It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

Missy1227 HB User
Non celiac gluten intolerance

I'm new to trying the gluten free diet due to digestive issues that I've have for about 5 years. I tested negative for celiac and had a colonoscopy and endoscopy last year that both came back normal. My current gastroenterologist simply sucks, so I'm taking my health into my own hands and going on a gluten free journey to see if it helps me. I might add that I also have Hashimoto Thyroiditis and have read where a gluten free diet can help that as well so I have two reasons to give it a shot. My question is that since I'm not celiac how closely do I need to follow the diet? Can I order a sandwich at a resteraunt and take the meat off or do I still have to worry about every bit of possible gluten just as a celiac would? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I only started this Monday and to my surprise I'm not finding it all that difficult even though I am a bread and pasta lover!

Last edited by Missy1227; 02-27-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
(female)

SoulConfused HB User
Re: Non celiac gluten intolerance

Hi Missy1227:

So glad to hear that you are taking your health into your own hands! I have celiac and have been gluten free for 2 years. Prior to that I was in kidney failure and I also have IC (Interstitial Cystitis). IC, Celiac and Hoshimoto are all Auto-immune disease-- so it's likely that gluten free diet will help you either way.

Have you ever been tested for a simple wheat allergy? Some people have gluten intolerance and/or Celiac in combination with a Wheat Allergy.

A few things to remember about gluten:
1) The longer its out of your system, the more sensitive you will be
2.) the smallest speck of gluten can cause a reaction--- since you don't have celiac, of course it is not as detrimental to your health, but I bet after a while you will become so sensitive, that anything with gluten/contact with gluten will start to bother you.
3) Symptoms of gluten intolerance/problems tend to first be anxiety, mania, sleeplessness, irritability, mental health issues, fatigue, etc. The stomach stuff comes years and years later for a lot of people. Just because you didn't test positive and your endoscopy came back normal, doesn't exactly mean you don't have Celiac. I would definitely adhere to a more strict gluten free diet, especially given your thyroid condition. If you happen to eat something with gluten, you are the only person to gauge how sensitive or sick you feel.

Does that make sense?

I just posted a crazy-long post about gluten in the (Urinary, Kidney, bladder) Interstitial Cystitis section in a thread called: Elmiron. I have 2 posts that talk about Celiac and autoimmune. It's just my story/ experience, but you may find it helpful!

Good Luck (and remember that with every autoimmune issues, stress is the biggest factor in staying healthy!).

=)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply