It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User
Knees Hurts When Bent or Walking Down Stairs

Has anyone experienced some pain when bending their knees or walking down the stairs? I think every September or even some cold months of winter, my knees really hurt when I squat, bend them, or even going down the stairs. I think up to age 12 I really fell on them quite often due to balance issues etc. Did I damage my knees? I'm 28 now and I've noticed this problem on/off for about 12 years now. Will it get worse? And what can I do about this? Anyone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
(female)

Alinka HB User
Re: Knees Hurts When Bent or Walking Down Stairs

Hi,

I have the same problem and I am 30 years old and both my legs are affected by CP - however only my left knee really hurts. I am going to see my ortho on Tuesday and I will definitely ask him about it and post the reply here, OK?

Alinka

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka
Hi,

I have the same problem and I am 30 years old and both my legs are affected by CP - however only my left knee really hurts. I am going to see my ortho on Tuesday and I will definitely ask him about it and post the reply here, OK?

Alinka
Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to what you'll hear about this!

Old 09-11-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
(female)

Alinka HB User

Tere is one thing that tends to help with the pain, anyway - I forgot to say it and that is (at least for me) a stacionery bike.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

Quote:
Tere is one thing that tends to help with the pain, anyway - I forgot to say it and that is (at least for me) a stacionery bike.
What is Tere? I don't know. I walk a lot, is that ok for the pain?

Old 09-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
(male)

Freestyles HB User

Hope,

I'd agree with Alinka that a stationary bike is much easier on the knees than walking. I have low arches so walking (especially on a hard surface) can aggravate any knee pain. Walking is important as long as you listen to your body and don't over-do it. I tend to limit my walks on the tredmill to 3 days a week and ride a stationary bike about every other day.

If it becomes bothersome, I'd encourage you to see someone who's qualified in orthopaedic medicine.. It's important to note whether the pain starts out in the knee or does it originate elsewhere (in your shins maybe)? If this is the case than it's almost a sure sign of a common condition called shin splints... Quite common in people with low arches.

Also if you if you have access to a whirlpool or sauna that can work wonders! Problem is I can't really take that kind of heat.

FS

Old 09-12-2005, 01:57 AM   #7
(female)

Alinka HB User

Tere should be spelled there, sorry..... I havenīt noticed this misprint..... :-))))) I really apologise.

Old 09-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

Quote:
Tere should be spelled there, sorry..... I havenīt noticed this misprint..... :-))))) I really apologise.
Oh, ok I get it! Thanks!

Old 09-13-2005, 05:01 AM   #9
(female)

Alinka HB User

Hi, just writing this after a visit to the ortho I mentioned previously. He told me, that the knees hurt, because I place my feet inwards and that puts extra pressure on the knees. Since he is a very cut-away-the-problem person, he suggested the following treatment:

BEWARE! DONīT READ THIS, IF YOU ARE NOT VERY BRAVE

1) femural osteotomy - meaning that they would cut my tibia and place them in a correct position to help with the subluxation of the hips.
I have no idea of how long I would have to stay in casts, he didnīt tell me, mentioned something between 6 and 10 weeks in non-weight bearing cast.

2) repeat the Achilles tendon lengthening on both legs

+ he suggested an extra surgery to help with the pain in my ankles, but that doesnīt concern you,so I will not vent it here.

I think I will keep to the bike

Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

Quote:
Hi, just writing this after a visit to the ortho I mentioned previously. He told me, that the knees hurt, because I place my feet inwards and that puts extra pressure on the knees. Since he is a very cut-away-the-problem person, he suggested the following treatment:

BEWARE! DONīT READ THIS, IF YOU ARE NOT VERY BRAVE

1) femural osteotomy - meaning that they would cut my tibia and place them in a correct position to help with the subluxation of the hips.
I have no idea of how long I would have to stay in casts, he didnīt tell me, mentioned something between 6 and 10 weeks in non-weight bearing cast.

2) repeat the Achilles tendon lengthening on both legs

+ he suggested an extra surgery to help with the pain in my ankles, but that doesnīt concern you,so I will not vent it here.

I think I will keep to the bike
Thanks for the update. You know, I've been told that my tensing up when I walk puts extra pressure on my knees too. I forgot about that....however, I was never told to consider surgery. Come to think of it, I've been wearing heels these past few days and when I get nervous (as I do sometimes when I'm walking with heels), I do put pressure on my knees w/o knowing it.

Did he say anything about stretching? I hate that!! BUt I have to do it. I think I might buy abike too...we are currently working on our house so can't buy it now do to the lack of space. But I guess I might have to consider it. Thank you for helping me out!

Old 09-13-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
(female)

Alinka HB User

No, he didnīt say anything about stretching, but from what he said I would figure out that it is quite important to work on Achillesī tendons and on the mobility of the hips - I īll check with my physiotherapist on Friday, because the surgeries donīt really sound very inviting.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

Quote:
No, he didnīt say anything about stretching, but from what he said I would figure out that it is quite important to work on Achillesī tendons and on the mobility of the hips - I īll check with my physiotherapist on Friday, because the surgeries donīt really sound very inviting.
You never know, they might really help you. I know it sounds scary. However you know your body the best. I'd love to hear what your p/t might know about this.

Closed Thread