. I've rarely heard of people being constipated with dairy problems, but it is more common to have that problem with celiac. It sounds more like celiac to me from what you've described, but you really don't know until to you try the diet.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
(female)

bleigh HB User

Hopefully you will eat vegetables, fruit, and meat. You can have a wonderfully nutritious diet without dairy or gluten. Unfortunately I understand where you're coming from as I get a bit of travel anxiety when I'm worried about where the next toilet may be. I have the tummy gurgling and the gotta go now problem too. It's always after eating most dairy and gluten. You just have to find out what foods cause this and avoid them.

You can get a ton of calcium from other sources than dairy. The suggestions already made are perfect examples. Hopefully your doctor can suggest how much supplements you may need and should be able to guide you through an elimination diet while ensuring you're getting all of your nutritional requirements met.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pucca_chick HB User

hey guys thanks for replying. well i havent had diahrrea latley, but constipation. i have had bad cramping, it is not even when eating, i mean its continous cos i eat but i wake up with it and any food and its worse. the constipation has caused a lot of cramping, today i was walking along, it happens at times were i get a sudden sharp pain in my left lower abdomen, its the type of pain that makes me legs go weak and i feel surreal, i almost trip up. but in a few econds its gone again. ive missed all but one of my classes this week cos ive just slept, its all ive done. i went to bed on thursday night at 12, slept to 7:30 in the mornin as i had one class, went to it and felt awful, half way thru my tummy started gurgling, then i got extremley hungery. i went and had a pasta salad and an energizer oat bar(mistake). i came home and collapsed into bed, it horrible, i feel incredibly heavy, like i can hardly move and its that tiredness youd only get if youve been up 4 days in a row or somthing. i missed the rest of my classes and slept from 10:30 to 2:30 in the afternoon. i then went to my mentor for an appointment and was in a trance and felt a bit nauseas, i could feel myself cramping, id tried going to the toilet, nothing worked. came home, had some soup and bread, got more cramping, managed to pass a little stool but hardly anything, it was like rabit pellets, im also mucusy. i then slept from 6-11 that night, got up, went for a walk, then was soooo tired but couldnt sleep anymore. ive been getting very very hot these days, i know its warm but i feel almost on fire at times, little excertion and im sweating embarressingly, i feel i smell maybe even tho im clean, ive woken up half dressed but sticking to my sheets and im actually wet. my body was sore with muscles ache too. i slept from 4 in the morning when i eventually did sleep to 1:00 today, and im still tired.

i went to the toilet today though. i felt crampy this morning only slightly. does anyone somtimes feel they cant go and then within half an hour not even, they feel like it will actually explode out of you? i feel pressure suddenly and i get very uncomfortable and an upset tummy, i can never tell then if its diahhrea or not. i went to the toilet, not a lot came out but it was a bit loser, this time though, as always it goes straight to the bottom, sometimes thought it sticks to me. its messy trying to stay clean as i have mucus when im wiping and somtimes although ive passed a softish stool and the toilet doesnt how im watery or too lose, when i wipe there is some liquid stool, some of it is lightly runny, i have to manually at times defeciate whatever i havent managed to compltley get out, it is soft and shiny, can be runny a bit , mucusy and it smells slightly foul. sorry for the details, its not good. right now i feel ok apart from tired as ive just gone to the toilet. often after going i feel slight pain in my lower abdomen, around the inside of my rectum can feel sore or burns at times.

ive been living off soup these days, but i have bread with it. i think i had indigestion a few days there, i kept getting sharp pains in my chest every so often and then several times a day i kept bringing up acid into my throat, it dried my throat out which didnt help me.

i count myself lucky though-my freind just got taken in for appendicitis-it sound excruciating!

im waiting my results next week. knowing my luck no one will know what it is and ill have no answer. as for the diet, i didnt want to start yet as any testing then is useless. if i do need to go gluten free itll be hard i think, especially with restaurants. i live in a small student house and itll be awkward having to prepare food away from others so as not to get contaminated. but in truth if it helped all these problems id do it. does anyone else have the same toilet issues here and digestive problems? why would be stool be slightly runny despite it being passed whole?

thanks, xx

Old 05-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

pucca_chick,

Yes, please keep us posted on the results of the test when they come in.

It is sometimes a hassle to figure out how to eat a gluten-free diet. But the difference in how I feel with and without gluten is enormous. So it's worth the hassle for me.

I would suggest, even if the tests come back indicating that you don't have celiac, that a trial month or two on a gluten (and milk) free diet might allow you to see if your health improves. My tests came back negative for celiac, but, as you indicated, I had already tried going gluten-free for several months before I could find a doctor who would take me seriously and actually give me the tests, so perhaps there were no antibodies left in my body for the tests to find.

But I always regret it when I have even a little gluten. I don't have a problem with milk products, but it is not uncommon for that to go hand-in-hand with celiac.

Good luck on finding out what your dietary problems stem from.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread