It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 AM   #1
(female)

Gobi0308 HB User
Cause of anemia....celiac disease

So I have been seriously anemic for about 7-10 years. I had gone to two hematologists who completely misdiagnosed me, put me through 2 unnecessary anaphylactic shock experiences from iron infusions and they just never really took the time to read my blood work well.

Well my PCP really made the effort and figured it out. I have celiac disease. All of the symptoms were there and he ended up sending out my blood work to screen me for celiac after I went back to him because of my horrible experiences with the hematologists. He never even told me he was doing it, it just came to him one day. I owe him so much.

Celiac is hard to diagnose and anemia is one of the symptoms along with many others. Since I've been gluten free for about 3 days I feel tremendous! Perhaps some of you share my symptoms which included, restless sleep, many food sensitivities which I just ignored, couldn't drink beer, my liver enzymes were high and of course the anemia.

Wish everyone well.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User
Re: Cause of anemia....celiac disease

Thanks for sharing your story. There is nothing more annoying than a doctor that won't listen to their patient. I'm glad that you now know what is wrong and start on the road to recovery.

I have started on a gluten free diet about 2 months ago. My doctor wanted me to try it for autoimmune issues (Hashimoto's thyroid disease) to see if it helped there. I was also anemic and she wanted to make sure I wasn't having absorpion issues. She wants me to try it for 3 months because she said it takes that long for your intestinal lining to regenerate itself.

I don't think this is my problem though because I, unlike you, have not seen any miracles with this diet. Without seeing some external benefits, it is a hard diet to be on. If I could see some improvements I'm sure it would be easier to stick to. I'm so glad you are seeing benefits.

You are going to feel like a new person after finding your diagnosis and in the process of fixing this, your anemia is going to be resolved.

BTW, I have a niece that has Celiac and she had to go through several blood transfusions and was sent to Emory for testing as they thought she may have cancer. Turned out through a biopsy of her intestines she had Celiac, went on gluten free diet, and grew 2 inches in a month's time. She has been healthy ever since, no more anemia or severe stomach aches, and she ended up a pretty normal height.

Last edited by herekittykitty; 04-26-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
(female)

Gobi0308 HB User

From what I have read celiac is on the rise, one of the most misdiagnosed diseases since the symptoms are so similar to many gastrointestinal issues, it's hereditary and adult onset celiac is very common. Guess I should've figured it out when I couldn't drink my Corona's anymore, used to get an immediate headache after 2 sips.

I'm a runner and my running has improved significantly since I don't feel achy and I just have more energy.

Did you not get screened for Celiac? I've learned you have to be your advocate and really do your research and always get a second opinion. That's why places such as this site are so helpful.

Wish you all the best.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I agree, Celiacs or even a milder form of gluten intolerance is often overlooked.

I saw something on TV recently where scientists had come up with a vaccine for Celiacs and i believe it's in one of those trial phases. It would be good if it works as those who are affected badly by this do find it difficult attending parties, weddings, dinners, restuarants etc.

Some people can have gluten intolerance or full blown Celiacs and not have any symtpoms, apart from being low in things like ferritin and/or other things too.

I had a blood test, but i got 18 on my results and the maximum range was 15. Now they have changed the lab ranges and the maximum range is 20 and this puts me just under, meaning i'm not gluten intolerant. Regardless, having Hashimoto's Thyroiditis my thyroid doctor has also told me to keep gluten products to a minimum or exclude them.

I still have my toast/cereal for breakfast, but then exclude gluten from lunch and dinner. I don't feel any different, but by excluding pasta and bread from my main meals it forces me to be a bit more creative and i likely eat a broader range of foods. it used to be easy to throw in 2 slices of bread and some ham/cheese/tomato for work lunch, but now i'm having some extremely creative salads for lunch and for morning tea i'll have a mix of brazil nuts, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, pistachio's, macadamia nuts along with either a banana, apple or orange. This is probably a healthier way to eat anyway.

I'd also like to share something my cousin got me on to: rice cakes with hommus, rocket, smoked salmon slice and dill. This has to be the tastiest thing ever and surprisingly filling too

Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Hi Gobi,
I did not have the Celiac panel done. My doctor wanted to try me on gluten free because of the anemia and autoimmune thyroid disease I have. She believes that gluten intolerance is a main cause of these issues and wanted me to try the gluten free diet for 3 months to see if I have any improvement in either of these issues.

Audrey,
I have been using rice cakes as my bread. I used to eat toast with peanut butter on it, so now I eat peanut butter rice cakes and rice cakes with tuna salad. I haven't tried it with hummus, but I have been eating hummus with gluten free taco chips. Ummm.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
(female)

high enzymes HB User

How did they treat the aneminia?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
. . . I have been using rice cakes as my bread. I used to eat toast with peanut butter on it, so now I eat peanut butter rice cakes and rice cakes with tuna salad . . .
Just a heads-up: Quaker Oats rice cakes are not gluten free. I ate them for the first few weeks I went GF and couldn't figure out why I wasn't feeling better. All Quaker products are cross-contaminated with wheat.

Food for Life makes delicious brown rice tortillas. If you'd like something softer and shelf stable (the Food for Life ones are frozen) La Tortilla Factory makes GF tortilla wraps from teff.

Closed Thread