It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
(female)

Tammymc HB User
18 Month Old Son has mild Hemiplegic CP

My 18 month old has just been diagnosed with mild Hemiplegic CP. I am so lost right now and don't know what to do. He has just recently started pulling himself to a standing position and cruising and doing the army crawl. I am so confused as to what the future holds for him. Will he walk? will he run/ will he learn like the other kids in school. Was anybody out there born with this like my son? How has this affected your life to date? Please help!!!

Old 03-29-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
(female)

Strawberry1 HB User
Re: 18 Month Old Son has mild Hemiplegic CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammymc
My 18 month old has just been diagnosed with mild Hemiplegic CP. I am so lost right now and don't know what to do. He has just recently started pulling himself to a standing position and cruising and doing the army crawl. I am so confused as to what the future holds for him. Will he walk? will he run/ will he learn like the other kids in school. Was anybody out there born with this like my son? How has this affected your life to date? Please help!!!
I was diagnosed with mild hemi when I was 6 months old. I learned to walk unsupported when I was 19 months old. Your child's development seems a bit slower. Has he got any physiotherapy? He should.

I've read that nearly 100% of hemi children learn to walk and run, though most will have a limp. But it's very possible that your child will never learn to skate or ride a bicycle.

Some hemi children have additional disabilities beside the hemiplegia, for example learning difficulties. So it's difficult to say if your child will learn in a normal way. His intelligence and cognitive/perceptual abilities should be tested.

Mild hemiplegia in itself is not such a big deal, it's more just a nuisance. But additional disabilities can cause more trouble. Anyway, it's best to remember the old saying about the glass being half-full vs. half-empty. Concentrate on your son's strengths, don't make him feel pity for himself.

Last edited by Strawberry1; 03-30-2006 at 05:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
(female)

Strawberry1 HB User

One more thing: Children with hemiplegia usually have normal intelligence and can attend mainstream schools, but dyslexia and other learning problems are relatively common.

Most people with congenital hemiplegia will be able to live on their own and earn their own living as adults.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
(female)

Tammymc HB User

Thank yopu so much for your words, we are hoping the best as his doctors say he is doing unbeleiveable with physio. He is on tract with everything except walking. Tonight he went up a whole flight of stairs by himself. He pulls himself to standing on everything and cruises everywhere, so I hope to go he will walk normally and run and ride a bike. I am trying to think positive for that amazing little boy

Old 03-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
(male)

bsjones HB User

Our son just turned three. I bet you will be very pleasantly surprised with your son's progress during the next year or two.

Last edited by bsjones; 03-30-2006 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-31-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
(female)

Tammymc HB User

Does your son have hemiplegic CP? Is he walking/running? How is he. Was he born with CP?

Old 03-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
(male)

bsjones HB User

Our son has spastic diplegia (both legs), plus his trunk is also affected. He wasn't diagnosed until about 15-18 months, and didn't walk independently at all until about 2 1/2 yo. But he has made dramatic progress the past few months. He has gained a lot of confidence, doesn't fall as much and catches himself when he does stumble and fall, and is walking independently more and more all the time. He was born with CP (premature) and is now a little over 3 yo. He has gotten a lot of good PT and my wife massages and stretches him at home, and does some therapy with him also. I bet your son will make great progress the next year or two.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
(female)

Tammymc HB User

Wow that is amazing!!! Congrats. Thank you for the words also, you have made me feel much better.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
(female)

sassysweetie HB User

I'm a 16 year old right hemiplegic.

I can't run fast, climb a junglegym, ride a bike, or skate...but I'm in Honors classes at my high school (fully mainstreamed). I walk independently (though with a limp). I'm more dependent on others than I'd like to be. I can't put my hair into a ponytail...but I can fully wash/dress myself (though this took until I was about 7 - I still do it one-handed), I don't have any learning/mental disabilities, and I love my life.

When your son gets older, "One-Handed in a Two-Handed World" by Tommye K. Mayer is a TERRIFIC resource! I had figured out most of the tricks of living with one hand, but they're all great.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
(female)

kj7397 HB User

Has he started early intervention services? Also, become informed. When DS#1 was born I read up as much as I could. Pick the doctors'/therapists' brain about your son's condition.

Last edited by kj7397; 03-31-2006 at 01:44 PM. Reason: need siggy

Old 04-02-2006, 05:31 PM   #11
(female)

Tammymc HB User

He started Physio 2 months agao, and with daily exercises from me and his father he has made a great deal of pregress. We meet with the therapist on Tuesday and we will tell her he was diagnosed with CP and see if we should also do OT

Closed Thread