It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
(female)

AubreesMom19 HB User
Question Questions about Ataxic Cerebral Palsy

I have a 17 month old daughter that may be showing signs of Ataxic Cerebral Palsy, but her pediatrician has already said that she ruled it out. My daughter has been developmentally delayed since birth, and now that I have an idea of what might have caused it, I really don't know what to do now. I am scared that she might have it, and she is already going through Physical, Speech, and Occupational therapy for her delays, and nobody seems to know what is causing them. If anyone has any info on Ataxic Cerebral Palsy, please message me back.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User
Re: Questions about Ataxic Cerebral Palsy

Ataxic CP usually involves the whole body, including speech, hands and legs. I have known beautiful, very smart women with this, so don't ever cut your daughter's hopes and dreams short... Love and nurturing are the most important things to any child. Keep her active and interested.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
(female)

Sabrinasmom HB User

undefinedundefinedundefinedHello I have a 2 1/2 year old girl and she was just diagnosed two weeks ago with Ataxic CP Up until this point she was Delayed...........She has been since birth. I have lots of experience with Therapies and development and would love to share all of my knowlege with you I have been looking to talk with a parent of a child Delayed so if you would like you can email me! [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

Stephanie

Last edited by moderator2; 02-08-2005 at 06:31 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 02-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #4
(female)

AubreesMom19 HB User

Thank you for replying to my messege. I just don't know what else to do. Everything has come up a dead end. My daughter is slowly doing things that she is suppose to do, but most things she still can't do. She is walking, and everything, but she still isn't talking. I took her to see an Allergist, and he said that she isn't allergic to anything that he tested her on, but she had to get blood work to find out why she has a low ammune system. I just wish that someone will tell me something soon, before it is too late. If you would like to keep in touch, my email address is [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ] Email me anytime.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-08-2005 at 06:30 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 02-08-2005, 02:02 AM   #5

Newtocp HB User

Your Daughter is 17 months and walking indepently? that's pretty good for ataxic cp. Does she walk like a drunken sailor or is her gait just a little unsteady? Does she have dysmorphic features? An ataxic gait is present in a lot of syndromes but of course completely different than ataxic cp. I have to say no speech at 17 months isn't that alarming to me. My son has ataxic cp and didn't have his first word until 28 months and his speech at 3 is not really understanable except to me and his dad. Best of luck and if it is cp no need to be scared. Imho its a best possible dx in cases where 'something' is going on because it means its non=progressive.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
Inactive

musicmaker650 HB User

That's right Newtocp,
speech will develop a little slower in Ataxic, and special attention might be needed, but speech difficulties DO NOT necessarily mean retardation in any form. I have friends that use a small hand-held computer to talk for them

Closed Thread