It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 01:58 AM   #1
(female)

connersmummy HB User
Question my little boy has mild spastic diplegia

hi
my little boy conner is now 14 months and has just been diagnosed with spastic diplegia.
does any one have any information on the illness and treatments of this.
thanks so much
claire

The Following User Says Thank You to connersmummy For This Useful Post:
cass24 (08-25-2012)
Old 08-09-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
(female)

apddopey HB User
Smile Re: my little boy has mild spastic diplegia

Hi, I have a son named Connor too that has mixed spastic quadraplegia. I had him diagnosed at 6mo of age. At that point we started therapy and havn't stopped since. You can contact the state, they have a program (here it's called Infants and Toddlers) that provides free therapy at the home. I would also get other therapy through your insurance. Connor has ot 2x a week, pt 2x a week, and an education teacher 1x week. Is Conner's severe? Can he eat by mouth? Just curious since they are close in age. My Connor is 19mo, he is a twin and they were born at just 27 weeks. His twin has no issues, other than being a little devil,lol. Good luck to you and it is nice to meet you.

Jennifer

Last edited by apddopey; 08-09-2005 at 06:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 07:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User
Re: my little boy has mild spastic diplegia

This is a pretty good site to understand CP but it has a LOT of info...I'm sure your doctors will answer any questions you have as well, or you could do a search for more websites...there are a lot of them!

http://gait.aidi.udel.edu/res695/homepage/pd_ortho/clinics/c_palsy/cpweb.htm

Old 08-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
(female)

lauriejacknseth HB User

Hi Claire,

Welcome to my club. My son Seth has CP too.. He is about 26 months now and was diagnosed at 18 months. He was not a preemie and was developing normally until he was barely sitting unassited at 9 monhts (has very low tone in trunk) that we started investigating matters.

The good news is that it is not an "illness" Our kids will struggle to overcome (as much as possible) and learn to work with their motor and other issues but the CP will not make them sick or get worse perse. CP is a one time insult/injury to the brain so we are lucky in that respect compared to a more progressive disorder like a dystrophy or a cancer, etc.

I agree with using early intervention right away if you aren't already. Get him assessed and start your therapies. It is the best line of attack. Do you live in the US? If you do, every state should have early intervention (called Babies can't wait in Georgia).

Let me know how Connor is doing. Can he sit up unassisted or walk? How about feeding and cognitioon?

Hope I can be of help, sounds like i am just ahead of you in the journey.
HTH
Laurie

Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

Hi Connersmummy! Glad to have you on board with us

Good news- CP isn't an illness. It's a "non progressive" (which, in my opinion is SO misleading) condition. The brain injury is static, but the secondary effects are not. In my case I've already started the decline we all hear about, and I am 19 years old.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
(female)

goulais HB User

I am new at using the message board, so please be patient. I also have a little boy who has been diagnosed with spastic cerebral palsy. There is really NO support groups where I am from & the name of mothers with similiar children are so busy that they really don't have to time to talk to me on the phone let alone come see them or visit them.

My son was diagnosed when he was 5 months old by a CT Scan that showed he had a spot of calcification which is what a brain bleed looks like after it's been healed (like getting a scab on a cut). Because he was so young they couldn't really tell me anything else, the only response to any questions I had for them was "we can't tell you that, we don't know, it's a wait & see thing". My son is now 16 months old & he had his MRI done at 15 months (when they are to young, under 1 years old, the brain hasn't grown much to really tell them much) & the neurologist said he was spastic hemiplegia. He has been in Physio Therapy since he was 5 months old. I have SO many questions to ask other parents, but like I said they few names I was given, they were so busy themselves they really didn't have much time. I don't know anyone else who has CP or to get really narrowed down, spastic diplegia. I don't really know what you would consider mild spastic diplegia, etc.. Me & my husband have been totally all alone with this for the past say 11 months & it has been SO lonely & no one else really understands what we're going through. I really feel bad for you, it's a pain so undescribable that seems to never go away. If you or anyone else could share your symptoms, I would SO much appreciate it.

Thank You

Old 09-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
(female)

mittens HB User

HI JellyRJFan,
This is my first post on this site. I just found it today. I read your post and am terrified. What do you mean "the decline we all hear about"?????????? I have not heard anything about this! What are you talking about?
My son is almost 5 and he has CP but don't know what version, as I read these posts, I am very confused. He has had botox in each leg once, and has braces on both legs, and walks with a forearm crutch. His CP is from his waist down only. But, what "decline" are you referring to?
thanks in advance for getting back to me!

Last edited by mittens; 09-12-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

Hi Mittens,

CP causes increased wear and tear on muscles, bones, joints, nerves, etc. As a result many of us get stiffer over time. The symptoms of CP can improve or worsen (or stay the same) over time. A lot of it depends on exercise and eating habits, weather and a lot of other outside factors. In my case my CP has been worsening since I was about 16, but it seems to have sped up in the last year and a half or so. Hope that helps!

