It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User
Anyone Drive? If so, How?

I'm looking to take my permit this week, and I guess you schedule a date to take a road test thereafter.

I have mild CP, with full function of everything. I guess the only REAL problem is that I need my left foot to drive. I don't know if it is due to my inexperience that I might have a delayed reaction to sudden stops, or if it will be because of my problem. I've been told that for me its simply a matter of practice.

Are there special driving schools for CP? Do I automatically request special treatment? How should I approach this?

It seems this board isn't too active, but I'd appreciate any help!! I just don't know how to approach this - finding the right instructor, that is. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User
Re: Anyone Drive? If so, How?

I'm not exactly sure I understand the situation, but I have had my license for 6.5 years now. I cannot dorsiflex my right ankle, but I haven't ever had any trouble driving or learning to drive. I've never gotten a ticket or had an accident. I found that I did not need any special treatment or instruction getting my license, even though my right foot doesn't move and I normally only steer with my left hand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Did they automatically assume you needed a special car, or did they tell you to drive a special car? Thank you for sharing

oh, did the require an evaluation from a neurologist prior to taking the test?

Last edited by ChrissyCP; 02-28-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

I don't have a special car. When I started driving I drove a regular Mercedes 190E and now I drive a regular Toyota Carolla.

Also I've never been evaluated by a neurologist. The only time I've had to do anything with doctors and the DMV was when I was getting my handicap placard this last January.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Thanks for letting me know.
I passed the permit yesterday. I have to admit it was obvious that I was a bit nervous. No one said anything to me, like can you use both hands etc, or bring attention to anything. However, I understand that it is not their place to ask such things.

I'm comforted by the fact that my permit is valid for two years. And I see that it is a whole sheet of paper I have to carry around - i thought it would be a card of some sort.

Anyway, next is findind a driving school. I tried contacting two by email since weds, but received no responses thus far. I will go there personally and explain myslef to them.

You know, I got up at 4 am today and couldn't sleep for 2 hours! I was thinking how will I drive!! Like making left turns on busy roads, road rage, impatient drivers, merging etc...I was so worried.

I'm hoping I could drive successfully with my left leg. But I'm also nervous about turning the wheel...as in turning quickly into my drivway, lets say, b/c a car is coming quickly...etc...I wil;l have sleepless nights for sure...i hope it wont turn into anxiety...

Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyRJFan View Post
I don't have a special car. When I started driving I drove a regular Mercedes 190E and now I drive a regular Toyota Carolla.

Also I've never been evaluated by a neurologist. The only time I've had to do anything with doctors and the DMV was when I was getting my handicap placard this last January.
Hi,

Can I also ask, how are your startle reflexes? I mean, say you want to stop suddenly, or someone cuts you off - are you quick to hit the brakes? Is this learned through practice?

Old 03-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

I have a startle reflex but have never had any problems pressing the breaks. I gather from your posts that you're a hemi... I think there are other hemis on this board who have driven successfully.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Quote:
I have a startle reflex but have never had any problems pressing the breaks. I gather from your posts that you're a hemi... I think there are other hemis on this board who have driven successfully.
Actually, you're right, it's my right side. I will try to practice at a mall parking lot tommorrow. I also want to see, that being I will attempt to drive with my left, if it would be more convenient for me to bring the driver's seat closer to the petals, and maybe elavate the seat a bit as well. I'm assuming this might help my foot go closer to the petal...and ease upp on my tensing as well.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

I came back from my practice in an empty parking lot, and I think I did pretty well.
I drove with the left foot without any difficulty.

The only difficulty I noticed was actually rotating the wheel. I found that turning, just the act of having to turn with one hand, then the next, and again and again, and sometimes fast...I found that I could not grasp the wheel quickly with the right hand...which has me thinking, is there a knob of some sort that I could screw on to the wheel, so the only thing I need to do is grab the knob to turn? It will relieve my right had of any strain, and it will enable my left to turn quickly and efficiently. Anyone know?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

yes there is. That is how people who use hand controls usually start out.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Quote:
yes there is. That is how people who use hand controls usually start out.
Jelly,

I am about to contact a school today - however, could you plese tell me what to tell them? I know they'll be able to tell from my voice that I might have a problem, but could you please tell me how I could express myself? I think I just mind need help steering the wheel on turns (grabbing it with the right then left etc.) I think driving lefty seems okay - I tried again yesterday & sudden stops weren't difficult. Please let me know!! Thanks!!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

JellyRJFan HB User

I think just what you said is fine! I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I have no experience with adaptive driving

Old 03-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
(female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Well, I contacted a school...I did a bit of research and actually contacted a high school in my area, and they referred this rehabilitation center. I ended up emailing first and I received a response this morning. I email abrief description of my issuse, explained myself as I did on this board, and the response today said that I would, indeed, need a referral from a neurologist, as in a give-ahead or clear, that I can drive, then I would set up an appointment with the for an eval, and then they would let me know on their programs.

Then, he said that it sounds like a spinner knob will benefit my attempt to drive and possibly a left foot accelerator if I am more comfortable with the left leg. And that these are items they work with all the time.

Now, i really don't know if I should just go there without an evaluation from a doctor, for them to see that i'm really fine. I mean, is it illegal to drive with the left?

Now I'm also nervous about contacting regular driving school because they might ask for a clearance from a neurologist?
Would this be the norm?

Last edited by ChrissyCP; 03-06-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Steffers2318 HB User

I got something filled out by my primary care doctor, not a neurologist. I believe I got the form at the DMV. If I were you I'd just have your regular doctor fill it out...that should be just as acceptable as a neurologist.

I found a specialized evaluation and training group using this website (putting in "state" and "facility type"): [url]http://www.aded.net/custom/directory/index.cfm[/url]

Old 03-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #15
(female)

01_Tara HB User

Maybe you should contact a rehab about driving... They help people who have been in accidents learn to drive or tell them where they should go.. I got my license and use hand controls I passed the test on the first try... I'm really proud of that cuz my brother had to take his twice.. *LOL* I learned to drive in High School -drivers ED

Closed Thread