It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
(female)

meganrenee3 HB User
Unhappy Living with Celiac

Ever since I was 17 I constantly had abdominal pain. I remember once I was going to get my mom and I collapsed in the hall because of how much pain I was in. We went to e.r. and there they diagnosed me with two ulcers. So because of that I knocked out soda and or all carbonated drinks out of my diet so I didn't agitate them. Two years later I go to an upper G.I. doctor because the pain continued. Then I find out that I never had ulcers, I had celiac sprue. So for two years I was allergic to gluten but kept it in my everyday diet because I didn't know any better so now I am freaked out that I've done major damage to the lining of my intestines, and I'm scared. And I lost my health insurance a few days after my endoscopy so I never got the chance to discuss any of this with my doctor. All I know about celiac disease is what I've read off the internet. HELP.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
(female)

need to kn HB User
Wink Re: Living with Celiac

Hi,

My husband was diagnosed with Celiac sprue in 1993 at the age of 43. This is an autoimmune disease caused by the affect of gluten in the small intestines. It is a genetic disorder, which means either your mother or father has passed it on. Now, they may not have full blown celiac, but it is definite that one has the genetic pre-disposure for celiac. It is imperative that you stick to a gluten FREE diet. There is no cure, but the diet will definitely keep you alive. My husband now almost 20 years diagnosed is a calcium deficient celiac patient. You can be either iron or calcium and/or a combination. He has also beeen diagnosed in 1993 with osteo porosis with the skeletal stucture of a 90 year old at the age of 43 due to the lack of calcium. Now, if you fail to adhere to a GLUTEN FREE diet you will cause many medical problems which will develope in the future not to mention possible tumors, both skin and internal, malnutrition since your digestive system does not process nutrients as all foods actually pass on thru. If you have any siblings they too may have celiac disease just not full-blown at this point. There is a blood marker test that can be an indicator, but the endoscopy is the only sure test. Good luck. Remember according to how sensitive your disease will determine whether you just have to be gluten free per the ingredients or you have to be sure the facility is a dedicated gluten free operation. He was told from a dietician from the beginning that he should steer clear of wheat, rye, oaks, millet, buckwheat and any products derived from these grains leaving only Corn and Rice. Well, it has seemed to work, he is thriving, gaining weight and has had only two major set backs in 20 years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
abdominal pain, celiac disease, hurting