It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
(female)

klstoneking HB User
Need some advice

I haven't posted in a while now, about hannah who is almost 2..=0)
We have been seeing many therapist at the UCP here in our town, they gave us a portable E stem machine to use for a while, not they have ordered us our own becaue they need theirs back for other children. Hannah will need this for a long term period they say, its important that we get it. Its crazy because neither one of our two insurances cover it! makes me soooo mad. shes on BCBS and also medicaid through her disability. I need to know if there are assistance programs to help with medical equipments or something, this machine is crazy expensive and we live off one income bc i have to take care of her ofcourse. (until shes older) they say we can rent this for over $100 a month which is throwing $ away b/c its something she will always need to stimulate her muscles so that hopefully she will show some signs of any mobility..... please , any info on services that help fund these things. Im amazed that insurance doesnt cover this bc its a prescription from her doctor, makes no sense. any advice is needed.....

Old 10-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
(male)

joromo703 HB User
Re: Need some advice

How much does it cost?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
(female)

klstoneking HB User

i know the people at the UCP said its around$2000.00 for a single unit.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

what exactly are you talking about? because, we have this thing i used to use (I called it the "tickle machine" ... I HATED it, lol)...you attach electrodes to it and basically it shocks you. Is that what you're referring to?

(do not offer off board contact.)

Last edited by Administrator; 10-18-2006 at 10:50 AM.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
(female)

klstoneking HB User

SURE is....for hannah theres like a small little box thing, and two cords that each one hook to the sticky bandaid like thing, they stick on her arm, you can raise the amount of "stimulation" or "shock" depending on whats needed. its very easy to operate. i would love to get one at a less price, its crazy the price of this thing and about the whole insurance, maybe i need a new insurance company..lol

Old 10-18-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

well my mom said our insurance paid for it...maybe if you wrote a letter to the company (the manufacturer) explaining your need they might give you one?

Last edited by Steffers2318; 10-18-2006 at 02:36 PM.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
(female)

rhales199 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Need some advice

I am sorry it took me so long to respond, but I had to get my info straight first.
one place i would suggest calling would be Washington group international. From what i understand they have a location in birmingham. They have a Foundation (called the Washington Group Foundation), that they use to help disabled/ disadvantaged people in communities where they are located. They were a great help to my husband and I about 6 months ago because we had a 1,000 dollar repair bill for the lift on our van, and couldn't pay it at all. They paid the whole thing!
Another idea might be to try your local center for independant living (CIL, or sometimes ILC). They could at least tell you someone who could help you. Actually, it was through our local CIL here in Idaho that we found out about Washington group.
I was able to look up information on both of these groups online, so thier contact info should be online if you need it.
Hope this helps!
Becky

Old 10-18-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
(female)

klstoneking HB User

OH MY GOODNEES! there are still great people in this world! i couldnt even process it, I called the medical company that im getting the machine from today to see if i could like finance the thing.....and i thought i would cry, actually i did when i hung up! the owner got on the phone with me personally,and told me I could HAVE one and all teh supplis that I would need bc he thought it was crap that insurance dont cover these anymore, they stopped covering 6months ago he said. This man has made my yr, i swear id kiss his feet right now! that was such a wonderful thing to do for me and my baby, i can never say thanks enough, he'll be getting a xmas basket for sure..lol. what a huge burden off my chest =)))))))))

Old 10-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
(female)

rhales199 HB User

THAT'S WAY WAY WAY WAY TOTALLY AWESOME!!!
I ALWAYS LOVE TO HEAR THINGS LIKE THAT!!
COOL COOL COOL!!!!!!
THANKS FOR SHARING!!!!!!!
becky

Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

that's great!

Closed Thread