It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User
Need To Drive But Need Help With First Step

I have very mild cp, and I have really denied myself the independence of driving. However, I want to put all that behind me and learn.

I live in NJ, could someone tell me how I can go about getting my permit? Do I need to take a "handicap" test for it? The only difficulty I'm thinking I have is that I need to drive with my left foot, and the act of turning the wheel might need some exercise in, as in making right/left turns. I'm thinking this will be a matter of practice.

Also, very slight speech issue, which I think is more psychological as I do get breathy sometimes. I have read that this is more anxiety related though.

Do I need to mention any of this? Also, about private lessons, anyone familiar as to a type of driver's school that would better "cater" to my needs? And I think I might feel more comfortable with a woman driver - can I make this request? Please advise. Thank you

Old 04-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
(male)

miester HB User
Re: Need To Drive But Need Help With First Step

Hope,
I never even told them about my cp, And my cp is like yours. I know they had to notice something was wrong because I can't hide that when I am nervess, but they never said anything. I did pretty well on the test. I live in Maryland and I don't know if your laws in N.J. are any different. I say if you can pass the test it shouldn't matter. I would not say anything to them and see what happens.
I don't know about the driving school, we had drivers ed in high school so they already new about my cp. You can do it and once you do you will wish you would had done it sooner. That will really help with independence which helped me with my self asteem.
Karl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

I got a prescription from my neurologist a while ago for a driving eval...which is where they see if you can drive without hand controls (I don't know where these evaluations are, someone who's gone to one can explain).

But other than that, if you can drive without any equipment, there would be no need to tell anyone about your CP.

Last edited by Steffers2318; 04-04-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
(male)

NJCrip HB User
Cool Re: Need To Drive But Need Help With First Step

Hi Hope,

I live in NJ too. To get a driver's permit, aall you need to do is pass the eye test and the written exam. There is no special "test" for your disability at this point. A permit will allow u to do "behind the wheel" training. This is where it gets a bit complicated. A rehab center usually has a driving clinic that will help u decide what modifications you need to operate a vehicle safely. Tell me what region of the state u live in ans ill give you the contact info.

NJCrip
[email]REMOVED[/email

[email]REMOVED[/email].

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-08-2006 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Please honor your membership agreement. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hope25 HB User

Just curious: are the questions on the test the same as the study questions on the mannual? I think I know the basics, but I'm just getting "subconsciously" nervous about not passing it. Somehow I fear the whole aspect of being a driver, but I certainly don't want to fail the permit test! Any advice on what EXACTLY is on that test? Thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-15-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Yes, the questions on the test are about the infomration in the book, and like the questions in the book, too. The test was pretty easy...I got my permit a few years ago, and am working on driving to get my liscense now. I hope to get it really soon!

Old 05-12-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

Hi,

I was doing a search and found this site

[url]http://www.aded.net/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=112[/url]

that details accommodations that can be made for driving as well as difficulties. If you scroll to the bottom and click on the blue "Member Directory" there is also a feature where you can find places near where you live for a driving evaluation (I found my stuff using "Facility type" and "State" for the fields, although you have to search through all the types of facilities).

Maybe this will help you...they can determine if you need to switch the pedals or if you need a spinner knob. For me, I don't know if I'll be able to drive but at least I can find out with an evaluation!

Closed Thread