It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
(female)

Dotts HB User
is celiac diagnosis worth the trouble?

I went gluten free for 3 weeks after symptoms suggesting gluten intolerance. It did me a world of good and I went back on gluten for three weeks to take a blood test for celiac disease which came out negative.

The plan was to be gluten free for four months and then eat gluten for two months and get a biopsy. However...

I have been gluten free for 4 weeks and my life is completely different. I have no stomach or bowel problems, no intense anxiety, I'm not tired all the time, I have energy, motivation, I'm trying new things, I'm just generally a more happy and positive person when I never was before. And even my night blindness got better and I Have a normal menstrual cycle when I never have before.

I'm worried about the intense symptoms and what it puts my body through when I go back eating gluten again for a long period of time. I get severely physically I'll with stomach cramps, diarrhea and severe anxiety and depression with severe anemia and fatigue.

so my question to people with celiac disease is that is a diagnosis result worth the intense return of symptoms?

||||| GLUTEN- FREE |||||

Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
(female)

bigtoeinsandieg HB User
Re: is celiac diagnosis worth the trouble?

Hi: lots of doctors say you must have a biopsy to confirm celiac, but my own doctor disagreed - I did have the blood test before I switched to a gluten free diet (in fact I had it the very day he suspected I might have celiac and had the results within a few days). It showed overwhelming evidence that celiac was present, and his advice was to go onto a gluten free diet right away, as you have done, and if I felt better, then I should stay on it, rather than go back to eating gluten with all the problems that can cause. His view was that it didn't really matter all that much whether I had celiac or severe gluten intolerance/allergy, either way avoidance of gluten was the only 'cure'. That was 12 years ago and I have been gluten free ever since (apart from a few occasions when I was fed gluten by mistake by clueless restaurants) and feel great. Hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to bigtoeinsandieg For This Useful Post:
Cambridge8 (03-19-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
(female)

SoulConfused HB User
Re: is celiac diagnosis worth the trouble?

Oh girl--- sounds like you have every symptom of celiac. Even when everything says it's negative, sometimes the Endoscopy comes back negative too because you may be too young to have all that damage. Most people experience the anxiety, depression, irritability and other mental health stuff before the stomach stuff. The stomach stuff starts, and then it's a good 5 years before people realize "oh, it's something I'm eating".

You know, because your body is telling you, that gluten and you simply cannot mix!

Screw the doctors haha. They cannot do anything for you even if it is positive.
Stay far away from gluten, even shampoos and skin products--- and you will be okay!

Good Luck!!!

Reply Reply