It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
(female)

koober1 HB User
Dr. says Gluten intolerance, is this the same thing as celiac disease?

This question is in regards to my 3 year old son. I finally found a dr that would run tests on him and he came back with around 30 food sensativities. Oh his IgG he had about 30 (one of them being gluten, scored a 3) and on his IgE he had about 5 allergies, one of them being wheat. So we put him on a gluten free/casien free diet and also cut out the other foods he had sensitivities too. He also had blood work done before the diet and his ferritin levels were 14 (low) and his iron was really high. 5 months later, since starting diet, we retested some things and his ferritin levels went up 5 points (19), iron levels in blood went down 30 points (139 still high but better). Hes' not vitamin d defiecent anymore and his glucose levels improved along with some other things.

Anyway.... is this celiac disease? My dr has never straight out called it that but from what I am reading about it and my sons symptoms (bloated stomach, always had really mushy stools before diet, purple rings under his eyes all the time, brittle hair, super skinny besides bloated stomach, stimming behaviors, very significant speech delay....)

any info would be great!

Last edited by koober1; 03-02-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Dr. says Gluten intolerance, is this the same thing as celiac disease?

First off, I'm glad to hear your son is doing better!

People with simple gluten intolerance do not produce antibodies to gluten and do not have damage to their intestinal lining. They are not in danger of developing further autoimmune diseases or cancer.

I do think he should be eval'ed by a gastroenterologist, preferably at a larger city hospital (a not-for-profit or teaching hospital). They'll have more experience with celiac in young children than most local docs.

The blood tests for celiac, called the Celiac Panel, will not be accurate in someone who's already on the GF diet. They look for antibodies to gluten, antibodies are formed in response to gluten, so they won't be there in a gluten free (or even g-lite) diet. And young children sometimes test negative even when they do have celiac - another reason why a celiac experienced gastro is important.

Here's the Panel:
tTG-IgA or tissue transglutaminase-IgA
AGA-IgG or Antigliadin IgG
(gliadin is another word for gluten)
AGA-IgA or Antigliadin IGA
Total IGA

They'll often also test liver enzymes, as celiac can damage the liver and/or cause liver disease.

If it is celiac, docs need to know how much damage has been done to the intestinal lining. (we absorb many of our nutrients thru our intestinal lining) The final diagnosis is made through endoscopic biopsy of the lower small intestine.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 03-03-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
(female)

koober1 HB User

I would hate to take him off his diet. He's doing so much better on it. Does it really matter if he gets the actual diagnosis if he's on the diet already and getting vitamin supplements for his deficiencies?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, it matters, but . . .

The gastro doc may not care about him already being on the diet, he may do the biopsy anyway (it can take up to two years for the small intestine to heal after starting the GF diet) or he may test him for celiac genes instead.

Positive gene tests wouldn't be a diagnosis by itself, but those and an obvious medical history of malabsorption + a positive response to the GF diet, would equal a very real celiac dx!

The celiac dx is important because celiac carries much higher health risks than simple gluten intolerance or wheat allergy. Even after dx, diligently gluten free celiacs are at higher risk for juvenile diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and juvenile arthritis, thyroid disease, liver disease, skin diseases and lymphoma. These disorders are not related to malnutrition - they are the effects of autoimmune disease.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
(female)

koober1 HB User

Sorry, one more question =-)

My son also had very high arbinose yeast levels in his gut. Do celiacs have that? Issues with yeast?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've never heard of that myself. Now I have something to go look up!

I know yeast overgrowth can be a problem with certain types of medications, antibiotics, immunosuppressant medications, like for rheumatoid arthritis or chemo for cancer . . . ?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
(female)

koober1 HB User

My son was born 3 months premature and was given a lot of steriods and was on inhalers for lung issues the first couple years of his life. He's not on them anymore, but i wonder if that was the cause of the yeast. But I also wonder if thats why he had issues absorbing vitmains and such, cause of his prematurity.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
(female)

koober1 HB User

Nope no gluten. The dr gives us all his vitamins and he's very good about making sure they have no gluten/soy/casein...... in them.

Thank you so much for your opinion.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ah ha! Those darn corticosteroids!!! Yes! They cause yeast problems and slow maturation.

I've been on them too, besides celiac I've had juvenile arthritis since I was 18months old. I'm in my forties now and I've had to go on steriods a number of times throughout the years. I'm 5'4, probably should have been 5'6 or 5'7, was always a bit behind my classmates.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 03-03-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
(female)

koober1 HB User

Ever since we got him on his diet and got him away from all his food sensitivities, he hasn't needed his inhaler or his allergy meds.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
(male)

Dyusten HB User

Thank You for your insite about celiac disease now I understand why I tested negative for celiac disease. Via blood test And have been glutin free for about 3 years now.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
(female)

paperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB User

Like everyone has said, there are blood tests for Celiac Disease, but if he's been gluten free then they wont be accurate. Same with the biopsy.

It could be Celiac Disease, but it could be an intolerance.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. If he's getting that sort of relief from a gluten free diet then leave him on it! Blood tests and biopsies can be inaccurate, sometimes people who have Celiac Disease are negative.

Closed Thread