It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
(male)

JustBig HB User
Celiac & Titanium Hypersensity?

Whew, this is a huge website with lots of information, but I would like to start here and ask if any of you have seen any medical articles about the correlation of Celiacs and hypersensitivity to any component of a Pacemaker, but mainly Titanium?

It appears that my wife is experiencing Hypersensitivity to her pacemaker, which is rare, but she is also gluten sensitive. I have found information that Celiac sufferers often have hypersensitivity to Nickel, but no such information seems to be available about Titanium. She is not sensitive to Nickel, so if the pacemaker is a Titanium/Nickel alloy, it is not the nickel.

Her Doctors are responding appropriately and have recognized the high probability of Hypersensitivity to "a componet" of the device. But, I would like to know the reason she is reacting to a device that thousands or 10s of thousands of people have no problem having embedded.

My wife has never been officially tested for Celiacs...but she has it and many of the symptons, just too hard headed to accept it. Our oldest Son was diagnosed in 1977 with what was then called Gluteninteropathy, now called Celiacs, and was fine under our supervision living Gluten free. In adulthood, he said he "grew out of it" and started eating gluten and now has diabetes. So, I am pretty dang sure he inherited the genes from my wife.

Have any of you seen any medical opinions that Celiac disease can cause Hypersentivity to Titanium, silicone or polymers used in Pacemakers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply