It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
(female)

dogmum HB Userdogmum HB User
Duhring's Disease / Dermatitis Herpetiformis ?

Three and a half months ago I saw a dietitian who prescribed me a very low calorie intensely-gluten based diet. I have never done overly well with gluten, but she insisted so I tried. That same day, as expected, I started vomiting and having diarrhea, shakes, etc and within a day or so developed an intensely itchy rash on my midsection, legs, and butt as well as blisters on my arms and legs down to my knees. I quit the diet within a week. I saw a dermatologist as well as my GP for the rash which they suspected was eczema. They both gave me hydro-cortisone cream which did not help at all (if anything it made it worse).

Now I saw a new dermatologist privately (NHS here) and he actually looked at it and told me in a somewhat baffled way that he thinks it's DH and that I should be tested (again) for celiac disease. It's also responding to anti-bacterial sprays and drugs.

My question is this: I had antibodies present on the celiac blood panel that I already did, but not enough to be positive. Is it possible for the number of ABs to go up and down? Is it possible to have DH, but not celiac? Can a wheat allergy (which I was positive for at level 1) be enough to cause DH?

A little background on me, my neurologists think I have MS. I've had this kind of rash coming and going since my late teens, but never on such a large scale and never lasting more than a few weeks. Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply