It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
(male)

flegma3124 HB User
Celiac disease

Hey I was wondering if anyone has any info on it. Almost everything I eat causes me extreme stomach pain which is followed by diarriah. I have this 2 to 3 times a day, every day for 16 years. I had two endoscopys and a colonoscopy but wasn't diagnosed. I also cannot gain any weight. For as long as I can remember I've been 135 lb and I'm 22 right now. My mom is anemic I heard it has something to do with celiacs. I just can't figure out what this could be but I'm sick of it. Please help. Thank you.

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk

Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

Stabevrian HB User
Re: Celiac disease

I just had a random blood test because I was having some weird symptoms and it came back positive for celiac and I need to have an endoscopy to confirm it. If you suspect it, you should have the simple blood test.

Or if you don't want to do that, try going gluten free and see if you feel better.

My symptoms were more upper left quadrant pain and rib cage pain. I am anemic too though! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

c6309 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flegma3124 View Post
Hey I was wondering if anyone has any info on it. Almost everything I eat causes me extreme stomach pain which is followed by diarriah. I have this 2 to 3 times a day, every day for 16 years. I had two endoscopys and a colonoscopy but wasn't diagnosed. I also cannot gain any weight. For as long as I can remember I've been 135 lb and I'm 22 right now. My mom is anemic I heard it has something to do with celiacs. I just can't figure out what this could be but I'm sick of it. Please help. Thank you.

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk
What is your reaction to stopping the ingestion of wheat ? Is there more than one allergy ?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
(male)

flegma3124 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6309 View Post
What is your reaction to stopping the ingestion of wheat ? Is there more than one allergy ?
I never tried to stop eating gluten before because i don't know what its in, same as wheat. i know its in like bread and cheese i think. allergy? i have no allergies whatsoever except this one to gluten. I would try to stop eating it but it just seems like everything i eat causes the pain and then im running to the bathroom. also my mom is anemic if i didnt mention it before and my sister has the exact same stomach problem as me, also for about 16 years now.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
(female)

sanrun HB User

I was DX with Celiac in last January. I've had some problems with anemia and low iron levels my whole life. I'm a woman, but I didn't have the usual reasons for anemia. I'm healthy and athletic, too. I've been taking iron supplements BID for 23 years. About 16 years ago, I start having issues with diahrea. I would get flare ups, so it seemed like IBS. The last couple of years it had gotten a lot worse, so I went in for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. The villi in my intestinal track were flattened, so that indicate Celiac. Also, detected was Microscopic Colitis. Seems like your doctors would have detected those things after your biopsies came back.

You could try the Gluten Free diet, it's not that big of a deal. I was bummed out at first after my DX, but I have adjusted and it's really not that bad. There are a lot of Gluten Free foods out there, so you can usually find things that you like. They do cost more! Eating out is a little tricky, too. I feel a lot better now and don't have horrible "bathroom" issues, so I'm happy being Gluten Free!

sanrun

Old 08-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Info on celiac; http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/celiacdisease.html

Other symptoms of celiac you might notice are poor eyesight, being short for your age, bad enamel on your teeth, lots of cavities, migraines, clumbsiness, "pins and needles" feeing in your hands and feet, carpopedal spasms - where your fingers or toes feel like they're curling up by themselves, bone and/or joint pains, other autoimmune disorders in yourself or your family. (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, sojgren's syndrome, hypo or hyper thyroid, or an itchy skin rash that comes and goes) A family history of liver disease or colon cancer could point to celiac too.

Celiac is an inherited autoimmune disorder, not an allergy. It's important because celiac can cause very serious long term problems that allergies don't.

The blood tests are called the "Celiac Panel". With the endoscope, you usually can't see celiac with the naked eye, the damage is very patchy and widespread so your doc would need to take 6 or more biopsies of your small intestine and send them off to a special lab to be tested for celiac. (biopsies of the stomach don't count)

Don't try going gluten free before being tested, it'll make it look negative even if you're really positive. (you could go back on gluten for 2 to 4 months and then be tested)

Gluten isn't in cheese, it's in wheat, rye, most oats and barley. Although, lots of folks, including many celiacs, are lactose intolerant. Lactose is a type of sugar found in dairy products like cheese, milk, ice cream, etc.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/lactoseintolerance.html

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 08-22-2010 at 03:20 AM.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #7
(female)

kedzie HB User

My sister in law has something very similar. She gets very ill when she eats gluten or wheat and has a hard time gaining weight (she is very thin). She's had this issue for about 7 years and has been to many doctors, but they tell her it is not celiac disease. She went on a gluten free diet and has been ok since then, but is still very thin. I would suggest changing your diet around (gluten/wheat free, or even try lactose free) and see if that helps. I know gluten free is very expensive (whenever she comes to visit we buy food to accommodate her intolerance and yikes), but you will feel so much better physically. Your body will thank you. Hang in there!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
(female)

jwmom7172 HB User

Google celiacs disease and find the celiacs organization. You will learn all kinds of things there to help you. Since Celiacs is genetic, if your mom has it, you are definitely a candidate for the disease. There is a list of all the grains you should avoid such as, wheat, oats, barley, malt and rye. There are more, but just google for a list of foods to be avoided. I wish you the best.

Closed Thread