It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 09:40 AM   #1

OrbOfConfusion HB User
Question Any potty training advice?

Has anyone here completed potty training for their young one with cp? Cause I need some help. My daughter (2 1/2) has right side hemi cp. Is she too young for potty training considering her disability? Everything I have read on the the subject only applies to AB kids. Info from yall with cp would be great if you can remember from that young age.

Thanks,
Melissa

Old 06-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

Strawberry1 HB User
Re: Any potty training advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbOfConfusion
Has anyone here completed potty training for their young one with cp? Cause I need some help. My daughter (2 1/2) has right side hemi cp. Is she too young for potty training considering her disability? Everything I have read on the the subject only applies to AB kids. Info from yall with cp would be great if you can remember from that young age.

Thanks,
Melissa
I do not know much about small kids or potty training, but my mother once told me that she pottytrained me by using a "signal voice": every time she put me on the potty chair, she said "urr urr", and gradually, every time a felt a need to go the potty chair, I said "urr urr" too
I've understood that this method made my potty training process quicker and easier than usually.

I just found a website about hemiplegic children, which among other things dealth with potty training a child with hemiplegia. There were some advice: the potty chair should be very stable, the toilet paper roll should be placed on the child's non-affected side, the child's pants should be easy to pull down (loose fitting elastic waist pants are said to be the best).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Zagreus HB User

I'm not sure how severely your child is affected. We did fine with our son, but frankly, two is too young. They just don't have the control yet. Three is more like the age -- for any child. At least that's our and most of our friends' experience. Hang in there and be patient. I'd wait a bit yet to start.

Last edited by Zagreus; 06-21-2004 at 12:52 PM.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:12 AM   #4

OrbOfConfusion HB User

Hey yall,

I might have to try that signal voice stuff. I think I tried everything with my son (4) and he still uses it on himself unless you tell him to go to the potty. I've been working with him on p-training since 1 1/2. Hopefully it will be alot easier with my daughter.

I've tried some p-training with her but wasn't sure if I was doing it too soon. She has a mild (sorry musicmaker ) hemiparesis cp, so I first thought she shouldn't have a problem so long as I helped her with her clothing. She can walk. Her talking is limited to a few words (no sentences) but she seems to understand words and instructions very well.

Zagreus, how long did it take your son to get p-trained?

Thanks,
Melissa

Old 06-23-2004, 06:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Zagreus HB User

The basics came pretty quickly, a couple of months, with accidents here and there and some backsliding along the way. But his younger sister came along during potty training -- it was quite a blow! I think that's right. Gosh, it seems like ancient history now!
His sister, however, followed a pretty similar pattern. Maybe this is all genetic?

Old 06-23-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
(male)

mhitch HB User

Melissa,
I have a 5 year old with diplegic cp, and potty training has taken some time. I think the things I learned was to stay calm, and generally follow the rules for AB children. I kept my son in nappies until I felt he understood what was required of him, and then put him in pants, so he knew when he was wet. He has very limited speech, so I taught him (consistently) the makaton sign for "toilet", and made sure I asked him every 1 1/2 hours if he needed the potty. Finally he now is completely dry, except for the occasional accident. Also, I used the potty with high sides from Mothercare for extra support and more leg room.
Helena

Old 06-24-2004, 07:13 PM   #7

OrbOfConfusion HB User

There are so many unique ways to potty train, but I've decided to wait a little longer until she is three or so. I just hope I can find some larger diapers... she's already in the largest size that I can find.

Thanks yall,
Melissa

Old 06-25-2004, 11:10 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Zagreus HB User

Move her into pull-ups? They come in pretty large sizes.

Old 06-26-2004, 06:36 AM   #9

OrbOfConfusion HB User

Yeah, she fits in the largest size I can find of those pull-ups too (5T). She is 2 1/2, 45ish pounds, and very tall for her age. Lol... that's one of the reasons I was going to start potty training... those large sizes are getting expensive and there are fewer in packages than the smaller sizes.

Thanks,
Melissa

Old 06-27-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
(male)

mhitch HB User

Where we live, we are entitled to free nappies or pull ups from the NHS, when the child with a disability is 3 1/2. Very useful! You can find out if your area has that service by talking to your health visitor.

Also! Do you have a special health visitor? Ours is very helpful with advice for special needs - she was able to talk through my worries about potty training. She was helpful for all sorts of things actually. The local health visitor attached to the GP surgery can put you in touch with a special health visitor, or ask at your child's hospital.

Of course I am assuming you are from England - am I right??? If you're not, then I haven't been very helpful, have I?!

Old 06-30-2004, 05:38 AM   #11

OrbOfConfusion HB User

Hey mhitch,

No, not England. I'm in the most humid and hot state in the U.S... Louisiana. But anyway, I appreciate any advice whether useful or not.

I haven't heard anything about any help with purchasing diapers but it's ok. It's not really that big of a problem anyway... I just whine sometimes .

Thanks ,
Melissa

Old 06-30-2004, 10:09 PM   #12
(female)

sassysweetie HB User

Hey Melissa,

I am a 14 y/o right hemi. I remember getting potty trained VERY WELL.

My parents and maternal grandparents, who babysat me, generaly followed the rules for AB children. Learning to go to the bathroom was never the problem. It was pulling the pants up that was the issue! I would suggest elastic waist pants until she learns to button jeans, skirts, etc. It took me until one year ago to be able to button jeans with considerable ease, so don't worry if she doesn't get it right away.

Stay at hand for the first few times to help her. It really helped me. Also, encourage her to use both hands, but not in a pushy or overbearing manner. Assure her that you'll be there if you need her.

More info on dressing and such can also be found at [URL=http://www.chasa.org]http://www.chasa.org[/URL], which is the website of the Children's Hemiplegia and Stroke Association. They HAVE GREAT INFO on dressing and other issues!

If you have any questions, let me know!

Love and good luck,
Rachel

Old 07-01-2004, 08:20 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Zagreus HB User

Good point, Rachel. My son is 10 and we still give him elastic waistbands and avoid fasteners in his trousers. That makes it much more difficult. (It took him a while to get good at wiping, too, by the way.)

Old 07-01-2004, 09:12 AM   #14
(female)

sassysweetie HB User

Zagreus,

I actually did a health project on the challenges of raising/growing up as a disabled child and the many challenges it presents that AB children do not face. Still to this day when it is rainy and sticky here, my right hand does not cooperate and I have to ask others to tie my shoes and such. It sounds so silly to them, but thankfully I have been blessed with a terrific English teacher/friend starting last year, who never minded adapting his plans around my disability. He actually doesn't know that it is a form of CP, because I am forbidden from telling teachers.

The English curriculum here last year actually included a few disability oriented stories, which enabled me to advocate for myself and answer questions among my peers. SO MUCH FUN! I love doing it and would never stop. When I am out of high school (I'm going to be a freshman in the fall), I will come out in the open and refer to it as what it is: CP. Until then, we'll just stick with right sided hemiparesis....no one knows what that is.

Best wishes!

Last edited by sassysweetie; 07-01-2004 at 09:13 AM.

Closed Thread