It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
(female)

Robin4007 HB User
Frustration with my evening and weekend aide!!

I'm new to indepndent living, I got my very first apartment back in the middle of September and this is a whole new expirience for me. Before when something went wrong like this I could just go to thier employer and they would handle it for me (I lived in a long term nursing facility for 25 yrs). OK, this person started with me I say a little over 2 weeks ago. We just don't click, I think at first everything was fine but she is increasingly getting sloppy and just doesn't care about stuff. I've talked with her numerous of times about different issues but nothing sinks in to her head and I'm not happy!! And then today I noticed outside she's putting her cigirettes out on the outside wall of my apartment and leaving ugly ash marks. She works 7 days a week for me, 2 hours Monday-Friday and 8 hours Satrday and Sunday, just a little much for me!!! So Monday, my case worker from Community Services is coming to talk to me and I'm going to ask her advice. I'm not happy at all and I think its just not working out!!! A friend told me tonight I shouldn't be uncomfortable in my own home!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

Robin

Make the best out of life, it's the only one you have!

Old 12-01-2007, 03:19 AM   #2
(female)

KarimsMUM HB User
Re: Frustration with my evening and weekend aide!!

For what it's worth, I think your friend is right...it is your home and you have the right to expect it to be maintained the way you would have it if you were able to do it yourself. Also remember, inviting someone into your home, whether it's a salesman or a friend or whatever, it's a personal place for you not just a work space. If you feel uncomfortable then it is time to make changes. Hope all goes well with you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

KellyCz HB User

Hi Robin,
I would go with your gut, similar to what your friend said. If the aide is making you feel uncomfortable, that's not good. Especially in your own home. I agree with your friend whole-heartidly. Home is supposed to be a safe, comfortable place, afterall. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kelly

Old 12-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
(female)

Robin4007 HB User

Well, last Monday night I let the girl go. My Aunt came over to witness the firing, I didn't want to be alone with her when I did it. Earlier that day my case worker came and she told me to just keep it short and to the point so that she couldn't keep going on and on about it. I told her that her services were no longer needed and that she didn't need to come back. She got upset and started to cry and kept asking why and I just repeated myself and asked her to please leave. I feel as though a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and that I once again have control in my own home. I found someone I know and trust to replace her. I will never have someone who someone recomends who I don't know that well like in this case. Someone recomended her who I only met once or twice, so I really didn't know that person either. Anyway, I Pray the next person works out well!!

Old 12-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
(female)

Marie5656 HB User

Hello. I work as a personal assistant with a lady with CP. I go to work with her, drive her, help her with office work and with her personal care needs. From the perspective of a staff person, I think you did the right thing. Kim and I knew each other for several years before she hired me as her assistant. She was though having problems with aides for home. Never quite meeting her expectations.
It was hard for her to fire the people who "did not fit", but she has someone now who has been with her a few months and seems to be working well. In fact, this lady will be working with her during the day for a few weeks as I am taking off soon to have surgery.
Keep trying, and I am sure you will find a good match. If there are problems, just keep a record though, to back yourself up.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
(female)

Robin4007 HB User

Thanks Marie, It's good to hear the prospective from another aide's point of view. I have a lady starting after the first of the year, I know her she's the daughter of a neighbor of mine. Good luck with your surgery and Happy New Year!

Old 12-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
(female)

Marie5656 HB User

Good luck with your new aide, Robin. Best thing to do, also, is to make your expectations known up front..do up a job description, or a list of duties you will be asking her to do, if you have not already.
I am not sure how much help you need, but be sure to let her know how YOU are comfortable having things done. I am sure things will work out OK for you.

Closed Thread