It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
(female)

Junip1977 HB User
Alcohol -Gluten free?

Hello all,

I have been Gluten free now for 10 weeks. My daughter is gluten intolerant and also has hypothyroidism so we all went gluten free to make it much easier on the family and meal preparation. I have always suspected that I too had a gluten intolerance but I never got tested. It was usually only if I drank beer (one bottle), ate wheat pastas, or anything with alot of wheat, or had too much pizza. Anyways, it has been 10 weeks and the past week I started drinking a diet coke with a little less than a shot of Jim Beam bourbon in it. I am not much of a drinker as I don't really like the taste, but I like this and one in the evenings is so nice. However I have notices I have been sick to my stomach now the day after I have the drink. Does anyone know if Bourbon has gluten in it? I couldn't find much online but I suspect that it is what is causing me the stomach upsets. Also, do you get more sensitive to gluten after being gluten free for a while? Thanks for all the help!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User
Re: Alcohol -Gluten free?

The answers are yes and yes. Most bourbons have wheat or rye, both of which would contain gluten. If you want a shot of something in your coke, I would recommend something not made from grains, like rum or tequila.

In my experience people who are sensitive to wheat, whether or not they have celiac, become more sensitive after refraining. IMO it is probably because the body adjusts to feeling better and being more normal, and complains when that is not the case. It is somewhat like an ex-smoker being more sensitive to smoke after awhile than someone who never smoked (not always true, but often).

M.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Spirits such as whiskey, bourbon, vodka and such are distilled and as such, no longer contain the gluten molecule, unlike beer. Yes they are fermented from gluten containing grains but the distillation process which produce the spirits, (the alcohol part that you drink) leaves the gluten physically separated and out of the alcohol. Beer on the other hand is not a distilled product and so if you wish to have that and remain gluten free, you must purchase gluten free beer such as that based on sorghum and brewed without barley malt. It's actually pretty good.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
(female)

Junip1977 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca689 View Post
Spirits such as whiskey, bourbon, vodka and such are distilled and as such, no longer contain the gluten molecule, unlike beer. Yes they are fermented from gluten containing grains but the distillation process which produce the spirits, (the alcohol part that you drink) leaves the gluten physically separated and out of the alcohol. Beer on the other hand is not a distilled product and so if you wish to have that and remain gluten free, you must purchase gluten free beer such as that based on sorghum and brewed without barley malt. It's actually pretty good.
Hi, forgive me then, I am more confused now. So does the Bourbon have gluten or not? I know for a fact that it bothers me everytime I have even just a little bit. For this reason alone I will stay away from it, but I am still trying to learn as much as possible. You are saying that even though Malt barley is in the ingredients it is safe? Thanks!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Bourbon and other DISTILLED spirits with no added flavorings or colours after distillation = gluten free = ok. It just might be the diet coke or the alcohol itself that is upsetting your stomach. It's the diet coke that gets me every time.
Beer = gluten = bad.
Unless it states that it is gluten free and contains NO barley malt. There is good gluten free beer available, should you want to have some.
And on the subject of malt and beverages:
Malted milk shakes and Ovaltine = gluten = bad.
I had to draw up a chart when I first started of what is and is not safe, lol

Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
(female)

Junip1977 HB User

Well luckily I do not like beer so I don't have to worry about that, of course I have never had gluten free beer so maybe if it didn't bother me like it always did I might like it. LOL Thanks for clarifying. It could be the alcohol like you said or the diet coke. I don't usually drink either so maybe just even a little bit bothers me. Thanks! :-)

Reply Reply