It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User
New here and a question about speech/voice issue

Only for one year when I was 13...all we were doing is repeating words and vocalizing them...for instance, the word animal...she would tell me to say
"AN-IM-AL" then the whole word, "animal." So, do I just read outloud?

Last edited by ChrissyCP; 01-19-2008 at 09:48 AM.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
(female)

open_the_door HB User
Re: New here and a question about speech/voice issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyCP View Post
Hi!

I have a couple questions and really hope you could help me out....

I have a very, very minor case of CP. I wasn't born with it but suffered loss of oxygen a day after i was born...long story short, my right side has been affected, and I have a slight speech issue.

The problem itself is really not visible, only is when I open my mouth to speak or try to pick a cup with my right hand! I can't carry a tray - though I can without liquids or cups, only because I believe i get nervous as a result and tense my body.

But I would like to know about the following: I like to improve my speech. Here are my issues:

I sound audible, people understand me no problem. It's just I sound (to best describe it), somewhat slow and off pitched. I have been told I'm a shallow breather and I do not breathe from my abdomen. Don't ask my how I learned that but, that's how I learned.

Next, I have slight difficulty projecting my voice. for instance, say I want to speak lound or argue my point, I tend to get very high-pitched, and sound out of breath. I also feel out of breath after climbing stairs...we have two flights of stairs (13 steps) in our home, and upon reaching the top, I just can't start a conversation or even say a sentice without sounding breathy or out of breath! I really dont know how much of a physical issue it might be, but I am quite healthy and I do exercise. I do not smoke either.

I've been to a speech therapist, who pointed out a couple things to me:
1. I never learned to breathe correctly
2. The back of my tongue is elevated and as a result, it effects my speech, somewhat

Also, I do have slight increased movement of my lower lip when I spoke. I noticed that the majority of people do not have their lower lip wrinkle or move around when they pronounce words...whereas mine does.

I'd like to know if any of you have any advice as to how to deal with this. i'm 31 years old and I am starting to slack off on the exercising part.
Any advice on how to keep myself on a program to help myself? How much time do I devote a day, what is the main exercises to do and how often.

My speech therapist became somewhat unhelpful...I went to her from June - Sept of last year, she really didn't point out much.

But I'd appreciate some advice...do I just read outloud from a magazine? I tend to feel very tired and somewhat out of breath in ten minutes...should I just continue that as an exercise? Thank you for any advice.

Did you have speech therapy as a child?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Hi!

I have a couple questions and really hope you could help me out....

I have a very, very minor case of CP. I wasn't born with it but suffered loss of oxygen a day after i was born...long story short, my right side has been affected, and I have a slight speech issue.

The problem itself is really not visible, only is when I open my mouth to speak or try to pick a cup with my right hand! I can't carry a tray - though I can without liquids or cups, only because I believe i get nervous as a result and tense my body.

But I would like to know about the following: I like to improve my speech. Here are my issues:

I sound audible, people understand me no problem. It's just I sound (to best describe it), somewhat slow and off pitched. I have been told I'm a shallow breather and I do not breathe from my abdomen. Don't ask my how I learned that but, that's how I learned.

Next, I have slight difficulty projecting my voice. for instance, say I want to speak lound or argue my point, I tend to get very high-pitched, and sound out of breath. I also feel out of breath after climbing stairs...we have two flights of stairs (13 steps) in our home, and upon reaching the top, I just can't start a conversation or even say a sentice without sounding breathy or out of breath! I really dont know how much of a physical issue it might be, but I am quite healthy and I do exercise. I do not smoke either.

I've been to a speech therapist, who pointed out a couple things to me:
1. I never learned to breathe correctly
2. The back of my tongue is elevated and as a result, it effects my speech, somewhat

Also, I do have slight increased movement of my lower lip when I spoke. I noticed that the majority of people do not have their lower lip wrinkle or move around when they pronounce words...whereas mine does.

I'd like to know if any of you have any advice as to how to deal with this. i'm 31 years old and I am starting to slack off on the exercising part.
Any advice on how to keep myself on a program to help myself? How much time do I devote a day, what is the main exercises to do and how often.

My speech therapist became somewhat unhelpful...I went to her from June - Sept of last year, she really didn't point out much.

But I'd appreciate some advice...do I just read outloud from a magazine? I tend to feel very tired and somewhat out of breath in ten minutes...should I just continue that as an exercise? Thank you for any advice.

