It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

basal1999 HB User
best places to live..

looking to relocate in the near future, have a 5yo son
with cp using a walker, i'm in NJ and do not want him
to deal with winter as he gets older.

any suggestions, lists anywhere?

thanks,
kris

Old 07-23-2006, 03:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User
Re: best places to live..

Well, I'm in California and the weather is definitely great here (except it was 114 today!). The only thing is you have to deal with mountainous terrain, but I guess that depends on where you live. I also live in Texas, and, while I love it there, I would not recommend it to someone with CP because the humidity is a killer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

What effects does the humidity have on people with CP? I've never heard that...and would be interested to know. I live in Portland, Oregon...it's a cool town, and medical care would be very close for your son to get to.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
(male)

route66 HB User

I've lived in Albuquerque (hometown), Tulsa (college) and Denver (now). Tulsa is the most humid of the three, and it is just harder to breathe and move around during summer without sweating like crazy (eventually I acclimated). I don't know that humidity is actually bad for persons with CP (nice for skin - no lotion needed). I visited Tampa one Labor Day weekend and was amazed how people could live there because I was sweating fresh out of the shower! Phoenix is very hot, but it is dry, so 110 there is not as bad as 90 in Tampa, in my opinion. My wife and I have toyed with moving to Florida since we have family there and none here, but the summers would just make life miserable. Winter there is fantastic!

~66~

Last edited by route66; 07-24-2006 at 02:20 PM.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

The humidity just makes my spasticity increase, makes me ache more and just generally makes it harder to move. My doc confirmed this is fairly common. and I have a "mild" case of quad CP.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:37 AM   #6
(female)

Malwm01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by basal1999
looking to relocate in the near future, have a 5yo son
with cp using a walker, i'm in NJ and do not want him
to deal with winter as he gets older.

any suggestions, lists anywhere?

thanks,
kris
Hi Kris!

I'm really torn about this whole where to live what's good and bad weather wise.

I have lived all my life in Michigan. It's cold and damp in fall and spring (which is horrible on my spastisicity!) and it snows, and snows during winter. It's also not unheard of to see a freak snow or ice storm in April or even late March. The ice and the cold and damp are not my most favorite things but I deal with it (layers of clothing, blankets, hot tea, hot showers, hot tubs and not a lot of outdoor walking in winter.)

The spasticity, gets the worst around the fall (When the weather changes from hot to cold.) and about the third week of below zero temps in the dead of winter.

I've thought about moving somewhere without the cold and damp (hot humidity doesn't bother my spasticity) but I like having my family around. Do you have family anywhere you might consider living near?

As long as it doesn't have a lot of ice and snow, and a lot of really damp long rains I think anywhere is good!

Quote:
What effects does the humidity have on people with CP? I've never heard that...and would be interested to know. I live in Portland, Oregon.
Hey Midget, what's the weather like in Portland? I have no idea, when I think Portland, Oregon, I think Seattle - and I'm stuck on believing that it's perpetually 50° F and raining in Seattle. LOL

Anyway, it's the cool temp. and the rain that kills me... my whole body just spasms like nuts and and eventually everything will just hurt through and through all the way to the tips of my pinky fingers. Atleast that only happens for a month or two every year!)

Old 07-26-2006, 01:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwm01

Hey Midget, what's the weather like in Portland? I have no idea, when I think Portland, Oregon, I think Seattle - and I'm stuck on believing that it's perpetually 50° F and raining in Seattle. LOL
The weather here is rainy, but I believe we get less rain than Seattle. I'd have to check though. But it's not rainy all the time. The summers are nice. Although, now we are in this heat wave--just like everyone else. But it's suposed to start cooling down, and did so a bit today. We don't get snow/ice, at least not very much. Although the last few winters we've had a lot (a lot for Portland, anyway ). The great thing about Portland is you can drive to the snow, drive to the beach, etc...and have a change of climate and scenery within a short driving distance.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
(female)

eri02 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyRJFan
The humidity just makes my spasticity increase, makes me ache more and just generally makes it harder to move. My doc confirmed this is fairly common. and I have a "mild" case of quad CP.
wow...what different experiences we all have. i've lived most of my life in fl and never had a problem with the humidity(except my asthma). i am thinking of moving to chicago for grad school, but i'm kinda nervous about the winters. i dunno.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
(female)

blackbelt HB User

I like Georgia... we have only had two horrible snow/ice storms since I've lived here for 25 years. The rest of the time it doesn't snow much or at all, which is good because I can only walk on the grass if it's snowy or icy. It doesn't rain too much, but when it does, my right hip throbs from the humidity. It does get hot in the summer, but most subdivisions have swimming pools.
I have been to Michigan once in April for a swim meet. It snowed while we were there. The locals said it was sunny and 70 the week before. I was at another swim meet in South Ga, the power went out because of an ice storm.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #10
(female)

cinderellajer HB User

I moved my daughter from Alb to Phoenix in 93 when she was 12, she has spastic cp, in a walker, is now 25 with her degree from ASU ,she loves it here and with the dry weather and no snow, there isnt a better place.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

I guess a question similar to this would be, are there major cities that have good public transportation systems for someone in a wheelchair? Anyone know about Boston. or San Francisco?

Old 09-04-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
(female)

Malwm01 HB User

I would think SF would be a hard city to live in. Isn't it all those huge hills? Or is that just something the television makes us think?

Old 09-05-2006, 05:42 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

Well, I live in PA so I'm used to hills

I meant in terms of getting rides to places...I know that here, all of the buses have wheelchair lifts, but 80% of the drivers will tell you theirs is broken because it takes time to unload the lift.

Anyone have any details about the BART thing in San Fracisco? What about getting on the Subway in New York in a wheelchair? (eek...lol)

Old 09-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

Hey,

Interestingly, after I posted my question I was doing research for one of my classes. ("Persons with Disabilities"--mostly dealing with Special Education. Last class I wanted to explain that total inclusion/removal from other disabled people isn't a good thing, but I chickened out.) Anyways, I was doing research, and the one book had a list of the "top 10 disability friendly cities." Based on: a lack of physical or architechtural barriers, personal assistance and transportation systems, support and advocacy programs, and recreational/cultural opportunities.

1. Denver, Colorado
2. Berkeley, California
3. Seattle, Washington
4. Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5. Raleigh, North Carolina
6. San Jose, California
7. Salt Lake City, Utah
8. Rochester, Minnesota
9. Madison, Wisconsin
10. Albuquerque, New Mexico

Almost made it-- Topeka, Kansas; Gainsville, Sarasota, and St. Petersburg, Florida; Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota; Ithaca, New York; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Thought it was interesting...anyone live in any of these cities?

Old 09-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #15
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

my sister lives in Madison and I have visited quite a lot

Closed Thread