It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
(male)

sacrelli HB User
Living on the East Coast (Weather wise)

Hi,
I'll start off by giving a brief background. First, let me say that I know I am very lucky. I was lucky enough to have the best care as a child that has given me the opportunity to have (in my physicians words) a "99 percent normal life" up to this point. When I was born doctors said I would probably be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of my life. At the time, my father was a practicing physician so he knew all about CP and he wanted to make sure I had the best life possible. My parents found me a great doctor who informed us of some newer procedures that could change my life for the better. It would take a lot of work and rehabilitation afterwards and there was obviously no guarantees since the procedure was fairly new. Long story short, I had my last surgery when I was 9. I now use no aides, other than leg braces (knee high). I've had my drivers license since I was 16 and am using no adaptions to the car and I am able to do everything I want. I am happy and grateful. I just thought that I would share my background during my first post before I got into my initial question.

Now, I live in Los Angeles and the weather is great. I also love the city. In less than a year a new life chapter will start for me and that is college. My original CP doctor moved to Philadelphia after my last surgery and we travel to see him about once a year, more to catch up and keep in touch as opposed to just a medical visit. (We still have a doctor here in LA that I see one or two times a year). Anyway, I love Philadelphia and I love New York City. I would love to be able to have a college experience there and perhaps live after school permanently. My CP only effects my lower extremities. My one concern is that my muscles will not be able to handle the frigid weather so I guess this question is for people who have left warm weather places for the cold successfully? I have spoken with my original doctor about this and he assures me that I should be fine. He tells me that it will take some getting use to but he has kids in worse condition that live fine in the cold weather. I was there once in Feb/March and it was 32 degrees and snowing. My body wasn't effected too much but I was also 15 years old. I am also thinking long term wise. I would love to hear some of your opinions and experiences.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
(female)

Malwm01 HB User
Re: Living on the East Coast (Weather wise)

Hey there!

I've lived in Michigan for all of my 25 years so I've never transistioned from a warm place to a colder place in the way you are thinking of BUT we do have very warm (sometimes 90°+ temps) summers and very cold winters (sometimes spending the better part of January or February below 0).

My point being that the end of May through September things are great, love it. October - April things are iffy and sometimes downright miserable. The first week or two that the temperatures change is the worst, there's no other way to describe it than to say that everything HURTS. Every muscle, every joint, sometimes I believe my hair hurts on those weeks. I ingest Motrin like it's candy and live in hot showers and walk around with lots of clothes on.

Eventually, my body adjusts and I can continue on with my normal life but I still ache a lot and occasionally I'll have a bad day or two and while it hurts a lot it's not the kind of pain I get in the first few weeks of temperature change. Also, and I don't know why but I have a similar issue with the cold spring rains. They cause just as much pain as the fall change from warm summer to cool winter.

As I write this now, the temps are in the low 20s outside and my right hip and wrist hurt and my left shoulder but I wouldn't even really think about it if I weren't writing about it, you know?

The worst thing about CP and winter though has to be the ice and snow. That will probably end up giving you more trouble than the actual temperatures. When I'm walking outside I practically keep one eye on the ground at all times. Falling on ice is the worst; well, unless you fall on the ice and then land in an icy puddle, that really is the worst.

I know it's not what you wanted, but I hope it helps.

There is one member that move from southern CA to TX for college but I haven't seen her post in awhile. Maybe she'll be able to give you some thoughts if she ends up around here... but these boards are pretty quiet sometimes.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
(male)

sacrelli HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwm01 View Post
Hey there!

I've lived in Michigan for all of my 25 years so I've never transistioned from a warm place to a colder place in the way you are thinking of BUT we do have very warm (sometimes 90°+ temps) summers and very cold winters (sometimes spending the better part of January or February below 0).

My point being that the end of May through September things are great, love it. October - April things are iffy and sometimes downright miserable. The first week or two that the temperatures change is the worst, there's no other way to describe it than to say that everything HURTS. Every muscle, every joint, sometimes I believe my hair hurts on those weeks. I ingest Motrin like it's candy and live in hot showers and walk around with lots of clothes on.

Eventually, my body adjusts and I can continue on with my normal life but I still ache a lot and occasionally I'll have a bad day or two and while it hurts a lot it's not the kind of pain I get in the first few weeks of temperature change. Also, and I don't know why but I have a similar issue with the cold spring rains. They cause just as much pain as the fall change from warm summer to cool winter.

As I write this now, the temps are in the low 20s outside and my right hip and wrist hurt and my left shoulder but I wouldn't even really think about it if I weren't writing about it, you know?

The worst thing about CP and winter though has to be the ice and snow. That will probably end up giving you more trouble than the actual temperatures. When I'm walking outside I practically keep one eye on the ground at all times. Falling on ice is the worst; well, unless you fall on the ice and then land in an icy puddle, that really is the worst.

I know it's not what you wanted, but I hope it helps.

There is one member that move from southern CA to TX for college but I haven't seen her post in awhile. Maybe she'll be able to give you some thoughts if she ends up around here... but these boards are pretty quiet sometimes.
Hey man, thanks for your long response, I appreciate it.

After your post a thought popped into my head. When you were younger do you remember if your body hurt as much? Is it possible that the cold will not effect me as much (for a few years) because I have really never been in cold temperature for a long period of time? Does that make sense? I should be hearing from the school I applied to in New Jersey soon. I like Los Angeles but I think it would be an awesome experience for me to go back east for my college years. We will see. Anything else you'd like to share about living in cold weather, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

Last edited by sacrelli; 12-18-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
(female)

Malwm01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrelli View Post
Hey man, thanks for your long response, I appreciate it.

After your post a thought popped into my head. When you were younger do you remember if your body hurt as much? Is it possible that the cold will not effect me as much (for a few years) because I have really never been in cold temperature for a long period of time? Does that make sense? I should be hearing from the school I applied to in New Jersey soon. I like Los Angeles but I think it would be an awesome experience for me to go back east for my college years. We will see. Anything else you'd like to share about living in cold weather, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
I don't have clear thoughts about why I had pain (even as early as 3 and 4 years old) but I had pain that even at the young age would make me scream at my mother that it hurts and 'I'm going to die.' Where I got that from I don't know but I remember being truly scared saying it. Mostly though I think the stuff that made me scream was spasms and I remember a different pain from age 8 that was probably cold related. Then again, I remember from 7/8 I didn't have a decent PT so for the most part I refused to go... so maybe that has something to do with it? I'll probably never know for certain.

The pain wasn't an every day thing though... I really have no idea if it was from the cold or something else. I do know that until age 15 I was doing PT (1-3 times a week with a PT and then 1/2-full hour on my own or with my mom), that probably lessened the a bit of the pain I think.

As for not growing up with it, I don't know. I would think that would make it even harder to deal with but I have no idea, really.

As for living in the cold weather... no real tips other than ice is not a friend... and if you've never heard of it there is 'black ice' or ice that can't be seen. That's all I can think of.

Good luck and I hope you get accepted where you want to go! You'll be OK with winter before you know it (the beauty of snow really is worth everything).

We're expecting up to a foot of snow tonight into tomorrow... I may bad mouth it, cry and whine about it, but to wake up to fresh snow... is like the world is starting over with a clean slate.

Closed Thread