Last edited by ChrissyCP; 01-19-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
(female)

Deborah7 HB User

Hello Chrissy, Welcome aboard. Hope you find what you are looking for.

God bless you always,
Deborah

Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

Weeell, to answer your question about the breathing, the "right" way to breathe is from the lower abdomen/diaphragm. Lots of people, not just those with CP, do it incorrectly--expanding your chest to inhale, etc.--although having weaker muscles with CP probably doesn't help things. To do it the right way, people are taught to put one hand against their stomach and one hand against their chest and inhale...focusing on using the stomach muscles. When you do this you should feel your stomach go out while the chest stays relatively stationary. It takes a lot of practice and concentration during actual speech before it becomes a habit, but doing it that way gives you a lot more power/breath for speech. That's probaby the issue when you try to yell as well--you can't get the loudness from your stomach so you try to get it from your throat, but all that does is make your vocal folds tighter and gives higher pitch (like a gum band--when it's tighter and longer, the pitch is higher).

As far as your tongue, it could be that the muscles are tight and that's why it's higher... did your speech therapist ever tell you to do tongue exercises (like sticking it out, moving side to side, and moving towards your nose)?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffers2318 View Post
Weeell, to answer your question about the breathing, the "right" way to breathe is from the lower abdomen/diaphragm. Lots of people, not just those with CP, do it incorrectly--expanding your chest to inhale, etc.--although having weaker muscles with CP probably doesn't help things. To do it the right way, people are taught to put one hand against their stomach and one hand against their chest and inhale...focusing on using the stomach muscles. When you do this you should feel your stomach go out while the chest stays relatively stationary. It takes a lot of practice and concentration during actual speech before it becomes a habit, but doing it that way gives you a lot more power/breath for speech. That's probaby the issue when you try to yell as well--you can't get the loudness from your stomach so you try to get it from your throat, but all that does is make your vocal folds tighter and gives higher pitch (like a gum band--when it's tighter and longer, the pitch is higher).

As far as your tongue, it could be that the muscles are tight and that's why it's higher... did your speech therapist ever tell you to do tongue exercises (like sticking it out, moving side to side, and moving towards your nose)?
Hi, thanks for responding. Actually that is all she told me, move the tongue left/right, stick it out...I actually stopped going to her b/c when she photocopied the exercises, I noticed the book title; went and bought it, and I'm basically going by what the book says

However, it's still boggles my mind on how the back of the tongue is elevated like that!! I guess just concentrate on sticking to those exercises then...maybe I'll correct it somehow...

Old 01-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

Well the tongue is a muscle, so it can get tight like any other muscle often does with CP...and I suppose we don't use the back part as much so that's affected more

Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Quote:
Well the tongue is a muscle, so it can get tight like any other muscle often does with CP...and I suppose we don't use the back part as much so that's affected more
Hi,
Do you have this problem too, or was it ever brought to your attention? What exactly do you mean by not using that part of the tongue - id this very common for people with cp? Can it be treated or somehow, normal ever?

Old 01-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

Eh, I don't have that problem (yet, or that I know of ), but I know some people on here have complained of swallowing problems and one person said she was told that her tongue muscles were tight.

About the tongue, I just meant that we use the tip/middle more, if you think about it--licking your lips, moving it back and forth, stuff like that. I don't know if it can be "cured"; I'll ask an SLP for ya

Last edited by Steffers2318; 01-27-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Quote:
Eh, I don't have that problem (yet, or that I know of ), but I know some people on here have complained of swallowing problems and one person said she was told that her tongue muscles were tight.

About the tongue, I just meant that we use the tip/middle more, if you think about it--licking your lips, moving it back and forth, stuff like that. I don't know if it can be "cured"; I'll ask an SLP for ya
If you remember to ask, sure I'd appreciate a second opinion
I was watching dick clark's new year's rocking eve, and that was the first time I heard him speak after his stroke...if you heard him speak, woulld you characterize that as someone with an elavated back tongue? He was audible, but if he were to speak faster I think someone would not be able to understand him. I know people who suffer strokes have swallowing problems -but curious as to whether it goes back to normal. I'm not saying I sound like him, but I guess I have heard peoplle with CP talk, and some tend to slur speech, or talk very slow. I'm not like that but what I do have difficulty is with projection and breathing, which is wierd confused:

Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

Well, people who have strokes get dysarthria, and some people with CP too, which is generalized muscle weakness and causes the slurring. It can get better with treatment, but will probably never really go away.

Closed Thread