It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Celiac Disease Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
(male)

sesameseed HB Usersesameseed HB User
Celiacs and Migraines/Headaches?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, does anyone else get terrible headaches if they ingest gluten? I've been trying to stay gluten free, but a few days ago I made a bad decision and decided to eat some chicken nuggets from macdonalds.. not only that, I also had fries and ontop of that I had sweet and sour chicken a day before that.. which I later found out from the owner that they cover it with batter. Anyhow, now I wake up with this headache that lasts all day. Is this normal for celiacs or is there something else going on here?

Thank you.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

trace90 HB User
Re: Celiacs and Migraines / Headaches?

Reactions to being 'glutened' manifest in different ways for everyone. I have also heard some experience symptoms different from initial symptoms before diagnosis. I personally have not experienced headaches from accidentally eating gluten but it is very possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Celiacs and Migraines / Headaches?

Probably gluten related. All kinds of symptoms can occur from gluten ingestion when you are sensitive to it, including headaches and migraines. I would eat at home with strict adherence to diet and treat the headache, and it should be gone in a couple of days or less. Most of my accidental gluten ingestions are when I eat out. Servers and some chefs don't get it and serve me things all the time that I have to send back, even after I've told them I have gluten allergy.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
(female)

gramma71 HB User
Re: Celiacs and Migraines/Headaches?

I have just started a gluten free diet because a friend thinks that i have celiac disease.. i thought i was doing good but the other day i ate some canned peaches and got a migraine almost right away. i still have a lot to learn so any input would be so much appreciated. so thankful for all of your posts.
gramma71

Old 10-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I'm not sure why canned peaches would cause a migraine, unless there was some additive, such as maltodextrin from wheat, in the syrup to thicken it. I would read labels very carefully, but it may have been unrelated to the peaches. Hope you are feeling better. Glad you are going gluten free! It takes quite awhile to get the hang of the diet so be patient and learn all you can about safe and unsafe ingredients, depending on your sensitivity level.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
(male)

dave.sydney HB User

Hi - yes for me headaches/fuzzy head is one of the major reactions I get if I unknowingly eat gluten. My head totally cleared up when I went GF - but if I make a mistake and digest gluten (I ate a lot of sushi one day) it comes back for a short time.

Reply Reply