Old 09-19-2005, 12:15 AM   #9
(male)

cassio HB User

The secondary effects are helped to a point by therapy even if you have a so-called decline and your muscles grow spastic, or you become chaotic in some way. (Cerebral palsy can sometimes cause chaos, which manifests itself as mental illness.)

About Conner:

The therapies most useful to me were and are cranial-sacral work, PT mantainence (ie. where a PT will stretch me out and do miofacial release to help my hip flexors and other muscles) as well as conventional PT. An OT is good for teaching a child how to cut paper or write in cursive or make better print letters or something, but real world solutions might be better. Just my somewhat biased opinion.

--Sam, spastic diplegia (19)

Old 09-19-2005, 06:24 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

Hi Sam
Nice to have you on board!

They can be helped to a point, but we will inevitably feel the affects of strain on our bodies at one point or another. I agree that therapy and exercise are of the utmost importance... keeping fit really does help!

Old 10-26-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
(female)

kalon68 HB User

hey connersmummy just a quick message my son is now 5 and he has mild form to they did serial casting to help with getting him flat and they did two rounds of botox and the second round they did casting with it.....there is a lot of time and pysio trough this but his gate is doing a little better but they now want to do a surgery called selective dorsal rhizotomy to releave some of the spasticity....but he is a very bright outgoing child and my best advice is to not stop him for doing things though because my little one has a lot of determination and will keep trying till he can..he does wear braces on both of his legs to get him flat and they do slow him down but only a little bit.....juat check out your options and go with what you feel is right...good luck...
kalon68

Old 11-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #12
(female)

MKitty HB User

Hi all,

My 4 1/2 year old son was just diagnosed with mild CP Spastic Diplegia. He was a 27 week preemie. His main problem is his gait. He walks on his toes, his left is the worst and points in a little bit. Dispite that he gets around very well. He is very smart but he is delayed in his gross motor skills & speech. He just started doing adaptive therapy & speech therapy at our school. We've now qualified for CCS (our state services) so will be seeking help from them too.

Any advice is welcomed

~Christine

Old 11-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #13
(male)

insomnio HB User

Christine,
Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon about your son walking on his toes? Braces would be a big help. He might also suggest surgery for your son within a year or two.

Old 11-13-2005, 05:36 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

Christine, CCS paid for my PT/OT when I was little. We were very satisfied with their services!

Old 11-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi all -

I also have a son with a diagnosis of mild spastic dyplegia. He was a 26 week preemie and is now 21 years old. He was diagnosed at about 18 months because I was concerned about the increased tone in his trunk - had to push his tummy to get him to bend to sit in the highchair. He's been in PT for most of his life. He, too, walked on his toes and his left leg is more affected than his right leg. He used a Kaye Posture walker with great success as a very small child and had AFO splints. He's always been a delightful and determined boy!

When he was almost 5 years old (1989), Dr. Gregory Nazar at Norton-Kosair Children's hospital in Louisville, KY did the selective dorsal rhizotomy on him, followed by a year of intense PT. 11 months post-op, he walked alone for the first time in his life. Talk about exciting!! This surgery was a huge benefit to Robby. One important note: if you're contemplating this surgery for your child, it's best if the child does not have any orthopedic surgery first. If you're told your child needs orthopedic surgery, see the pediatric neurosurgeon first.

Robby's teachers from preschool until about 4th grade were very creative in enlisting a special helper for Robby each week. The kids really wanted the job. There were cheers in the school gym when 1st grader Robby first walked alone and strangers stopped me in the grocery to tell me their child's excited report about Robby walking. Teachers can really make everything all right in the classrooms for our kids.

At times in elementary school, Robby used a cane. When he was a teen, his growth was such that his muscles couldn't stretch, his gait became crouched, and at age 15 he had a tendon lengthening in both legs. This was followed by 6 weeks in bilateral long-leg casts (bummer!), then knee immobilizers, then PT. Again, Robby got a good result after hard work in PT.

He sees a sports medicine doctor now that he's an adult and has PT once a week. He can do self directed PT at the same location any time he chooses to.

Robby speaks fluent German, is learning Chinese, has built 7 computers (from selecting and ordering parts to installation), and is in college.

At times it was a hassle to get to PT and our other son had times of feeling the burden of a little brother with physical problems, but all has been so worth it! It's okay to wish it would go away. Our older son is now 26 and is a very kind and thoughtful man, perhaps from dealing with his brother.

So there's the long-term picture, at least for 21+ years. Hope it gives you hope and some helpful information.

Cheers - Barbara

Last edited by BarbaraH; 11-14-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Closed Thread