It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
(male)

uneekjester HB User
Speech and CP

I have mild spastic CP, a left-hemi. I had speech therapy until 8th grade, I am now a sophomore in college, and people say I talk with an accent. However, this "accent" is not a good accent to have. Some people say I bring my tounge back on my last word. Other people say that i have more of a "ga" sound in the background. It's frustrating because nobody knows how to describe it. I was wondering how much i can attribute this to CP. Also, I was wondering if i can get infomation on speech impediments and CP.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

Strawberry1 HB User
Re: Speech and CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneekjester
I have mild spastic CP, a left-hemi. I had speech therapy until 8th grade, I am now a sophomore in college, and people say I talk with an accent. However, this "accent" is not a good accent to have. Some people say I bring my tounge back on my last word. Other people say that i have more of a "ga" sound in the background. It's frustrating because nobody knows how to describe it. I was wondering how much i can attribute this to CP. Also, I was wondering if i can get infomation on speech impediments and CP.
Hmm. I'm a mild right-side hemi myself. I must say that your symptoms don't ring any bell.

Why did you have speech therapy? Was it because of that "ga" problem or something else? And when your speech therapy ended, did the speech therapist say that your problem was cured, then? (Remember, that problems with pronouncing the R, S etc. correctly are not related to CP.)

Or could that ga thing be just a mannerism, some kind of a bad habit?

The speech problem caused by CP is called dysarthria. I don't know if CP causes other kinds of speech problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
(male)

uneekjester HB User

That's what I dont understand because I don't think i have a problem with speaking but many people do say i sound different. The "ga" sound is just how one person interperted it. Nobody else interpreted it like that. What exactly are the problems associated with speaking and CP.

Last edited by uneekjester; 12-15-2004 at 11:20 AM.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
(female)

Malwm01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneekjester
What exactly are the problems associated with speaking and CP.
The following definitions is from a well known online medical dictionary:

Dysarthria Imperfect articulation of speech due to disturbances of muscular control which result from damage to the central or peripheral nervous system.

and

Dysphasia Inability to speak words which one has in mind or to think of correct words, or inability to understand spoken or written words. Symptom common to tumours of the dominant cerebral hemisphere, particularly the frontal, temporal and parietal lobes.

You're mouth, face and throat are all full of muscles that are used when you talk, CP might effect those muscles and that would effect your abilities to speak clearly and damage to your brain might effect your actual language usage.

I have a bit of a problem with my speech but besides a bit of Dysarthria and a bit of Dysphasia [neither of which are probably as bad as they could be but I have a lot of trouble with speaking the words I'm thinking sometimes (!) and with Dysarthria.]

Last edited by Malwm01; 12-16-2004 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Remembered "Dysphasia"

Old 12-18-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
(female)

sassysweetie HB User

Dysphasia has always been a problem for me. Not a major issue, but enough to completely frustrate me!! For a while, I used to literally break out in tears. I'm an intelligent person, and I think it's because of my dysphasia that I turned to writing instead of speaking my emotions.

ETA: I also tend to find that my dysphasia is not as common when I am comfortable with the person that I am speaking to; there is no pressure to "say the right thing in the right way".

Last edited by sassysweetie; 12-18-2004 at 10:20 AM.

Old 12-18-2004, 07:55 PM   #6
(female)

Malwm01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassysweetie
Dysphasia has always been a problem for me. Not a major issue, but enough to completely frustrate me!! For a while, I used to literally break out in tears. I'm an intelligent person, and I think it's because of my dysphasia that I turned to writing instead of speaking my emotions.
Oh! I know EXACTLY how you feel! I have problems speaking OR writing words but it's 1 MILLION times WORSE speaking then if I'm writing because at least I can sit there for 5 minutes and think of the word I want or I can use another word that comes to mind first. I know that I still get worked up when I can't think of the words I want to express myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassysweetie
ETA: I also tend to find that my dysphasia is not as common when I am comfortable with the person that I am speaking to; there is no pressure to "say the right thing in the right way".
LOL! Not me, man! I doesn't matter if I've known you my entire life or for 5 minutes I'm still going to tell you that the thing you put your clothes in to dry them is called a "dishwasher" and the room that the said apliance is in is the "living room".

The above actually happened to me, I was sitting around (about 2 years ago) with 2 of my closest friends from childhood (who both actually happen to have CP) and one of their mothers and another person and I was just in conversation about doing laundry (yeah, I'm boring!) and I said, "Yeah, I went down to the 'livingroom' and put my clothes in the 'dishwasher'."

I was half right, the room did start with an L but it was 'laundry room' and the apliance started with D but it was 'dryer'.

I will NEVER live that down. Ever. But it's common place with my family, I don't even stop anymore and correct myself or even say "you know what I mean" because I can litterally do it dozens of times per day.

Or, I'm always like, "The thing, you know. Where you go and get money." [Bank] or "The thing with four wheels, windows, wipers... and all that." [Car] because I just can think of whatever the word is. My family are also experts in Charades because I just can't ever think of the words.

Last edited by Malwm01; 12-18-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:58 PM   #7
(female)

sassysweetie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwm01
Or, I'm always like, "The thing, you know. Where you go and get money." [Bank] or "The thing with four wheels, windows, wipers... and all that." [Car] because I just can think of whatever the word is. My family are also experts in Charades because I just can't ever think of the words.
Done that too! "I have to go to the place, you know? Where you learn things?" [School] Or, my personal favorite....I was talking about gift certificates. "My father gave me a birth certificate to the place where you buy things. You know, with all the different stores!" [My father gave me a gift certificate to the mall]. Happens all too often.

My real friends don't need to ask what I mean.

Old 01-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

"My real friends don't need to ask what I mean".

Right sassysweetie AB's do this too, although maybe to a lesser degree. I went to school with 70 other kids with varying disabilities and abilities of course. Many kids with CP could only make sounds and not say words at all. So I can say with certainty, that CP can affect your speech to any degree

Closed Thread