It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2004, 09:35 PM   #1

nicola19 HB User
CP and Hip problems

Recently My fried who has CP (Spastic Quadriplegia) told my that he has discovered his back pain is due to his hip. He is having surgery on his hip next week.

My question is what is the connection between Cerebral Palsy and bad hips. It seem to be quite a common problem and I'm just curious as to why.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2004, 10:26 PM   #2
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User
Re: CP and Hip problems

Having CP has no real bearing on hip problems any more than Able Bodied people have problems with their hips. I am a person with CP and my hips are fine. My problem areas are my knees and feet...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lastramy HB User

Nicola19,

Hey there! I have spastic hemiplegia (left side) and I have lots of hip problems! My hip pain comes from the fact that my lower leg is so weak that I can't lift my leg properly in my gaiting pattern so I am compensating by "hiking" my bad side, namely the hip, to make up for things. I get a lot of pain all around the hip region. It is also from the fact that the muscles in and around that area are so tight that my range of motion is impaired also.
It is not fun and I can totally sympathize with your friends pain.
Those that don't get hip pain should count themselves as lucky.
I get botox shots in the iliopsoas (hip) area to reduce some of the tightness and threfore also relieving some of the pain.

I hope that helped. Take care!

Lastramy

Old 07-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

I imagine that people with CP who suffer with Spastic Muscles in the affected hemipherical areas of CP, have this common trouble. I too, lift my feet by raising my hips, but I do not suffer at all from hip problems, as I stated earlier. I have spastic CP, but I have no spastisity, just osteo-arthritis in the CP stressed areas on my body, like hands, feet, and back...

Old 07-08-2004, 02:40 AM   #5
(female)

Strawberry1 HB User

I have right-side hemi and my right hip has always felt a bit "loose" and I too have muscle tightness and movement restrictions.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:00 AM   #6

newcastle2 HB User

I have spastic diplegia and I have hip problems. Ten years ago when I was 18 I was diagnosed valgus hip.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:01 AM   #7

newcastle2 HB User

I have spastic diplegia and I have hip problems. When I was 18 I was diagnosed valgus hip.

Last edited by newcastle2; 07-08-2004 at 03:02 AM.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:16 AM   #8

PajamaMomma HB User

My son is also (very) spastic, right side more than left. He has also had alot of hip trouble. He had surgery to re-place the hip back into the socket when he was 5, and continues to have problems (he's now 8). The problems with his hips has caused him much back and leg pain. I know of alot of spastic children who have had this same problem, it does seem quite common in children w/ spastic CP, from what I've seen.

Last edited by PajamaMomma; 07-08-2004 at 07:18 AM.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
(female)

Teryn HB User

Hey, I've been doing some searching on the boards to find out how common it is for people with Cerebral Palsy to have more than one hip surgery. My daughter has spastic quadriplegia and has already had one surgery for hip displaysia at 18months. That lasted all of one year and now her hips are coming out again. She is only 3 and a half and the orthopedic surgeon wants to do surgery again and this time put steel plates in her legs to help the hips stay in socket. Any info or advice would be welcome. Thanks...

Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
(male)

Pedro34 HB User

Lastmy,

How much does the botox help with your hip pain? I have cp and I am having alot of pain in my hip too. Later on this week they are doing a mri to see what is going on with it. I know how you feel. It is not fun. Tom

Closed Thread