It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
(male)

joromo703 HB User
Inappropriate Behavior

Our 4 year old son has been having some issues with his behavior lately. I don't know if they are caused by CP, are a separate condition we have to worry about besides CP, are caused by frustration with limitations from CP, or are just normal behavior--some kids are just louder than others.

Just as background,--our son walks without a walker or braces. He has orthotics in his shoes, but that is it. Sometimes when he walks on flat pavement you can't even tell that he has issues. But of course, he does. He can't keep up with other kids, and he can't do stairs. He can't play sports, falls down a lot, doesn't run well, etc...

Anyway, we've noticed lately that he gets increasingly out of control around other kids. Around adults he is great. People are often surprised by his vocabulary and manners. But around kids he just gets out of control. He laughs like a crazy person, he hits other kids (not in a mean way, the hits are soft and he laughs while he does it, but it annoys them) and he yells instead of talking. Today was his first full day of school and the teacher already mentioned it to us.

Has anyone else noticed behavior like this in their children? I tend to think he is just overexcited and may be looking for an outlet for that excitement but he doesn't have the same physical outlet other kids do. But I really don't know.

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User
Re: Inappropriate Behavior

I don't have any experience to help you out, but I think you may be on the right track with the fact that he just needs an outlet and he can't get that physically. Also, I tend to laugh at inappropriate times (especially when I don't know what else to do!) and I know some of my other CP friends do as well. We've discussed whether this could be related to brain injuries, but haven't come up with any concrete answers.

Hopefully some other people will be able to provide more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
(female)

Malwm01 HB User

I'm a 23 year old Auntie and I am in no way an expert, but in my family there are about 15 kids ranging from 18 months to 6 years. And every one of those kids are different. I don't know about your son, but maybe what he's going through is just normal... maybe it's not. Maybe he just needs time or an outlet. I'm sorry that I can't tell you anything more.

However... I have to believe in every fiber of my being that MANY people with CP have laughing issues.

I know in my own personal experience that if I start laughing hard, it is very, very hard to stop. It doesn't even have to be something that's very funny... it can just be a little funny and I'll loose it into hysterics.

I also, can laugh in the same hysterical way for no reason at all. And as Katherine said, I can also laugh when I don't know what else to do.

When I was 11, I got my ears peirced at the mall... the girl did the markings on my ears and when she came at me with the gun I lost in into complete hysterical laughing. I remember scaring the girl, she thought I was crazy. lol I'd pretty much have to say the laughing thing is normal with CP.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
(female)

grfastpitch HB User

i've heard some people with cerebral palsy have adhd which could explain the laughing hitting and yelling rather than talking

Old 09-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
(female)

skigirl1689 HB User

It's true that some people with cp do have adhd but I don't think it would cause laughing and hitting instead of talking. Isn't adhd more of a concentration problem and hyperactivness??? I think it's probably just a stage he's going through.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
(female)

vermontcp HB User

Hello,

I'm no expert, but my guess is that he's just a normal little boy who hasn't quite got it together yet socially. You say he's just starting school, and he's only four. Lots of kids--especially boys--aren't very quick on the uptake socially at that age. Give him time. He sounds like a bright kid. It's a good sign that he gets along well with adults. (That's what he'll be someday, after all!) There is no connection between CP and ADHD. Don't label him. It's most likely that he's just fine.

My son is 14, has CP and walks with crutches. (He had a walker at your son's age). He's a great student, has loads of friends and is doing really well. Our attitude has always been that you should never assume something is caused by CP unless there is some physical proof that it is. Very few behavioral issues are CP related. I've never seen a kid who doesn't laugh until milk comes out of his nose sometimes (!), and that's perfectly normal. I don't think it has anything to do with CP. It happens most often when a kid is wired (like at birthday parties) or kind of nervous. These are universal human experiences.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
(female)

special-son HB User

My son's OT just started Sensory Integration (SI) therapy. The handouts she gave me had examples of behavior that demonstrated Sensory dysfunction (Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)). Your son's behavior sounds similar and could be related to this, or it could just be normal adjustment to new environment. It might be worth asking his OT what he/she thinks about his SI.

There is an excellent book called The Out of Sync child. Also, here is a site that helps parents find therapists [url]http://www.spdnetwork.org/[/url]

Good Luck!

Old 10-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
(female)

grfastpitch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigirl1689
It's true that some people with cp do have adhd but I don't think it would cause laughing and hitting instead of talking. Isn't adhd more of a concentration problem and hyperactivness??? I think it's probably just a stage he's going through.
add/adhd has alot to do with focusing but also behavior problems especially in children i have add and had some of the same problems at his age mainly the yelling and laughing problems but occasionally hitting as you mentioned i never hurt anyone it was just an annoyance

Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
(female)

rhales199 HB User
laughing issues

"However... I have to believe in every fiber of my being that MANY people with CP have laughing issues."

I think I have to agree with this one. if someone cracks a joke, sometimes it will take my hubby 5 minutes to stop laughing, and he gets laughing so hard he can hardly breathe, let alone do anything else. There was one time we had gone to a restraunt with some friends, and they started telling jokes as we were leaving, and my poor hubby took half an hour to get into the van because he was laughing so hard he couldn't even stand up!!
Just had to share!!
Becky

Old 10-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
(male)

joromo703 HB User

Thanks to everyone for all your insight.

We went to the Sensory Processing Disorder website and you are right, Special-son, our son's actions do fit pretty neatly into that diagnosis. Although the condition seems to assume a lack of motor coordination is caused by the condition, it doesn't rule out that the lack of motor coordination could actually be the causative factor. Our son certainly has that.

I printed off the information from the website and my wife took it with her to the OT today. We'll see what she says.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
(female)

nikelboi HB User

[url]http://www.ieed.org/[/url]

This site talksa about having emotions that don't fit the situation, or even how a person feels about a situation, hence the use of the word involuntary. it mentions this is common in people who have neuro issues, perhaps cp should be added to this list?

FYI i also have issues with laughing or even crying when I don't feel either happy or sad. usually it's a response out of my control and kinda embarassing

Closed Thread