It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

CharlieSays HB User
Hypothyroid, Celiac or Endometriosis?

I recently posted on the Thyroid message board about this, but was hoping to get another perspective at the same time. I am due to be tested in a couple of weeks for 'pretty much everything' (in GP's words).

I have had digestive and menstrual symptoms for as long as I can remember (I certainly recall fainting and bleeding a lot in high-school and having gas problems). I was diagnosed with depression at 14 also and have never had high energy (sometimes it's just an effort to talk and I get confused as if my brain is glued up). They were not assumed to be related and I was given various contraceptives/pain killers and anti-depressants/therapy to treat each one (all unsuccessfully) and just told to 'eat healthily'. At 21 I gave up expecting a cure and just figured I had heavy periods and depression and that was that. I stayed away from junk food, alcohol, sugar and have a pretty healthy lifestyle.

As I've gotten older (now in late 20s), the stomach problems have got worse. It isn't any specific food. I can eat just dry toast and still have to stay home due to extreme gas (and by that, I mean no pills like Gas-X, Beano or whatever do anything - it's yuck)! My guts are extremely loud, so you can hear them churning about all day long (I'm used to the noise and just laugh it off, but the gas is a problem). I occasionally get constipation too, but always manage to go once or twice a day (and apologies in advance if this is TMI, but when I do go there is normally this gunky fatty stuff on it). It's just the gas that's an issue. I have no idea what causes it (I avoid things like beans, fizzy drinks, caffeine or anything that people say are bad). The only time I didn't get it at all was after eating several green apples before bed and giving myself an upset stomach. I had every other symptom EXCEPT gas the next morning! Obviously that isn't a good solution though! I very rarely burp (it's all the other end and smells disgusting, which is why I'm researching bacteria or absorption problems).

My periods have also got longer and heavier and I've been told I am very likely anaemic and may have either a thyroid problem or endometriosis (my mother had heavy periods until pregnancy, other women in my family have hormone problems). I am a normal weight though (unlike them), which makes me wonder. They are testing this in a couple of weeks, but the GP said I looked very anaemic (dark rings under eyes, very pale, cold, dry skin, blue lips/nails, etc), and my lack of energy is likely caused by that.

I'm not sure if any of the above is consistent with celiac/gluten problems. Has anyone been diagnosed with both? I do get random pains in my abdomen, plus swelling, and was wondering if any of the above could cause intolerances to all food or damage the intestinal walls/bowel to cause odd reactions (extreme gas)? In the last year I've started to get problems even when I don't eat (i.e. I'll get hunger pains and then the gas appears, even though I haven't eaten anything to react). Can gluten/celiac cause thyroid/anaemia problems or vice versa?

I did take acidophillus pills for 10 days last year, as someone suggested these might help my stomach, but they just made the symptoms worse (plus I got a weird virus/flu thing) and in the end I had to stop so I could go back to work and let my insides calm down a bit. Was not a fun time!

Any ideas? Has anyone experienced this problem in connection with celiac/gluten?

Last edited by CharlieSays; 03-20-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
(female)

Yellow84 HB User
Re: Hypothyroid, Celiac or Endometriosis?

I'm having some of your symptoms as well and have come upon Celiac Disease tonight. I had heard of it before but had not paid much attention to it. Apparently it can mimick lots of other things and cause lots of different symptoms...even pelvic pain! Have you ever had an abdominal ct scan done? Or any other testing? I've been through most tests with nothing abnormal and will soon be going in for a colonoscopy and endoscopy...and I will definetely be asking about Celiac. I'm tempted to try a gluten free diet but its not a good idea before being tested for it since it can obscure the diagnosis.

Reply Reply