HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Celiac Disease (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/celiac-disease/)
-   -   Hypothyroid and Celiacs disease (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/celiac-disease/742575-hypothyroid-celiacs-disease.html)

AndreaL 04-01-2010 09:10 AM

Hypothyroid and Celiacs disease

I have written on this board previously as I have been searching for a diagnosis of my illness thorugh Dr's appointments etc. I am in my 17th week of pregnancy and have been unwell since week 5 with nausea, some sickness a tender stomach with severe bloating and constipation. After ever meal I feel very full (more so than usual) and as though someone straps a tight belt around me making me feel extrememly uncomfortable and sometimes breathless. Dr put the nausea down to pregnancy but other symptoms he wasn't sure of, a stomach ulcer and hiatus hernia had been suggested but further investigation ruled those out.
I saw a gastoenterologist yesterday who arranged for me to have a blood test looking for celiacs disease.
I have since read that those with a thyroid disorder (I have been underactive since aged 10) are prone to celiacs and pregnancy can also trigger it.

Can anyone here offer any advice? I have to wait a ridicilous 2weeks until I get the blood test result back confirming celiacs or not. In the mean time I am trying a gluten free diet regardless as I am desperate to feel well again.

Thanks in advance for replies.

javelina 04-01-2010 12:08 PM

Re: Hypothyroid and Celiacs disease

Going gluten-free is sometimes the best way to diagnose Celiac's. So no harm doing that while you wait for the test results.

Also if your thyroid isn't properly treated you will not only have a miserable pregnancy, you run the risk of having miscarriage or other complications. Are you getting your free T3 and free T4 levels tested? Have you been tested for Hashimoto's? Also you need to check your vitamin D, B12, and ferritin to make sure no deficiencies exist there either.

AndreaL 04-01-2010 01:54 PM

[QUOTE=javelina;4216980]Going gluten-free is sometimes the best way to diagnose Celiac's. So no harm doing that while you wait for the test results.

Also if your thyroid isn't properly treated you will not only have a miserable pregnancy, you run the risk of having miscarriage or other complications. Are you getting your free T3 and free T4 levels tested? Have you been tested for Hashimoto's? Also you need to check your vitamin D, B12, and ferritin to make sure no deficiencies exist there either.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply. I make sure my thyroid is kept monitored because I had issues with my previous pregnancy when the Dr told me it didn't need monitoring during pregnancy but on demanding a test it proved that my levels had actually decreased so I know to keep strictly on top of my thyroid during pregnancy. I know I have the B12 checked but not sure of the other 2 that you mention so I will seek advice about those from my midwife. Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.

Bran'sNana 04-01-2010 05:20 PM

Yes they ARE related, some say untreated celiac can lead to thyroid dysfunction. My daughter was diagnosed last month with vague symptoms but some you describe, some bloating, fullness etc.. the gluten free diet has really helped alleviate it. She tested positive but still had to have a endoscopy with biopsy to confirm. The villi in the small intestine become damaged and you can't absorb your nutrients. This will lead to vitamin deficiencies,anemia, osteoporosis,and other organ dysfunction or worse if you keep eating gluten. There are many sites out there to help,you need your vitamin levels checked also. I have a combo of Graves and Hashi's although was treated for Graves. I have been trying to unravel this auto immune thing with me since my Mom doesn't have a thyroid disorder,as far as I know(had tests, she's 86) but has had signs of celiac for about 30 years. We will both be tested sooner or later although I don't really have symptoms but I have researched it a lot and supposedly, you don't need to have a lot of classic symptoms at all to have it. Even joint pain can be a symptom,or depression and anxiety which are thyroid symptoms too. I hope you get an answer soon but try the diet for 2 weeks (you can find a list of no no foods on the internet) but mostly wheat, barley and rye so NO bread,baked goods,all that carb stuff except for rice. They sell a lot of gluten free foods now and there are foods that are naturally gluten free. You can start out with just meat, potatoes, rice and fruit at first, then add more as you go along. It's hard at first but if you know what to avoid it's not so bad and you won't feel sick anymore, you'll be healthier and you won't be damaging your intestines. Good luck to you!;)