It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User
what kind of job can you hold?

Hi -

I'm the mom of a 24 y/o man with spastic diplegia. He's always been smart, funny, and a great student, but due to physical problems hasn't been able to get past 2nd semester freshman year of college and does not yet drive. In recent months, this has caused him much frustration and now he's convinced he'll never be able to hold a job since he has frequent painful muscle spasms, still has a strong startle reflex, and might miss work too often to be a good employee.

How did you get thru college and what job do you hold successfully? I need ideas!

Thanks for your help. Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

CortneyMarie HB User
Re: what kind of job can you hold?

I think the key is finding out what things he is interested in and then find ways he might be able to do that. Also, I dont know where you are from, but most states have BVR that will help with these things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
(female)

Christine23 HB User

I made it through college by taking 2 or 3 classes at a time. It took longer, but at least I got done. I work in software development. Most of my job involves sitting so it's generally not physically strenuous. Sometimes it is mentally strenuous, but if it wasn't I assume would get boring.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi!

Thanks to both of you for replying! May I ask what BVR is? I'm guess something to do with vocational rehab, but am lost about the B.

Our son has built several computers and is interested in all manner of things, ideas, justice and Constitutional issues, to name a few. Not that I'm biased, but he's brilliant! He also has a wicked sense of humor and speaks German fairly well.

When in college, how did you each manage the attendance requirement some classes have? That has been a huge problem.

Thanks again! Barbara

Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
(female)

rhales199 HB User

Your son does sound like a brilliant guy!!!

Since he speak fluent geramn, he might be able to be an interpreter, at least on the side.

I have a friend who is from African who is legally blind who is an interpreter. I might be wrong here, but if I remeber right, the company she works for sometimes calls her whenever they need her to interpret over the phone, and if she can't help, they call someone else. She also interprets for meetings and what not.

There might also be interpreter opportunities availablbe online or something like that.

As far as classes, do you mean that he misses class a lot?

Not sure I can answer for that one, but things my husband did were: getting assitance from the disability center each college has, continually being in contact with the teachers, and getting a tutor/ studay partner to help keep up with his studies.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
(female)

Christine23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraH View Post
Hi!

When in college, how did you each manage the attendance requirement some classes have? That has been a huge problem.
None of my classes had required attendance, but they were all difficult so if you didn't show up you would very likely be behind.

Also, when you are in the working world they don't look kindly on people calling in sick all of the time so it is best if you get used to going even if something hurts.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Just wondering if any of you with jobs, do you drive yourselves? How is it driving a car - is it difficult? Do you have special cars?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
(female)

rhales199 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyCP View Post
Just wondering if any of you with jobs, do you drive yourselves? How is it driving a car - is it difficult? Do you have special cars?
When my husband has a job, either I drive him or he rides either the paratransit or regular bus.
Not only does his spasms make it so he can't drive, but, and, well, this is actuallythe main reason, he is legally blind. the nice thing for him, since he is blind, is that when he is working, SSI 'reimburses' him for what he spends on bus passes/ gas to get to work. I think that is only a blindness related thing though, not impairment related, but, personally I think, ANYONE who can't drive due to ANY impairment should be able to do that... but eh, there's a huge difference between my own opinions and what the gov;t actually does

Old 03-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
(female)

Terra835 HB User

I have C.P even though it isnt as bad as some people but I work at Cici's Pizza but I dont drive, I also take the bus

Old 03-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
(female)

rhales199 HB User

that's cool... what do you do there????

Last edited by Administrator; 05-29-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
(female)

Terra835 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhales199 View Post
that's cool... what do you do there????

I bus tables, Go around and clear off the dishes from the tables and then I clean the tables. I do that from 11 am to 2 pm Fri and Sat.

Last edited by Terra835; 03-22-2008 at 06:42 PM.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
(female)

rhales199 HB User

those are the busiest days, right?

that is sooo cool!!

Closed Thread