It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
(male)

vad HB User
New diagnosed w/ Celiac Disease, now Hypoglycemia?

Hi,

I just have a quick question. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 2 weeks ago after a confirmed biopsy and blood test. My Celiac Disease was fairly severe with almost total villi flattening. With this, I've also had a pacemaker put in last year, put on meds for low blood pressure this year and been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy a couple months ago after a biopsy/tests were done. I am also seeing a Hematologist this months due to off and on anemia with low retic counts (bone marrow production of red blood cells). All and all, this has been a rough year for me at age 23.

Over the course of this last year, I've had many hospital visits and about 50% of the time, they would tell me my blood sugar is low on the blood test results. I never thought anything of it, but last week I had another blood test come back showing a low random glucose of 2.9. My GP thinks I may have reactive hypoglycemia because this isn't the first it has been low after eating (probably 5 or 6 hospital documented cases). Anyways, my question is:

Does anybody know if my Celiac's Disease could be causing this hypoglycemia or if low blood pressure could contribute to it? My GP thinks it is unrelated, but how can one 23 year old have so many "unrelated" issues? Also, she warned it is a precursor for Type 2 diabetes, which runs heavily in my family (all men on dad's side diagnosed with type 2 diabetes before 30). I am scared this is going to be my fate as well. I am 5'8" 155lbs and an active runner/weight lifter. Is it possible this is a prediabetes type symptom or more likely celiac related?

Any info helps, thanks in advance.

Last edited by vad; 12-10-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: New diagnosed w/ Celiac Disease, now Hypoglycemia?

Sorry I'm not an expert, but I can tell you what I have seen from others. Celiac and diabetes often run hand in hand. While they are not really related, they are often seen together. Your doc is right. Reactive hypoglycemia can lead to type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, my Mom has it and is 75 years old and is not anywhere near T2. So you may, in fact, never get diabetes.

Trying to keep your blood sugars stable will help you feel better. This means not eating high carb (or fast acting carb) and when you do eat carb, to eat it with some protein or fat to prolong the release. This should help a bit.

Try to relax and deal with the celiac. It is the most pressing issue. Keep in mind that diabetes can be controlled, if you do even get it, and will not limit your life.

Sorry I can't be more help. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
(female)

alaskawild HB User

What type of reading is the 2.9. Is it mg/dl. mg/dl doesn't do decimals, at least not on my son's meter. He has type 1 diabetes. If it is 2.9mg that is extremely low. Thats close to death. I know alot of diabetics and I've never heard of that low of a reading. I agree with everything the last post said. No high glycemic index cards and have the carbs you eat with some protein and/or fat. Also perhaps six small meals a day. I've also read about the low blood sugar being a precursor do type 2 but your not overweight so maybe your just having too many simple carbs and then having a really low blood sugar reaction. Something strange is going on with such a low blood sugar. Seeing a hematologist is a good idea.

Beth

Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

I'm going to take the conversation in a different direction. You've been diagnosed with Celiac disease, an autoimmune disease. The truth of the matter is that 1 in 22 Type 1 diabetics have Celiac disease! You are not overweight, young... I think you need to discuss with an endocrinologist the possibility that you might be developing a slow onset T1, aka Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood. Yes, it's possible you're pre-T2, but I would feel safer knowing you've been checked for GAD antibodies (for T1), and a C-peptide level. A glucose tolerance test might be a helpful tool too. Celiac could inhibit your nutrient absorption, but I'd rule out a pancreatic problem as well.

Alaska-- 2.9mmol/dl is a Canadian/european measurement equivalent to about 52 mg/dl. Low, not brain-damagingly low (under 50).

Wallis

Last edited by Wallis86; 12-08-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Closed Thread