It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cerebral Palsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dragonballwizard HB User
AFO's

Hi,

I am getting a AFO for my left leg. I am not sure what type it is. I was casted and am waiting for it to come in. I am excited about it because it beats falling at my age. your body can only take so much of that.

I was told to get some long socks (so I did) 2 dollar plain white knee hi's at walmart.

As far as the shoes go ......I have hikers that I wear right now. He told me the next time I come to bring the socks and to look in my closet and see if I had shoes that are rounded nothing pointed.

He said with my hiker we can take the sole out so it will have more depth.
My question is: is there any adults on here that have AFO's and if so what kind of shoes did you end up getting to go with them?

He did not say if I would have to get bigger sizes or not.

thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
Re: AFO's

I had AFO's when I was growing up (until I was almost ten). I wore tennis shoes most of the time. I think we had to go a half size bigger than normal in order for the AFO's to fit inside of them.

I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dragonballwizard HB User

Thank you OZ for your time. Yes it does help because this is my first time wearing this type of brace. I appreciate your response

Old 12-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
(female)

KellyCz HB User

I have an AFO for my right leg. (I am right hemiplegic.) I was always told to get shoes with removable insoles, as it allows for more room for the "ankle" area of the brace, as they tend to be wide. If you can't find tennis shoes with a removable insole (BTW - New Balance works great.) just try to go with a wide-width. The orthotist that I see put a cushion in my shoe without the AFO so that I did not have to buy 2 pairs of shoes. It adds a bit of lift, as well so that my gait is not any more uneven than it already is. Good luck.

Kelly

Last edited by KellyCz; 12-22-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dragonballwizard HB User

kelly, what wonderful ideas. when you say New Balance works, are those wide with? Oz and Kelly, thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post you both have helped tremendously. I can't thank you enough
Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
(female)

KellyCz HB User

Dragon,
I don't need New Balance shoes in wide width because those shoes have removable insoles, and I have been told (not sure if this is true or not so don't quote me) that they were originally designed to be used with braces (orthotics.) Good luck again and Merry Christmas.
Kelly

Old 12-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dragonballwizard HB User

OK, Great thanks, I will look for those. I appreciate your responses. Take care and Happy New year!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
(female)

LandonsMommy05 HB User

Dear Dragon,

I don't personally have to wear the AFOs and I don't know how much this will help, but I'll tell you what little I know.

My son is 3, and he has them..along with a few other braces. While he is still young and we have to buy shoes upon shoes...you get the idea...I have to go up atleast a 1/2 size, sometimes a full size, depends on how the shoe is made. My son wears boots a lot of the time, and usually...they are lace up and have to be a size bigger. Don't know if this helps, but atleast I gave my 2 cents..maybe you can get something out of it. :-)

-Emily

Old 01-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
(female)

open_the_door HB User

My son is 4 and he wears AFOs. He will be getting new ones in about a month or so. I bought him hatchback shoes with his last AFOs, and they worked really well. They cost 50.00 plus shipping. He had them for a year and they were well worth it. I had his therapist measure his AFOs so I knew exactly what size shoes to buy because they are so expensive. They have velcro straps on the sides and on the top which makes it very easy to put on the AFOs. I tried regular shoes, but they were so large, and he scissors, so he would trip over his feet.

I hope that helped.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
(female)

LandonsMommy05 HB User

My son scissors too, but his therapist said he'd be okay in regular shoes. I didn't know about those shoes, so I'm glad you said something. Getting his regular shoes on in the morning is really hard.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
(female)

open_the_door HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsMommy05 View Post
My son scissors too, but his therapist said he'd be okay in regular shoes. I didn't know about those shoes, so I'm glad you said something. Getting his regular shoes on in the morning is really hard.

I'm glad that I could help. You can find those hatchback shoes on the net. They are so easy to put on and off. It makes a world a difference.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
(female)

Malwm01 HB User

Another shoe that one can buy on the internet that was made specifically for use over AFOs are Keeping Pace Shoes.

No personal experience with them as I haven't worn AFOs in a long time but it's an option.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
(female)

LandonsMommy05 HB User

Thanks a whole bunch. I just have to wonder this too...what other things is your child using? My son has a SWASH brace, of course the AFOs, night braces and he has a walker and a wheelchair on order. I have to drive an Expedition just to haul all his stuff.

Closed Thread