It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
(male)

EseStud HB User
about cerebral palsy

I have heard that most individuals with cerebral palsy don't survive beyond their early 20s, is that true? I knew one kid back in high school who had rather shaky hands when moving or writing and spoke as if he was mildly retarded. I heard from other friends that he had cerebral palsy, but now he is in his mid-20s and still alive. Does it depend on the severity of the case as well, meaning mild cases may survive until their 30s or 40s?

Old 01-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
(female)

skigirl1689 HB User
Re: about cerebral palsy

As far as I know most people with cp have normal life expectences. I've never heard of people with cp dying prematurely because of just having cp, usually there are other causes involved in their death (i.e. cancer, infections, surgery complications, etc.). I think if I have time I will research this more.

Becca

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
(female)

WMCR2001 HB User

My boyfriend is turning 26 in a couple of weeks. He has CP. CP, from what I've learned, does not get worse with age. Sometimes the body ages faster, but the CP itself doesn't cause people to die. There are people on this board much older than my boyfriend and have CP.

Christina

Old 01-19-2006, 02:57 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Zagreus HB User

Are you maybe getting cerebral palsy and cystic fibrosis confused?

Old 01-19-2006, 05:38 AM   #5
(female)

Strawberry1 HB User

I've heard that people with very severe cp tend to die younger than usual, for example because the spasticity of the trunk prevents them from coughing. But people with mild-to-moderate cp have normal life expectancies.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:41 AM   #6
(female)

Strawberry1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagreus
Are you maybe getting cerebral palsy and cystic fibrosis confused?
Or maybe you're thinking of some progressive neurological disease? CP is not progressive.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:43 AM   #7
(female)

Albertarose HB User

Yes, people with cp have a normal life and can live a long and healthy life. I have cp and I am nearing 40 years old with a very active life style. Nothing slows me down!

Old 01-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
(female)

rbenoit HB User

I was talking to a 42 year man with CP and his 60 somthing mother and he was in perfect health and he had a more severe form of spastic CP his mother says there is nothing wrong with him health wise and there really never has been any health issues except for when he was a kid and they were learning what he could and could not eat he had a few asperation pnemonias. For the medical care he would have had as a child that's pretty good medical care now if far greater than it was back then. My son has I would say a moderate CP and I was told he'd live a normal life in terms of length.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #9
(male)

EseStud HB User

I probably got it mixed up with something else. There are numerous diseases with shortened life expectencies, but I think they're mostly aging diseases.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #10

jamesk HB User

I will be 23 in feb. i have mild cp and my right side.. it does not affect me much now other than weak right arm nad a limp. i use to have major back pain/. i had surgery and my right ankel so i could but my foot flat. it could get worse with age. just have to do what you do to mantain what you got use of. but no cp poeple do not die a early death due to there cp . anyone can do anytihng they want to if they really want to

James

Last edited by jamesk; 01-21-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

CPers generally have normal life expectancies, but the whole thing about CP being non progressive is very misleading. The actual brain injury is non progressive, but the secondary effects, such as spasticity can (and most likely will) progress with age.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

lastramy HB User

JellyRJfan,

Hey there! I couldn't agree with you more on the progression of the spasticity and aging! I have only my left side affected, and it is now putting strain on my good right side. I am losing strength there because of all the extra work with my ever increasing weak left side.
Good news though..................I am gaining some strength back, at least in my good side, with the help of a chiropractor. Good stuff there, but unless you have great insurance, is expensive out of pocket.
All mu money seems to go to pain management...........ugh! Check it out if it is something that you might be able to do.
And of course I highly recommend massages to reduce fatigue associated with the spasticity as well.
I would like to see more of this sort of thing covered by health insurance companies as part of a prevention program.

How are you doing????

Lastramy

Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #13
(female)

Strawberry1 HB User

Welcome back, lastramy! I've sometimes thought of you and wondered, how you're doing.

Old 01-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

lastramy HB User

Strawberry1,

No I haven't left the planet. Thank you very much for thinking of me, your words made my day today.

I am doing okay. I have been having more pain lately, and so I have been a little glum, but I have a 3 day weekend coming up here and so I am hoping for some sunshine and some better days.

THanks again for the wonderful reply!

Lastramy

Old 03-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

prisc1125 HB User

Hi
What Strawberry1 says about CP being progressive IS misleading. I am 37 and new to this (considering I got dx'd 6 yrs ago). At the time of the dx, I had major foot surgeries so the recoveries and my body's responses to the CP are rathering confusing. But, I am becoming convinced that CP is progressive in some respects. For example, I never had super tight hamstrings in the way I do now, despite stretching. And I NEVER had back pain...which I learned is typical for my age in general, but the spasticity aggravates it.
I am not liking this getting older thing too well....

cheers
prisc1125

Closed Thread