It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
(female)

rayon HB User
Caeliacs and autoimmune thyroid disease

Hi,
I have posted on a number of boards as I try to get to the bottom of what has been going on with my health lately. Normally healthy I have had migraines, low thyroid and high prolactin over the last few months. Recently I have had blood tests done that show I have raised platelets.

I posted on the blood and blood vessel board and the migraine board and someone suggested I could have CD on the blod vessel board. As I read Iabout this a lot of what I have been experiencing is startting to make sense.

One thing I am interested in is the connection between thyroid disease and CD. I had Graves Disease when I was younge and it was treated with RAI. A lot of the articles about thyroid disease seem to relate mainly to Hashimotos. Is it possible to develop Hashimotos after GD? Is it possible that I actually already had CD at the time I had GD. I do remember having excrutiating abdominal pain at the time that felt like severe acid reflux. I put this down to exam stress at the time. Can this thing flair up and then go away?

As I am going to an endo for the first time in more than 10 years this Tuesday, are there any questions I should have for him? Is it likely that he would pick up on passible CD?

Thanks for all your help. Sorry for all the questions!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
(female)

Clarityc HB User
Re: Caeliacs and autoimmune thyroid disease

Hi Rayon

It is possible to have hypothyroidism ('iatrogenic hypothyroidism') after treatment with radioactive iodine but this is usually temporary (lasting about 3 months) and is typically discovered on screening before it causes symptoms. [The term 'Hashimoto's' refers to a particular type of hypothyroidism - Hashimoto's can't be caused by radioactive iodine therapy]

Both Graves' and Hashimoto's are associated with other autoimmune conditions like Coeliac disease, but this is relatively uncommon. Coeliac disease normally presents with mild intermittent diarrhoea and abdominal discomfort on a background of weakness and fatigue (it's caused by an intolerance to foods containing gluten eg. wheat, rye and barley), but this doesn't quite sound like what you've experienced in the past.

The diagnosis of Coeliac disease can be made by biopsy (taking small tissue samples) during your endoscopy. If there is clinical suspicion of CD, your doctor can also take some blood to check for specific antibodies associated with the condition.

Hope this helps.

C.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
(female)

rayon HB User
Re: Caeliacs and autoimmune thyroid disease

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I have been hypothyroid since I had Radio Iodine and have taken levothyroxine for more nearly ten years. I think the consultant intended to knock my thyroid out because my case of Graves was so severe. Just at the start of this year my TF became a lot lower than usual. I'll see what the consultant says on Tuesday. I'll ask about the anti-body test to see if he thinks it is worthwhile having it done. No harm in asking!

Reply Reply