It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

hmirm HB User
What do you do in a house full of gluten?

I was diagnosed 7 months ago and have been gluten free since. I'm feeling better but not as good as I had hoped.

I am the main cook in our house and prepare foods with gluten for my husband and two boys. I have my own toaster and colander, but do not have separate utensils, pans, mixing bowls, etc. I make sure not to double dip spoons or use the same cutting boards during food preparation, but is this enough? Is there more I should be doing?

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

whoknowsthedeal HB User
Re: What do you do in a house full of gluten?

you should be completely gluten free, your husband & kids probably won't know they're eating gf. there are some delicious gf recipies, you shouldn't have any gluten in your house, get rid of all of it.

good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
(male)

Paul61 HB User

It sounds like you're doing a good job. If you feel fine and the doctor says your tests are good, there's no need to overdo it.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #4
(female)

paperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB Userpaperbgprinces HB User

It is very difficult and I think it's impossible for you in your situation to live in a completely gluten free house.

I live in a flat with 4 others who eat gluten. I have my own toaster, but I use everything they use.

When people go gluten free, they often don't feel 'better'. I know that I expected to feel like a new person, but it didn't happen.

Some people become mildly lactose intolerant when they go gluten free, so you might want to avoid lactose for a while and introduce it slowly back in.

Just do the best you can. =]

Old 04-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
(female)

ssofalvi HB Userssofalvi HB User

There is a great book by Elizabeth Hassleback about her struggle with going g-free. I found it inspiring, practical and full of pertenet info, like how to get out of eaing gluten at dinner parties! Definetly worth it for anyone that is newish to the g-free, and even those vetrans looking for more info. It definetly helped me to make the transition with less stress nad more acceptance.

Eventually, it is best to have all your own dishes. You don't need it if it is glass, but plastic get small scratches and chips that are great places for gluten to hide. The way I understand it, it doesn't really matter if you eat a sandwhich or a bread crumb (if it is celiac and not a sensitivity to gluten) you are going to be sick and feel bad.
Hope this helps!!
February 23, 2010 - Injury on the job.
March 03, 2011 - Two-level fusion at L4-L5-S1 with hardware and lamenectomy.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
(female)

emerrube HB User

how long have you been gluten free? I've heard it can take up to a year to feel completely better. I was shocked to read that! Good luck to you though!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
(female)

cbg10 HB User

I see you have some great answers to your question. The only thing I would add is MAKE SURE that others are not double dipping. With our casual eating habits now and everyone so busy, butter, oleo, jellies are easy for someone to make a quickie sandwich and forget about them swiping the knife over their breads, etc. I am sure you have already thought of this but just to be sure............... sounds like you are getting it all together. Good luck!!cbg10

Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
(female)

jhiney HB User

I am new to this forum but have had biopsy proven celiac for 3-4 years (lose track of time). I also live with my husband and 2 sons--soon to be 12 and 15. I do all the cooking and it is 95% GF--which of course is very expensive. When I pack lunches for them, I use regular bread, etc. I only eat from glass and everything goes in the dishwasher. My family is very supportive and prefer to have me try to adapt meals so that we can all eat together. Of course, when they want pizza, they order it and I eat something else because we live where there is no GF takeout pizza available. We do make homeade pizza but they prefer their own crust, so I make two kinds. We of course have two toasters, and things that might cause cross contamination such as butter, jelly, etc have clearly written with black sharpie on top and sides of them MOM. Over time, it gets easier and families adjust, taste buds change, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhiney For This Useful Post:
ssofalvi (08-02-2011)
Closed Thread