It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

jamncracker HB User
female health issue

Hi,

I have never posted here before. I am a 26 yr old female and I have cerebral palsy (diplegia). I am able to walk independently but with some diffciulty.

I was wondering about other female's experiences with pelvic exams. I have never had this type of exam, but am aware that it is commonplace for females my age. All of my non-CP friends have had these exams. I wonder if nobody has ever discussed this with me because of my disability. Is that possible? Also, because I have a fair amount of spasticity in my legs I am not sure how I would actually be able to accomplish having one of these exams. Does anyone have any ideas?
I hope this doesn't seem to personal. It's just that, as I get older I am starting to think having a pelvic exam is an important part of making sure that I am in good health.

Any info would be great.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
(female)

crookie's_mom HB User
Re: female health issue

Hi,that is a very good question. I have been having them done for 11 yrs now.

Quote:
I wonder if nobody has ever discussed this with me because of my disability.
It is possible, but I have found that many women just don't like to discuss things like that.

Quote:
Also, because I have a fair amount of spasticity in my legs I am not sure how I would actually be able to accomplish having one of these exams.
I am the same way. My doctor useually has a nurse gently help hold my legs where they need to be so that she can preform the exam. I would also suggest haveing a female preform the exam it may help you relax some. I know it did me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User
Re: female health issue

I've had them, it's definately doable. Just inform them that it's hard for you to relax your legs and like was mentioned maybe they will hold them. I don't have them hold mine, though...I like rto concentrate on keeping my legs to the sides instead of the exam .

Closed Thread