It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User
Possibly gluten intolerant

I've noticed, for a long while now (about 2 years), that whenever I eat things with any real amount of gluten, I feel terrible not long after.

My symptoms include:

- Headache
- Fatigue
- Stomachache/nausea
- Bloating
- Gas/burping

I know that these are typical symptoms of gluten intolerance/celiac, so my question is: Should I go to the doctor, or should I jut try to cut gluten out and see what happens?

A few years ago, I did talk to a doctor about it, and was told to try going GF for a week or two to see if it helped. I only lasted a few days though since I was living at home, and my parents pretty much refused to buy/cook me GF food. Now however, most of the year, I live at school, in an apartment, and I buy and cook my own food, so going GF is a much more viable option.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
(female)

ktnap HB User
Re: Possibly gluten intolerant

You should probably just try it on your own. I know I've mentioned it to doctors and most of them act like it's unhealthy. Except, I KNOW I feel better if I stick to higher protein, less carbs. It's just very difficult to know how to eat healthy. I picked up a WONDERFUL book on slow cooking for the Paleo diet (they call it the caveman diet)...eating things that the cavemen would have eaten. Every recipe in that book I've tried has been good. Plus, it's pretty simple mainly just tossing things in the slow cooker.

Of course, I guess you should also try to bring it up to your doctor, but they're still pushing the wheat. Another good book is Wheat Belly although it seems to be even more restrictive than Paleo. See if your library has these books. Lots of helpful ideas on what to eat...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I think seeing the Dr is a good idea for several reasons. People who have celiac disease are often anemic and have vitamin deficiences from poor absorption of nutrients. So in addition to having antibodies checked for celiac disease, you can get your blood checked for anemia, iron deficiency, and vit D and B deficiencies. Calcium may be low and osteoporosis develops early, so a bone density scan could be checked as a baseline. Of course, some people have gluten intolerance without celiac (small bowel disease). They tend to be a little less sensitive and less sick than celiac sufferers. It is important to continue to eat gluten foods up to the day of testing, so wait until tests are done to try eliminating it from diet. All deficiencies if present, show be supplemented. It can take 1-6 months for diet changes to affect your symptoms and let your bowel heal (if you have celiac disease).

Last edited by ladybud; 02-09-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typos

Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
I think seeing the Dr is a good idea for several reasons. People who have celiac disease are often anemic and have vitamin deficiences from poor absorption of nutrients. So in addition to having antibodies checked for celiac disease, you can get your blood checked for anemia, iron deficiency, and vit D and B deficiencies. Calcium may be low and osteoporosis develops early, so a bone density scan could be checked as a baseline. Of course, some people have gluten intolerance without celiac (small bowel disease). They tend to be a little less sensitive and less sick than celiac sufferers. It is important to continue to eat gluten foods up to the day of testing, so wait until tests are done to try eliminating it from diet. All deficiencies if present, show be supplemented. It can take 1-6 months for diet changes to affect your symptoms and let your bowel heal (if you have celiac disease).
It's interesting you say that because I've been anemic forever (since my early teens, and I'm now 22), and I recently (about 2 months ago) found out that I'm Vit D. deficient.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I emailed my GP and requested an appointment Saturday. Hopefully they can get me in. I can't live like this forever!

Reply Reply