It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

Melandjer HB UserMelandjer HB User
Unhappy Please help....celiac??

Several years ago I gave up red meat because of the gastrointestinal issues I was having (thinking it was too fatty/rich). However, symptoms have gotten worse as time has gone on. And i think it might be the gluten in my diet. If I've had gluten-rich items I can barely finish my meal before I need to use the bathroom. The cramps can be literally gut wrenching with gassiness and often oily stools. In addition, I may have 10+ bowel movements per day and they are always urgent. I had a colonoscopy last year (I'm 50!!) and aside from a small polyp all was normal. The last few days I have cut gluten from my diet and feel more comfortable. Celiac?? And is there any reason that I can't simply cut gluten from my diet, or do I need a formal Dx? Thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
(male)

souriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB User
Re: Please help....celiac??

a simple blood test will show if you are at risk of celiacs
if its possetive and you want to know if its celiacs and not just gluten intolerance you will need a biopcy
you can just go on a gluten free diet if you did not want to know
but if you decide to have the blood test it is important not to go on a gluten free diet first or it will come back negative

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
(female)

bethlany77 HB User
Re: Please help....celiac??

I tested negative twice for celiac, though later found out I clearly was. Typical blood tests are about 75% accurate and only then if you have been eating gluten regularly. Get tested, if its positive well then you know what to do. If its negative and all other blood tests do not point to any other health issues then it doesnt hurt at all to try the diet and you dont need a dx to do so. The hard part is knowing what a gluten free diet truly is. Even non gluten items..ie plain potatoe chips, corn tortillas, etc.. ran on the same product line as gluten items will get 300-3000 ppm of cross contamination and it only takes 50 ppm to get/keep you sick. So only eat food labeled gluten free, or items naturally known to be gluten free...ie fresh vegies and fresh fruit and foods that are varifyed gluten free by the manufacturer via inquiries to the company. Great lists of gluten free food can be easily found online.

I eat very well and just about anything you can imagine and all gluten free and yummy. Feel free to ask questions about meal suggestions if you want.

Also to know if gluten is the problem it can take anywhere from weeks to months on the diet to see major improvement. For me I started getting better at 3 months and significantly healed around 6 months. Good luck

Closed Thread

Tags
celiac, gluten