It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

leluto HB User
Question Hello, I Have A 6 Year Old Son With Ataxic Cp

Im New To This Even Though My Son Is 6 But Im Really Needing Some Answers Now As My Case With My Hospital Is Getting Me Down, My Son Was Born At 35 Weeks, No Problems Through Pregnancy, Just The Last Hour Of Labour Where Is Heart Rate Went Down Due To Lack Of Oxygen, My Case Is That I Had No One There To See That His Heart Rate Had Gone Down Apart From The Monitor. He Was Born Dead And Resusitated 8 Minutes Later But In Very Poor Condition, He Was Took To Nnu And Had Fits For The Next 5 Days, When We Were Made To Make A Decision Whether To Keep Him Off The Support Machine And See If He Would Live, We Took That Chance , Dont Ask Me Why Because If They Asked Me Now My Answer Would Be Totally Different, He Survived But Not Without Complications He Couldnt Suck Or Swallow And On A Feeding Tube They Said He Had High Muscle Tone(found Out Later He Has Low Muscle Tone) And We Were Told We Will Just Have To See How He Gets On And When He Reaches His Milestones Or If He Even Would. Weve Been Through A Tough Six Years But Very Rewarding And Hes Now At Main Stream School With A Full Time One To One Doing Very Well, But He Has Ataxic Cp With Major Speech Problems And Learning Difficulties, Does Anybody Else Have Learning Difficulties Because I Was Told By A Doctor That You Cant Have It With Cp. I Would Like To Know If Anybody Else Has Had Anything Like My Experience Or Have Ataxic Cp Because We Are Having Problems With His Case At The Moment Because He Shouldnt Have Ataxic Cp Been Born At 35 Weeks ,sorry For Going On Just Had To Get It Off My Chest And It Is Nice To Talk To People Who Understand.

Last edited by leluto; 10-13-2006 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
(female)

rhales199 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Hello, I Have A 6 Year Old Son With Ataxic Cp

I don't know that i can really answer your questions, but I wanted to write and welcome you to the board. I hope you feel free to join us as often
as you can.
I don't really remember what ataxic cp is. I'll have to look it up.
I don't know about people with CP having learning disabilities, I, don't see why that couldn't happen. But I am no expert, either. But, i have known many CPer's who were mentally disabled.
Just a little about us, my husband, ty, is the one who has CP (spastic). While his mom was carrying him, she got sick with neumonia, and he was born a month early.
ALl of us know and understand the challenges you have face and are facing. Please feel free to join us when you can!!
Becky
Have a great day

Old 10-17-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User
Re: Hello, I Have A 6 Year Old Son With Ataxic Cp

You certainly CAN have learning problems with CP, they can be caused by the same incident of brain damage that caused the CP.

And as far as saying he shouldn't have Ataxic CP, what exactly do you mean? It sounds to me like the brain damage was caused by either the oxygen problems during labor, or by being dead for eight minutes, or by the problems afterward. It doesn't always depend on the gestational age.

Closed Thread