It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
(female)

rosieblue HB User
Gluten Withdrawal Symptoms

Since starting a gluton free diet 2 weeks ago, my symptoms have got a lot worse, i.e. upset stomach, anxiety and depression. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems after going gluton free and how long did they last for?
Thanks.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
(female)

marrie12 HB Usermarrie12 HB User
Re: Gluten Withdrawal Symptoms

Hi, I think it's quite normal to have these symptoms when first going gluten free. I had a similar experience when I first went gluten free almost 2 years ago now. It's difficult to maintain a gluten free diet at first and I think that can cause anxiety, then in turn upset stomach and feelings of depression because of not being able to partake of all things you have been able to have in the past. There are now alot of places that serve gluten free foods but you can never be to sure especially with cross contamination issues and for me that still causes some stress but it gets easier as you go along and you learn to relax a bit more too. And of course there is the trial and error of getting gluten by mistake but it does get easier and you make notes as to what places and products are safe and that way you feel more in control and you will lessen your anxiety. I think I started to relax after about 6 months into it, so just hang in there. Let me know how you are doing and if there's anything else I can help with.
Marrie12

The following user gives a hug of support to marrie12:
rosieblue (07-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
(female)

rosieblue HB User
Thumbs up Re: Gluten Withdrawal Symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrie12 View Post
Hi, I think it's quite normal to have these symptoms when first going gluten free. I had a similar experience when I first went gluten free almost 2 years ago now. It's difficult to maintain a gluten free diet at first and I think that can cause anxiety, then in turn upset stomach and feelings of depression because of not being able to partake of all things you have been able to have in the past. There are now alot of places that serve gluten free foods but you can never be to sure especially with cross contamination issues and for me that still causes some stress but it gets easier as you go along and you learn to relax a bit more too. And of course there is the trial and error of getting gluten by mistake but it does get easier and you make notes as to what places and products are safe and that way you feel more in control and you will lessen your anxiety. I think I started to relax after about 6 months into it, so just hang in there. Let me know how you are doing and if there's anything else I can help with.
Marrie12
Hi Marrie, thanks for your helpful reply. Its reassuring to hear that others have experienced similar problems when going gluton free. I have also just been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and Barretts, so sometimes its difficult to know what is causing the problems. I agree with you about cross contamination and getting gluten by mistake, but I suppose to perfect this it will take time and effort. I believe that you also have to check so many things that you would not think would contain gluton - toothpaste for instance! I have only been gluton free for 2 weeks so I suppose its early days. Thanks again for your help and would appreciate any further tips.
Regards, Rosieblue

Reply Reply