It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

ONgirlinAB HB User
Negative celiac screen but low IgA?

I'm so confused. I got some lab results back today and my IgA is 52 but my celiac test was negative. The doctor has referred me to a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy and presumably more blood work because she is not certain that I don't actually have celiac or a gluten sensitivity. I've read that low IgA can skew celiac screening. Has this been anyone else's experience and is it likely that despite the negative result I actually do have celiac or at least gluten sensitivity? I've never felt so terrible in my life. I could sleep all day, and my severe bouts of cramping and urgent diarrhea are making me miserable. I can't leave the house and go anywhere where there's no bathroom.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
(female)

carys2011 HB User
Re: Negative celiac screen but low IgA?

I could have written this post! That is my exact IGA level last year. (I have since hovered between (50-60).

There is a decent chance around 30% I think that you will test false negative for Celiac with an IGA at that level.

However, the main way to dx Celiac is by biospy anyway. The only issue is you will need to ensure a scope for that one. And you will need a skilled GI who takes a lot of samples in the right areas.

Most GIs are rather inept at this according to the many message boards I read about this.

I stopped Gluten and I feel AMAZING. I never got a positive DX of Celiac but literally my life has changed. Constant headaches, neuro problems, numbness, tingling, IBS like issues, insane bloating. Gone, all gone!

Good Luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
(female)

VA_girl HB User

I also had constant stomache problems for years, I was miserable. Tested negative for celiac, then I found a medical lab that will test for gluten sensitivy. Very acurate, non-invasive testing, look them up, you can do the test and be reimbursed by insurance. Came back I was allergic to gluten, went off it right away, have been gluten free three years and never felt so good. I would give something like that a shot before having an unnecesssary invasive procedure if you can help it. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
(female)

carys2011 HB User

VA girl do you need to be actively eating gluten before the sensitivity test? I know before the Endo Biospy you need to be eating a Gluten rich diet for several weeks if not months.

I could not possibly eat gluten again unless it was for a short period like a couple days.

Reply Reply