It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

mamalovejoy HB User
soiling accidents (warning this post includes poop talk)

Hi All,

My 6 y/o dd has recently begun having soiling accidents as a result of long standing constipation. The constipation resulted in fecal impaction which resulted in a stretched out colon. The stretched out colon resulted in her not being able to sense the need to go or hold it in sufficiently. All of a sudden she started having poop accidents after using the toilet successfully for pooing for about two years.

The doctors have said it could take several months for the bowel to return to it's normal size and regain normal sensation and function. In the meantime we were told to do a colon cleanout regimin via Miralax and Exlax, then to keep her on Miralax so that she is having daily BMs so that her bowel can heal.

She is going now, but no longer recognizes the need to go or tells me beforehand, so she just goes in her pants. Sometimes she doesn't seem to know she's gone; although at other times she will admit she didn't want to stop what she was doing to be changed. As a result I have her in pull-ups so that it is easier for anyone who has to change her. Is that a mistake?
I figure I want to save her the embarrassment when she has an accident
at school, but in the back of my mind I'm afraid she'll just get lazy. In fact she has started peeing in the pull-ups on occassion.

I assume my daughter has low motility in her bowels due to her CP, and although she is active (crawls alot), she is only up and about on a very
limited basis (uses a wheeled stander for about 1.5-2 hrs per day and walks for limited distances, like within the home or classroom). I think her situation is complicated by the fact that she's just one of these kids who's just to busy to pay attention to their bodily cues, would rather keep playing, etc..

I am just freaking out and feel powerless to help her. I have always considered my daughter to be lucky as far as things go. I mean she may not be able to stand or walk independently, but otherwise she is just like any other typical kid. She's extremely intelligent and perceptive, she's social, she is articulate and easily understood, etc.. I'm so afraid this will be something that isolates her if we cannot remedy it quickly (and there are plenty of kids who deal with this condition for years).

Anyway, I figured I'd post about it here because I know there are a lot of adult readers/posters on this board. I'm hoping someone here may have some insight and feel comfortable discussing a very personal subject.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
(female)

Willstrideryder HB User
Re: soiling accidents (warning this post includes poop talk)

Our 6 year-old-boy has had encopresis (soiling) for along time now. Ever since he was potty trained at around 3 1/2 yrs. He doesn't like to take time out to "go" either. Lately, it has become worse and now it is affecting his self-esteem. Last Feb. we had him cleaned out at the hospital because the Miralax wasn't helping. Afterwards, he was perfect for about 6 weeks, then slowly, he started getting constipated and sure enough, the accidents started happening again. He does not have accidents at school, however, which leads me to believe that he can control it somewhat. (sometimes the poop is flat because he "squeezes" so hard to prevent accidents at school). I hope this helps.

Closed Thread